Miami-UAB Play by Play defense

Whats up y’all. Reviewing the Defense on a play by play basis today.

I’d appreciate if y’all followed along and let me know your thoughts.

Images included for certain plays.

Q1: 15:00

Zach McCloud fooled on the play action. He’s angling towards the RB. The RT blocking Phillips is hiding the WR Mitchell on the reverse and Mccloud just didn’t see him.

If he was aware I’m confident this ball isn’t being completed.

View attachment 129863

Q1: 14:35

Look at the size of that hole. Phillips has contain and drove his man 3 yards in the backfield.

Their OL is already at the LBs. You can tell this will be a big gain before the back reaches the LOS. Got bailed by the penalty.

View attachment 129864

Q1: 14:09

Zach Mccloud with the bad angle here on this screen pass. You see that RB coming out he needed to be a little wider. Even if he gets blocked by the two OL him being in the way slows the play down enough for help to arrive for a smaller gain.

Phillips was going for the sack. I would have liked to see him chill and maybe drop back to pick that or stay with the RB when he recognized screen.

Especially when you see Jon Ford already about to pickup the sack.

View attachment 129865

Much appreciated. Thats some good **** MCC...

Advertisement
How good would this defence be if Shannon was running it?

Feels like we've got the horses, especially on the Dline, to just play something more sound and simple.

This defence just seems to gamble all the time - I get that the whole point of it is to be disruptive, but unless you're way ahead of the curve (Diaz was more than Baker is), it leaves you looking foolish.
The defenses under Shannon (while HC) were better than the Diaz/Baker units.
People act like Diaz brought defense here after a 15 year drought. The 2010 defensive unit was GOOD.

The secondary ate. We had one of the best passing defenses in the country.
And they had far less talent.

He had a **** of a game going back and watching the game over snap by snap
I agree and was posting this during the game. His play jumped off the screen to me especially his motor. He played with reckless abandon, with pure intentions to make an impact.

Roche and Rousseau would have been absolutely ridiculous. Lots of season left but with that motor and skill set playing opposite Rousseau would definitely put him in the top 3 rounds of the draft without question.

I agree and was posting this during the game. His play jumped off the screen to me especially his motor. He played with reckless abandon, with pure intentions to make an impact.

Roche and Rousseau would have been absolutely ridiculous. Lots of season left but with that motor and skill set playing opposite Rousseau would definitely put him in the top 3 rounds of the draft without question.

No doubt. After watching Roche in game 1. (I had reservations about him coming from Temple and playing power 5) honestly I think if Rousseau played this year. There would be **** that teams could do with Miami.

Those two lead Miami to 10 wins regardless of what the offense does or didn’t do. They’d free up Jon Ford and Silvera so much more.

It’s the kind of DL that leads teams to be great. Nobody is consistently blocking those two for four quarters.

It would be a long *** game every game and football is mental too! O-lines would’ve just gave the fucc up.

Advertisement
Nesta Silvera had a better game in week one than any DT on the roster had all last season. I’m not counting Rousseau lining up at NT. I think the rotation of him, Ford, Miller and Harrison-Hunte is very solid. Good mix off run stuffers and guys who can get into the backfield.

Whats up y’all. Reviewing the Defense on a play by play basis today.

I’d appreciate if y’all followed along and let me know your thoughts.

Images included for certain plays.

Q1: 15:00

Zach McCloud fooled on the play action. He’s angling towards the RB. The RT blocking Phillips is hiding the WR Mitchell on the reverse and Mccloud just didn’t see him.

If he was aware I’m confident this ball isn’t being completed.

View attachment 129863

Q1: 14:35

Look at the size of that hole. Phillips has contain and drove his man 3 yards in the backfield.

Their OL is already at the LBs. You can tell this will be a big gain before the back reaches the LOS. Got bailed by the penalty.

View attachment 129864

Q1: 14:09

Zach Mccloud with the bad angle here on this screen pass. You see that RB coming out he needed to be a little wider. Even if he gets blocked by the two OL him being in the way slows the play down enough for help to arrive for a smaller gain.

Phillips was going for the sack. I would have liked to see him chill and maybe drop back to pick that or stay with the RB when he recognized screen.

Especially when you see Jon Ford already about to pickup the sack.

View attachment 129865

Mccloud is a liability who else is a liability???

Advertisement
The defenses under Shannon (while HC) were better than the Diaz/Baker units.
People act like Diaz brought defense here after a 15 year drought. The 2010 defensive unit was GOOD.

