Miami vs Louisville 2/16

Advertisement
He had a few dunks and boxed the **** out of some dudes that are way more solid, traditional power forwards. Most people dont realize he's playing a stretch 4 and has to bang with 5's and 4's. He's the only 4 on the floor with 3 2's and a 1. A small 1 at that.

Yeah, I do realize that guys can play multiple positions, but the "starting lineup" graphic at the beginning of the game was hilarious. Four guards and a forward!

Advertisement
We are a game in back of Duke. Four of their next five games are on ESPN. Three of our next five are on ACCN.

Someday. Someday. K is retiring, we've got a shot!

He had a few dunks and boxed the **** out of some dudes that are way more solid, traditional power forwards. Most people dont realize he's playing a stretch 4 and has to bang with 5's and 4's. He's the only 4 on the floor with 3 2's and a 1. A small 1 at that.
Exactly. Sam takes a lot of **** on this board, but he's totally being played out of position and being asked to do things that are just not the strength of his game. Sure, he can be a little timid at times (especially offensively), but we've watched him develop into a solid shot blocker this season. He's also rebounded much better the last couple games.

Great road win. Wasn't always pretty, but I'll take an ACC road win any day, especially when we've never won in said arena. Some thoughts:

- It was nice to see Miami win a game in a little bit of a different fashion last night. We only forced 10 turnovers and had just 6 points off turnovers. We also shot poorly from 3 (other than that stretch from Moore to start the game), but we found other ways to score (38 points in the paint).
- He doesn't get a ton of attention, but I thought Jordan Miller was absolutely key. 10 points (5/6 shooting), 7 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 0 turnovers. He also came up with some key defensive stops, and a huge putback when we were on the ropes late. He's the kind of glue guy that can win you games in March.
- Sam takes a lot of crap on this board, and yes, sometimes he's too timid, but I'll take 8 points, 9 boards, and 3 blocks from him, especially on an off shooting night.
- Moore was frustrating last night and was part of why Louisville was able to claw back into it late (other than the refs and poor clock management). He had several ill advised turnovers and took a few bad shots. I know we have to take the good and the bad with him, but we clearly need less hero ball from him.
- Wong and Kam didn't shoot great from 3 (a combined 4/12), but they found other ways to score. Neither of these guys has been getting calls lately, though. I saw them both get hacked a bunch of times without a call. Kam should've had an and 1 late in the game.
- Walker continues his late season turnaround. He has given us solid minutes the last several games. Need more of that going forward. The starters can't do it all.

Let's hope we snap out of this poor 3 point shooting streak and avenge the UVA loss (which was easily our worst ACC performance) on Saturday in front of a packed crowd at the Watsco. Go Canes!

Advertisement
We are a game in back of Duke. Four of their next five games are on ESPN. Three of our next five are on ACCN.

Someday. Someday. K is retiring, we've got a shot!
Yes, since we beat Duke, UM is just one game back, but we're actually 2 games back of ND. Because we lost to ND, we need them to lose twice to have any chance at winning the ACC title.

Exactly. Sam takes a lot of **** on this board, but he's totally being played out of position and being asked to do things that are just not the strength of his game. Sure, he can be a little timid at times (especially offensively), but we've watched him develop into a solid shot blocker this season. He's also rebounded much better the last couple games.

And when he's being soft it's warranted. Playing out of position has nothing to do with your toughness. It's an approach. It's a mindset. It's not necessarily a skill. He's got to come with it every single game. For me that's the most frustrating part. He shows he's capable of doing it in spurts. What's stopping him from doing it on a more frequent basis? We all know he's got some skills and if you match that up with quality intangibles (like toughness), we might be on to something. We gotta stop making excuses for him. At the end of the day he NEEDS to be a ball player

Great road win. Wasn't always pretty, but I'll take an ACC road win any day, especially when we've never won in said arena. Some thoughts:

