Miami-UAB Play by Play defense

Advertisement
Thanks for the analysis, MotorCity.

What are your thoughts on the game after reviewing?
I’m a defensive guy. So I only focused there. It’s my absolute favorite side of the ball. I’m an old school mentality. If they don’t score they don’t win.

With that said. Defensively this Defensive Line did what they were supposed to against UAB caliber OL. They dominated. That first drive wasn’t that hot but once they settled in they owned the rest of the night.

UAB QBs were under pressure and made some incredible throws under pressure. Some of them they hit on.....others they didn’t. We had about 4 sacks we missed on just with them getting rid of the ball so quickly but pressure was there even if the stats don’t show it.

I was happy seeing guys get hands on the football. It’s time to start converting some of those into INTs.

They knew they couldn’t just match up with us talent wise so they ran a Gameplan that got the ball out quickly. Motions, screens, picks, unbalanced formations the whole 9.

The linebackers......tbh didn’t really have the chance to do much because the DL took over.....THAT MUCH.

The few times they had opportunities to make plays I did see Jennings do a few things well. Mccloud had more bad tape than good. Honestly his performance was like a D on a individual basis. He made two good reads in 60 minutes of football. That’s not acceptable.

His lack of speed was a problem and showed up multiple times tonight. I don’t know what he runs 40 wise but it wasn’t good enough to keep up with the RBs in the flats on pass plays or on stretch outside run plays.

Football and defense in particular is about angles and he took a lot of poor angles.

I would like to not see so many wide open WRs. We need better coverage from the back 7 period.

Ivey is so **** close to being able to put things together which is probably what the coaches are banking on. A lot of times he’s in position. But something has to not be there mentally for him.

We still are trying to figure out who are dudes are IMO. But we need to get guys more reps and game experience and field our best 11.

Very happy with the DL. They didn’t give the LBs much to do. So maybe we find out more about the backers against Louisville.

My biggest gripe with Miami is pre-snap alignments and that’s been a problem for over a decade now. Seems to me it isn’t that difficult to get a hat on a hat and make sure that you aren’t outnumbered on one side of the field.

On the touchdown run UAB had. They outnumbered us on that side of the field.....I feel basic stuff like that is just kind of inexcusable.

We will have bumps just like last year. But overall think we should be a top 20 unit nationally. We aren’t a top 10 D. But like a 15-20 unit. And that’s solid enough if the offense can score just 28 PPG

Last edited:
Overall I’m a simple man.

Take away the easy things and make a team beat you.

the hardest throw to make in all levels of football is the outside throw. So in my mind taking away the easy stuff inside the hashes as well as interior runs should be a staple of any defense.

Have your CBs play inside out and use the sideline as their friend. That kills a lot of the inside slant easy throws when your CB is already shaded inside to make a play on the ball.

Force that QB to make the lower percentage throws pin your ears back and feast. If he’s hitting on all the low percentage throws he might just be the next Tom Brady, Manning, Marino.

Throwing inside the numbers or hashes should be difficult. And I would prefer to see more alignments that help us do that.

Advertisement
Agree 100% on McCloud. Not as athletic as we all thought he might be as a recruit and just does not have those natural instincts that Steed, Brooks and even Jennings seem to have.

@Lance Roffers pointed out in 2017 his poor angles and how slow he is to diagnose. I just didn't see how that was going to get any better...

Overall I’m a simple man.

Take away the easy things and make a team beat you.

the hardest throw to make in all levels of football is the outside throw. So in my mind taking away the easy stuff inside the hashes as well as interior runs should be a staple of any defense.

Have your CBs play inside out and use the sideline as their friend. That kills a lot of the inside slant easy throws when your CB is already shaded inside to make a play on the ball.

Force that QB to make the lower percentage throws pin your ears back and feast. If he’s hitting on all the low percentage throws he might just be the next Tom Brady, Manning, Marino.

Throwing inside the numbers or hashes should be difficult. And I would prefer to see more alignments that help us do that.
Wow, really cool that you said this.
This has been my philosophy as a DC for many years. Heard Saban speak about it at a clinic a while back.

I always want to make the ball go outside. The easy throws are inside. The easy/downhill runs are inside. The further out you get from the ball, the lower the success rate.

My favorite coverage is a Cover-3 Match (invented by Belichick and Saban in the 90's) and we place an emphasis on taking away all the easy throws. No bubbles, no slants, no vertical seam throws, no hitches to the slots, etc. You have to take the 1-on-1 match-ups OUTSIDE, and we have the sideline for help out there. And if you have good, long, physical press Corners out there...GOOD LUCK to the offense.

rip liz1.jpg

Advertisement
This has been my philosophy as a DC for many years. Heard Saban speak about it at a clinic a while back.

I always want to make the ball go outside. The easy throws are inside. The easy/downhill runs are inside. The further out you get from the ball, the lower the success rate.

My favorite coverage is a Cover-3 Match (invented by Belichick and Saban in the 90's) and we place an emphasis on taking away all the easy throws. No bubbles, no slants, no vertical seam throws, no hitches to the slots, etc. You have to take the 1-on-1 match-ups OUTSIDE, and we have the sideline for help out there. And if you have good, long, physical press Corners out there...GOOD LUCK to the offense.

View attachment 129918
Pattern matching is the single reason why the Patriots secondary is among the best in the league and they had the best Pass D last season. They perfected it.

Its a pain in the *** to coach tho. Takes constant communication on the field. Patriots tried to install it in 2017 and the first four weeks were brutal in terms of pass defense.

