Miami/VA game - best way to get travel there

Gmoneycane

Recruit
I'm getting tickets to the Miami/VA football game. I'm coming from the Fort Lauderdale area, and want to fly up there. Could someone please let me know what's the best way to go (e.g., airport to fly into; decent hotels)? I heard Charlottesville has a very small airport and may be more expensive to fly into it. Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Advertisement
Richmond has an airport as well but it will probably be tough to get a direct flight. Otherwise your best bet is probably to fly into DCA or IAD and drive 2 - 3 hours.

FLL-CLT-CHO on American is usually comparable to flying into Richmond or DC and having to rent a car and drive. The last time I checked on this game the flights were like $335 round-trip.

Advertisement
Since Charlottesville's airport is "small", does flying into it mean going on a prop plane? Sorry for the question. I haven't flown in a very long time. But I once flew from Tally to Ft. Lauderdale, and it was on a prop plane and I hated it. So I'm wondering if it's better to go to Richmond or D.C., and just drive. Thanks guys. I appreciate your advice!

Since Charlottesville's airport is "small", does flying into it mean going on a prop plane? Sorry for the question. I haven't flown in a very long time. But I once flew from Tally to Ft. Lauderdale, and it was on a prop plane and I hated it. So I'm wondering if it's better to go to Richmond or D.C., and just drive. Thanks guys. I appreciate your advice!

The two times I've flown in there have been on mid-size non-prop planes. I can't remember if you disembark on the tarmac though as that's always a treat if you're coming from South Florida weather to the late fall/winter nonsense of the mid-atlantic.

Advertisement
JetBlue used to have direct flights from Ft. Lauderdale directly to Richmond. From there you get on 64W and you will hit it dead on.

I live in between DC and Philadelphia. Whenever I fly to Miami it's usually cheapest to fly BWI to Miami.

Advertisement
I live in Charlottesville. It's worth it to fly into Charlottesville. You can get decent flights from FLL-CHO. I do it two or three times a year. Sometimes you can get flights as cheap as $180 or so. Really just depends. I think that on average, it's about $50-$75 more to fly out of CHO rather than one of the DC airports or Richmond. My rule is that if the difference is less than $100, I'll just fly directly into CHO. I really hate flying and then immediately having to drive another 2hours home. The Richmond airport is like 90 miles from C'Ville and DC is about 100 miles.

Also, you won't get a direct flight out of FLL to CHO. You'll likely have a layover in ATL or Charlotte depending on your carrier.

Delta flys into CHO and you will layover in ATL.

If you're going to go to the game i would recommend coming in a few days early into either Richmond or DC. Hang out in those places for a few days and then go to the game and leave out of CHO. DC is a great place and is a lot of fun.

Advertisement
conestoga.jpg

I'm getting tickets to the Miami/VA football game. I'm coming from the Fort Lauderdale area, and want to fly up there. Could someone please let me know what's the best way to go (e.g., airport to fly into; decent hotels)? I heard Charlottesville has a very small airport and may be more expensive to fly into it. Thanks, I appreciate your help.

I live in Charlottesville. It's worth it to fly into Charlottesville. You can get decent flights from FLL-CHO. I do it two or three times a year. Sometimes you can get flights as cheap as $180 or so. Really just depends. I think that on average, it's about $50-$75 more to fly out of CHO rather than one of the DC airports or Richmond. My rule is that if the difference is less than $100, I'll just fly directly into CHO. I really hate flying and then immediately having to drive another 2hours home. The Richmond airport is like 90 miles from C'Ville and DC is about 100 miles.

Thanks. One other person said that when they flew into Charlottesville, the planes were NOT prop planes. Did you also not fly on a prop plane? Sorry to ask about this, but I've been on a prop plane and it scared me. Again, thanks for your help, and everyone else's. Can't wait to see the Canes crush VA!

Advertisement
Back