- It was nice to see Miami win a game in a little bit of a different fashion last night. We only forced 10 turnovers and had just 6 points off turnovers. We also shot poorly from 3 (other than that stretch from Moore to start the game), but we found other ways to score (38 points in the paint).
- He doesn't get a ton of attention, but I thought Jordan Miller was absolutely key. 10 points (5/6 shooting), 7 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 0 turnovers. He also came up with some key defensive stops, and a huge putback when we were on the ropes late. He's the kind of glue guy that can win you games in March.
- Sam takes a lot of crap on this board, and yes, sometimes he's too timid, but I'll take 8 points, 9 boards, and 3 blocks from him, especially on an off shooting night.
- Moore was frustrating last night and was part of why Louisville was able to claw back into it late (other than the refs and poor clock management). He had several ill advised turnovers and took a few bad shots. I know we have to take the good and the bad with him, but we clearly need less hero ball from him.
- Wong and Kam didn't shoot great from 3 (a combined 4/12), but they found other ways to score. Neither of these guys has been getting calls lately, though. I saw them both get hacked a bunch of times without a call. Kam should've had an and 1 late in the game.
- Walker continues his late season turnaround. He has given us solid minutes the last several games. Need more of that going forward. The starters can't do it all.

Let's hope we snap out of this poor 3 point shooting streak and avenge the UVA loss (which was easily our worst ACC performance) on Saturday in front of a packed crowd at the Watsco. Go Canes!
I hadn't realized we had never won at Louisville. Although I expected Miami to get the W it's a very good win nonetheless. It's always nice to break a losing streak... Miller was definitely our unsung hero last night. Was steady throughout and made some timely plays down the stretch.... Walker was good as well. He gave us some good minutes. Still needs to do a better of job on the boards, but it's definitely encouraging to see the improvement in his play. We're going to need him if we're to make a run closing out the season.... I thought the most impressive thing about last night was we didn't fold when Louisville made their runs. We may have bent, but we never broke. Again, it's okay to expect more from this team. Larranaga has shown that he isn't done after all and this team actually has a chance to make some noise if everything falls into place. If it calls for occasional criticism, so be it. As long as it isn't malicious I have no problem with folks expressing concern or disapproval towards players and/or coaches. GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
Yes, since we beat Duke, UM is just one game back, but we're actually 2 games back of ND. Because we lost to ND, we need them to lose twice to have any chance at winning the ACC title.
The ACC regular season title isn't actually an official title. It isn't recognized by the conference. At least not by a trophy. So if we wind up tied with Notre Dame atop of the conference you can bet t-shirts and hats will be given out on the court after the season finale.

Players not from the USA could turn around and say why do so many American players shoot FTs so poorly? Basketball in the US has become - over time - more about athleticism (running, jumping, dunking, playing physically). In Europe and Down Under it's more about basketball skills (passing and shooting).

Players not from the USA could turn around and say why do so many American players shoot FTs so poorly? Basketball in the US has become - over time - more about athleticism (running, jumping, dunking, playing physically). In Europe and Down Under it's more about basketball skills (passing and shooting).
Euro as a rule are far more polished, just a different game as you know. Look at the big men that play in the NBA, unreal skill set most of them have. Like watching old Dean Smith/Wooden teams.

Advertisement
1. American players - Total package! Super skilled, athletic & tough

2. European players - very skilled, but soft
3. African players - Athletic & tough
4. Latin American players - semi-skilled & tough
5. Asian/Oceanic players - skilled & soft

See Above Yes GIF by Dash Home Loans

Last edited:
The ACC regular season title isn't actually an official title. It isn't recognized by the conference. At least not by a trophy. So if we wind up tied with Notre Dame atop of the conference you can bet t-shirts and hats will be given out on the court after the season finale.
I don't understand why the ACC doesn't have a regular season conference champion. It kind of devalues the regular season and puts more perceived emphasis on the conference tournament. A team could be in last place during the regular season an then win the conference tournament where they'll receive a trophy. Makes no sense!!!

Advertisement
Back