Don't like him...LBers have little too no Gap integrity...and STILL..are horrid in Pass Coverage...CBs playing like Garbage...
I couldn't agree more. The dude is straight garbage as a DC. His schemes make little sense to me. Why would he keep blitzing his LBs if the blitzes are not getting home but are leaving a huge void in the middle of the field? Add to that, our front 4 was getting mad pressure on their own. Why not just pressure with the front 4 and keep your LBs and Striker in coverage? Occasionally we can bring an unexpected blitz while changing up our coverage looks. Also no bump and run or press from the CBs. He has his CBs sag and play cushion while he simultaneously blitzes his LBs thus leaving a massive hole in the middle of the D. I could complete passes with a void that big. Diaz is going to have to take over and he will if he values his job. Bottom line is that this team will never reach its potential with this clown running the defense. Diaz is going to have to cut him loose after the season.

Advertisement
I dont get us blitzing like crazy in pass situations. You dont blitz a lot if you can get pressure with your front four. UAB blitzed a lot in pure pass downs against us and King got easy first downs because there was no contain or spy.

Just send four, **** it. Front four should be good enough. Especially against teams that rely on short and quick passes.

I couldn't agree more. The dude is straight garbage as a DC. His schemes make little sense to me. Why would he keep blitzing his LBs if the blitzes are not getting home but are leaving a huge void in the middle of the field? Add to that, our front 4 was getting mad pressure on their own. Why not just pressure with the front 4 and keep your LBs and Striker in coverage? Occasionally we can bring an unexpected blitz while changing up our coverage looks. Also no bump and run or press from the CBs. He has his CBs sag and play cushion while he simultaneously blitzes his LBs thus leaving a massive hole in the middle of the D. I could complete passes with a void that big. Diaz is going to have to take over and he will if he values his job. Bottom line is that this team will never reach its potential with this clown running the defense. Diaz is going to have to cut him loose after the season.
Too much recognizable Blitzing....We need to (and have forever) disguise the Blitzes....more stunts as well...I cannot understand our Defensive schemes as a whole, since forever...There's moments that make me pleased...but then there's moments (alot more frequent) that make me want to throw up...

View attachment 129918

Haha **** yeah appreciate you posting especially as a DC! I can dig any schematic conversations they are fun to be in.

100% agree with you about forcing those throws outside. Even if it’s outside to the flat. How many times do we see QBs make those throws to RBs and WRs and the corners in college football jump the routes for a pick 6.

And yessir sideline is your friend. If you gotta make a QB throw the back shoulder every pass to beat you along the sideline I’ll take it.

WR might step out of bounds. Throw could be in the air to long and you can make a play. Throw could be overthrown out of bounds for the incompletion. So many things happening in that scenario I’ll live with that!

Ive always loved what Belichick and Saban have done in the secondary.

Another is Pat Narduzzi what he did at MSU and Pitt once he got his own recruiting classes is wild.

Cincinnati secondary the last 2-3 years has been nothing short of amazing as well.

I respect the guys that find ways to scheme up defenses that really make passing difficult.

Miami has the horses on the DL that this secondary should be eating in coverage. All the pressure we generated Thursday night yet they throwing 65%......like come on man that should have been closer to 43%-50% if we can adjust some basic coverage stuff.

Advertisement
Too much recognizable Blitzing....We need to (and have forever) disguise the Blitzes....more stunts as well...I cannot understand our Defensive schemes as a whole, since forever...There's moments that make me pleased...but then there's moments (alot more frequent) that make me want to throw up...

I agree with the recognizable or blitzes from 10-15 yards from the line of scrimmage.....it’s something I really dislike.

Sometimes it’s okay to not run those delayed Blitzes (if you are gonna blitz) and just line up and send your 5 or 6.

Guarantee that dude isn’t getting that ball out that fast or he’s hurrying the throw.

Whats up y’all. Reviewing the Defense on a play by play basis today.

I’d appreciate if y’all followed along and let me know your thoughts.

Images included for certain plays.

Q1: 15:00

Zach McCloud fooled on the play action. He’s angling towards the RB. The RT blocking Phillips is hiding the WR Mitchell on the reverse and Mccloud just didn’t see him.

If he was aware I’m confident this ball isn’t being completed.

View attachment 129863

Q1: 14:35

Look at the size of that hole. Phillips has contain and drove his man 3 yards in the backfield.

Their OL is already at the LBs. You can tell this will be a big gain before the back reaches the LOS. Got bailed by the penalty.

View attachment 129864

Q1: 14:09

Zach Mccloud with the bad angle here on this screen pass. You see that RB coming out he needed to be a little wider. Even if he gets blocked by the two OL him being in the way slows the play down enough for help to arrive for a smaller gain.

Phillips was going for the sack. I would have liked to see him chill and maybe drop back to pick that or stay with the RB when he recognized screen.

Especially when you see Jon Ford already about to pickup the sack.

View attachment 129865

McCloud sucks that is all. He should retire from football. I know he's trying but he is already graduated. He should pursue a career in something less mentally taxing.

How good would this defence be if Shannon was running it?

Feels like we've got the horses, especially on the Dline, to just play something more sound and simple.

This defence just seems to gamble all the time - I get that the whole point of it is to be disruptive, but unless you're way ahead of the curve (Diaz was more than Baker is), it leaves you looking foolish.

McCloud needs to grad transfer for sure. On third down a few times there was one backer and it was brooks. A telling thing to see. It’s crazy how carter and McCloud our two captains had not so good games
Because they aren't good, both have graduated and it is time to move on.

Advertisement
Back