The secondary ate. We had one of the best passing defenses in the country.
And they had far less talent.
Im inclined to question that.. Its late now but will look into it in morning..

Diaz D numbers were impressive as ****..

Im inclined to question that.. Its late now but will look into it in morning..

Diaz D numbers were impressive as ****..

2010 NATIONAL RANKINGS
#1 in Tackles For Loss
#8 in Sacks
#3 in Passing Yards Allowed
#5 in Passer Rating
#3 in Completion Percentage Allowed
#2 in Passing TD's Allowed
#11 in Redzone Scoring Percentage (FG or TD)
#4 in Redzone TD Percentage
#20 in Yards Per Play
#19 in 3rd Down Conversion Percentage
#27 in Interceptions
Top-25 in PBU's and Passes Defended

SECONDARY
Brandon Harris
Jojo Nicolas (RIP)
Vaughn Telemaque
Ryan Hill
Brandon McGee
Demarcus Van Dyke
Jared Campbell
Corey Nelms

DEFENSIVE LINE
Micanor Regis
Allen Bailey
Marcus Forston
Marcus Robinson
Olivier Vernon
Luther Robinson
Andrew Smith
Curtis Porter
Adawale Ojomo

LINEBACKERS
Sean Spence
Ramon Buchanon
Colin McCarthy
Jordan Futch
CJ Holton
Kylan Robinson

The numbers are certainly close enough to say that Shannon and Co were doing just as good of a job, if not better. But some of the stats are so close that it would just be splitting hairs. That would bring us to the next debate...WHO HAD MORE TALENT TO WORK WITH?

I don't think anybody in their right mind would take THAT 2010 secondary over the DB's that Diaz has had while here. I don't think it's even close. DVD was a track star posing as a football player. Brandon Harris was a less physical version of Bandy. And let's not even get started on the Safeties.

Would you take Allen Bailey, Oliver Vernon, Marcus Robinson and Marcus Forston over what Diaz has had at Defensive Line? Over Gerald Willis, Chad Thomas, Joe Jackson, Jon Garvin, Nesta Silvera and RJ McIntosh? (there's two 5-stars on that list)

I'll give Shannon the Linebacker position, cause I would definitely take Sean Spence and Colin McCarthy over Shaq and Pinckney. Spence had ridiculous instincts and McCarthy ran a **** 4.6 at nearly 240lbs.

Other than Allen Bailey (who was simply a freak) and maybe McCarthy, the Diaz units had way more NFL type bodies too. Shannon's unit had a 4'8" Marcus Robinson eating at DE. Spence and Buchanan looked like they were still in high school. Brandon Harris was tiny, playing CB on the outside. DVD was built like an Italian Greyhound. And was Randy Phillips on that team too? I'm pretty sure he's the only D1 Safety I've seen with a dad bod. Vernon was arguably our best NFL guy out of that bunch and even he was considered undersized.
Meanwhile Diaz has had a bunch of prototype bodies at Defensive Line (have we even had a DE under 6'4"?) and a secondary full of 5'11"-6'2" guys who are built like Greek gods. Fvckin' Michael Jackson could've played Linebacker on Shannon's defense. LOL

I'm mainly joking with that last point, because obviously APPEARANCES don't win games, but the two units didn't even look the same getting off the bus.

2010 NATIONAL RANKINGS
#1 in Tackles For Loss
#8 in Sacks
#5 in Passer Rating
#20 in Yards Per Play
#27 in Interceptions

SECONDARY
Brandon Harris
Jojo Nicolas (RIP)
Vaughn Telemaque
Ryan Hill
Brandon McGee
Demarcus Van Dyke
Jared Campbell
Corey Nelms

DEFENSIVE LINE
Micanor Regis
Allen Bailey
Marcus Forston
Marcus Robinson
Olivier Vernon
Luther Robinson
Andrew Smith
Curtis Porter
Adawale Ojomo

LINEBACKERS
Sean Spence
Ramon Buchanon
Colin McCarthy
Jordan Futch
CJ Holton
Kylan Robinson

The numbers are certainly close enough to say that Shannon and Co were doing just as good of a job, if not better. But some of the stats are so close that it would just be splitting hairs. That would bring us to the next debate...WHO HAD MORE TALENT TO WORK WITH?

I don't think anybody in their right mind would take THAT 2010 secondary over the DB's that Diaz has had while here. I don't think it's even close. DVD was a track star posing as a football player. Brandon Harris was a less physical version of Bandy. And let's not even get started on the Safeties.

