Miami vs Notre Dame Idea...

Legendary1

Recruit
Banned
I know it’s probably not going to happen and I’m not sure how the scheduling agreement is written for ND and ACC. 5 games a season I think. It’s too bad we can’t get ND as an every year opponent. Or can we? Seems like the might feel they can benefit by playing in south Florida every other season. If this somehow could happen, wouldn’t it be sweet to have them scheduled ever year on rivalry weekend? I notice that they do not have a consistent rivalry weekend opponent. Sometimes they play USC that day. Sometimes Stanford. Etc.
We really don’t have a consistent opponent for that weekend either. Seems like it would be a good fit for both.

Advertisement
You have the 5 ACC games, then they have 3 (sometimes 4) permanent opponents, USC, Stanford,Navy and now Michigan again.
That only leaves only 3 other dates a year for ND. And, love them or hate them, they are the "marquee" team everyone wants to play.
They are in the enviable position they can decide who and what terms they want to play.

Advertisement
I know it’s probably not going to happen and I’m not sure how the scheduling agreement is written for ND and ACC. 5 games a season I think. It’s too bad we can’t get ND as an every year opponent. Or can we? Seems like the might feel they can benefit by playing in south Florida every other season. If this somehow could happen, wouldn’t it be sweet to have them scheduled ever year on rivalry weekend? I notice that they do not have a consistent rivalry weekend opponent. Sometimes they play USC that day. Sometimes Stanford. Etc.
We really don’t have a consistent opponent for that weekend either. Seems like it would be a good fit for both.
I would love this. Dad has season tickets to ND and I'd have my every other year game pencilled in

You have the 5 ACC games, then they have 3 (sometimes 4) permanent opponents, USC, Stanford,Navy and now Michigan again.
That only leaves only 3 other dates a year for ND. And, love them or hate them, they are the "marquee" team everyone wants to play.
They are in the enviable position they can decide who and what terms they want to play.

This. ND is not really concerned with a rivalry weekend tradition. It seems the traditional rivalry weekend things have shifted because of a lot of conference realignment. The best most can hope for is 2, 3, 4 game series agreements. I know Pitt and WVU are scheduled for a 4 game slate that starts in 2022 but it hasn't really been annual since 2011 I believe. Texas and TAMU rivalry weekend tradition is gone too. I don't think this is something that Miami or ND really "need" so to speak, more of a nice to have.

Neither team would be interested in that.

ND has contractual obligations to play the ACC schedule that has already been determined for at least the next 15-ish years. So these would have to be true OOC games, and neither team is going to sign up for an annual OOC series. Cool idea, less than 0% chance it comes to fruition.

I agree. At the same time reading some of the replies, it doesn't look like it'll happen. However, if not ND, definitely would be nice to close out the season with a highly anticipated rivalry game. You know, perhaps it's just me, but Miami-FSU seems to be a much bigger deal than UF-FSU. Be nice if we could switch the FSU game to the final week of the season, would be EPIC.

Advertisement
This also won't happen for a myriad of reasons but it would be interesting if two non-rival "marquee" programs just decided that they were going to attempt to manufacture one.

Like what if one day we agreed to play USC or Michigan or Texas for a decade straight in home-and-homes with maybe occasional neutral site matchups too?

I agree. At the same time reading some of the replies, it doesn't look like it'll happen. However, if not ND, definitely would be nice to close out the season with a highly anticipated rivalry game. You know, perhaps it's just me, but Miami-FSU seems to be a much bigger deal than UF-FSU. Be nice if we could switch the FSU game to the final week of the season, would be EPIC.

I think that would take some FL legislation, kind of like when they had to step in and tell UF they had to keep playing FSU when they tried to drop them like they dropped us.

If they were smart, they would want to play us every year. They were playing us when they sole their last NC and played us the year the made the playoffs and 2017 when we destroyed their shot. Both teams are better when playing each other.

Advertisement
I’d be in favor of at least rotating that game every year.

Notre Dame should be on our schedule every year, it just makes sense to me
Notre Dame did play UM every year in the 60s and 70s and they had no problem with scheduling us cause they beat us every year. Its in the 80s when we starting beating their asses (20-0, 58-7) that they stopped the rivalry. Same with Penn State.

Advertisement
Notre Dame did play UM every year in the 60s and 70s and they had no problem with scheduling us cause they beat us every year. Its in the 80s when we starting beating their asses (20-0, 58-7) that they stopped the rivalry. Same with Penn State.

ND also looks to play in good weather. For many years, Miami was an easy game and played in great weather.

Miami and ND should play every year. It’s simple and great for College Football. Would be great if the ACC got them in our conference.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back