Would you take Allen Bailey, Oliver Vernon, Marcus Robinson and Marcus Forston over what Diaz has had at Defensive Line? Over Gerald Willis, Chad Thomas, Joe Jackson, Jon Garvin, Nesta Silvera and RJ McIntosh? (there's two 5-stars on that list)

I'll give Shannon the Linebacker position, cause I would definitely take Sean Spence and Colin McCarthy over Shaq and Pinckney. Spence had ridiculous instincts and McCarthy ran a **** 4.6 at nearly 240lbs.

Other than Allen Bailey (who was simply a freak) and maybe McCarthy, the Diaz units had way more NFL type bodies too. Shannon's unit had a 4'8" Marcus Robinson eating at DE. Spence and Buchanan looked like they were still in high school. Brandon Harris was tiny, playing CB on the outside. DVD was built like an Italian Greyhound. And was Randy Phillips on that team too? I'm pretty sure he's the only D1 Safety I've seen with a dad bod. Vernon was arguably our best NFL guy out of that bunch and even he was considered undersized.
Meanwhile Diaz has had a bunch of prototype bodies at Defensive Line (have we even had a DE under 6'4"?) and a secondary full of 5'11"-6'2" guys who are built like Greek gods. Fvckin' Michael Jackson could've played Linebacker on Shannon's defense. LOL

I'm mainly joking with that last point, because obviously APPEARANCES don't win games, but the two units didn't even look the same getting off the bus.
You left out rushing defense and scoring defense. That team was good against the pass but they also got run over by almost everyone they played. Giving up 175 yards per game on the ground and 26 points per game isn’t exactly fantastic. They gave up 300 yards rushing to FSU and another 300+to Georgia Tech. Virginia Tech hit them for over 250 on the ground. Notre Dame, Virginia and Ohio State were all just under 200 yards rushing. The only FBS teams they held under 150 yards rushing were Pittsburgh, Duke, Maryland and UNC (they had 149 yards). No reason to pass the ball against a team when you can just run all over them.

Overall I’m a simple man.

Take away the easy things and make a team beat you.

the hardest throw to make in all levels of football is the outside throw. So in my mind taking away the easy stuff inside the hashes as well as interior runs should be a staple of any defense.

Have your CBs play inside out and use the sideline as their friend. That kills a lot of the inside slant easy throws when your CB is already shaded inside to make a play on the ball.

Force that QB to make the lower percentage throws pin your ears back and feast. If he’s hitting on all the low percentage throws he might just be the next Tom Brady, Manning, Marino.

Throwing inside the numbers or hashes should be difficult. And I would prefer to see more alignments that help us do that.
You just described the basics of my preferred defensive philosophy. I might pinch my ends to keep QB’s in pocket in college game, but certainly agree.

Advertisement
Defensively we have the talent. We get gashed by being too cute with the stunts and blitzes. We also get gashed because of cute pre snap alignments that allow us to get out leveraged.

2010 NATIONAL RANKINGS
#1 in Tackles For Loss
#8 in Sacks
#5 in Passer Rating
#20 in Yards Per Play
#27 in Interceptions

SECONDARY
Brandon Harris
Jojo Nicolas (RIP)
Vaughn Telemaque
Ryan Hill
Brandon McGee
Demarcus Van Dyke
Jared Campbell
Corey Nelms

DEFENSIVE LINE
Micanor Regis
Allen Bailey
Marcus Forston
Marcus Robinson
Olivier Vernon
Luther Robinson
Andrew Smith
Curtis Porter
Adawale Ojomo

LINEBACKERS
Sean Spence
Ramon Buchanon
Colin McCarthy
Jordan Futch
CJ Holton
Kylan Robinson

I probably wont be as thorough as you but lemme try, Ill pick 2018 Manny D

2018 Defensive Rankings
#1 TFL
#11 Sacks
#1 Passing yards allowed
#1 Passer Rating
#11 Opp Completion %
#1 Passing TD's Allowed
#55 Redzone Scoring Percentage (FG or TD) (think this is the year EVERY KICKER MADE EVERY FG AGAINST US, lol)
#14 Redzone TD Percentage
#3 Yards per play
#4 3rd Down Conversion Percentage
#16 Interceptions
In 50s in PBU and Passes Defended

Mind you this is not in support of Baker, he has changed the defense and I dont think its for the better, Sometimes people when a coach moves from HC and takes hands off approach both sides can suffer because he doesnt have expertise in one and the unit he was controlling drops off because he is HC and not DC now (happened last year) but I think Manny is a good DC

Ill add this from earlier this year

Advertisement
Back