Miami-UAB Play by Play defense

motorcitycane

Senior
Whats up y’all. Reviewing the Defense on a play by play basis today.

I’d appreciate if y’all followed along and let me know your thoughts.

Images included for certain plays.

Q1: 15:00

Zach McCloud fooled on the play action. He’s angling towards the RB. The RT blocking Phillips is hiding the WR Mitchell on the reverse and Mccloud just didn’t see him.

If he was aware I’m confident this ball isn’t being completed.

IMG_6570.jpeg

Q1: 14:35

Look at the size of that hole. Phillips has contain and drove his man 3 yards in the backfield.

Their OL is already at the LBs. You can tell this will be a big gain before the back reaches the LOS. Got bailed by the penalty.

IMG_6571.png

Q1: 14:09

Zach Mccloud with the bad angle here on this screen pass. You see that RB coming out he needed to be a little wider. Even if he gets blocked by the two OL him being in the way slows the play down enough for help to arrive for a smaller gain.

Phillips was going for the sack. I would have liked to see him chill and maybe drop back to pick that or stay with the RB when he recognized screen.

Especially when you see Jon Ford already about to pickup the sack.

IMG_6572.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
Q1: 13:34 I hate this. Miami not lined up after the two TE/HB went in motion. Count the players on the UAB strong side. Then count Miami’s. This play went for little to no gain ONLY due to the effort of Roche blowing his man up and keeping contain. He won’t get credit for this stop. But this was all due to Roche leaving nowhere for that RB to bounce outside too.

Only won this rep due to having better athletes.

Q1:12:54
This Play looks doomed from the snap. Look at the cushion they get from this pick/rub. UAB QB has two wide open options. Just pick one and he did.....first down.

Q1: 12:01 Miller blew his man up and was in the backfield. He should’ve had the TFL but his presence disrupted the play and allowed his help to get there. Great team defense.

Q1: 11:35 they tried the reverse screen and Miami just had too much pressure. I didn’t like all the space they gave the motion WR. But incompletion!

Q1: 11:26

Amari Carter read your keys. These guys aren’t in pass protection. Lineman down blocking and pulling. You see Phillips and Frierson have contain on that side. You should see those lineman’s feet and make a beeline to meet the RB in the hole. Seems like we react more than dictate on defense.

Look at the hole the RB has!

Carter should have already been in that hole. Then the RB will try to bounce out and get tackled for a loss by Phillips or GIL.

IMG_6576.png

Q1:6:51

Look at the hole the RB has. Mccloud needs to angle outside with the pulling lineman and force him back inside for little to no gain. Instead it’s a 5 yard run. This all Mccloud.

IMG_6578.png

Last edited:
Q1: 6:22

This play was doomed from pre snap alignment. They already had us out flanked and they ran that way for a big gain.

IMG_6579.png

IMG_6580.png

Q1: 5:35 Nasty Nesty just blows this run completely up.

Q1: 4:45 Gilbert read that perfectly just needs to wrap up.

Q1: 4:15 I way to get off the fields great open field tackle from Hall. Punt time!

Q1 3:24

Look at DJ Ivey in run support. Kept contain. Just needs to make that tackle BEHIND THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE. But its a 1 yard gain on the play so not mad at how we played that.

IMG_6581.png

Q1: 2:44 Play the football Ivey. You and the WR are making contact. Your so close. Just get a hand in there......instead TD UAB.

IMG_6582.png

Q1: 1:04 nobody paid attention to the RB leaking into the flat. Gurvan stepped up to make a great open field tackle or the UAB RB is still running.

Q1: 0:26

Give Phillips and Nesta major props for the stop right here. Good hustle from Phillips. But Nesta allowed the play to be slowed down.

End of Q1

Last edited:
Advertisement
Our best personnel grouping is when Brooks, Steed are at LB & Smith at Striker.

On the backend it needs to be Hall, Bolden, Blades & Couch, **** I'd even throw Marcus Clarke out there & see what he's got, but Ivey needs to take a permanent seat on the bench or move to Striker behind Gil & Keontra.

The best DL grouping is Phillips, Jade, JHH & Roche, Ford is also really good on run downs too.

Q2 15:00
McCloud Actually read this perfectly with the RB running into the flat. He’s just not fast enough there. But still managed to be within 2 yards of the RB when he caught it. He does need to make the tackle on contact.

E8BD31A5-876D-44C7-AFC9-44B641B95FB0.jpeg

Q2: 13:23 Man Ivey better be glad the QB didn’t have more touch or that was going for 6. He got beat bad. Crazy part is there were a lot of open WR here. UAB QB just wanted the deep shot. I also felt this blitz was poorly designed.

Q2: 13:18
Man I hate how wide open these slants are. It’s only this open because Jennings got lost on the play. Watch him here he does nothing in the zone. If he just sits tight into his zone Johnston has to rethink the throw because it could get picked.

3E312FBF-6195-4DCE-B087-4B034C4B57D6.jpeg

Q2: 12:35
Blades got beat bad on the slant but recovered to make a play on the ball. That’s great! I want to see more hands on the football!

Q2: 10:04 Nasty Nesta is having himself a ball game. With the TFL.

Q2: 9:04 I’d like to see Blades make a play on that sideline ball for an INT. It was a catch instead. A tough catch.

Q2: 08:30 The Roche sack was nice! All the pressure in general left nowhere for them to go.

Q2: 05:28 The DL beat everybody. And Jennings gets the easy read and TFL.

Q2: 04:48 Quincy Roche Absolutely abused the LT and was one step from his second sack. Great catch from the UAB WR against Ivey and a great throw from UAB QB.

Q2: 04:22 Man you really gotta love Roche and Nesta limiting this game. Roche is abusing his man. There’s no answers from UAB for this guy.

Q2: 03:45 Nesta with immense pressure. Almost had him a sack but forced the QB to throw it away. 3rd down.

Q2: 03:38 Great Play by Al Blades turning his head around. Would have loved the INT there but I’ll take the deflection and forcing the punt!

Q2: 2:15 Phillips Pressure and deflection of the ball into the air.

Q2 2:09 Jon Ford the Run stuffer baby.

Q2: 1:25 Give Gil credit beating his man and getting a TFL.

Quick Thoughts after two Quarters.

the DL absolutely controlled this game. These guys are feasting. I don’t know why so many were down.....go back and watch this game again dawg!

Our best personnel grouping is when Brooks, Steed are at LB & Smith at Striker.

On the backend it needs to be Hall, Bolden, Blades & Couch, **** I'd even throw Marcus Clarke out there & see what he's got, but Ivey needs to take a permanent seat on the bench or move to Striker behind Gil & Keontra.

The best DL grouping is Phillips, Jade, JHH & Roche, Ford is also really good on run downs too.
Liberty what are your thoughts on how steed played? Loved seeing that kid get run

Q3:
10:14
Got Roche covering The RB in the flat. I think he did well enough. The RB just has a little more speed. I personally don’t like seeing our DEs doing that but whatever.

9:47
I have so many issues with our pre-snap alignments for years. So much of what we do when we get gashed is due to alignment. Seems to me that’s not the most difficult thing in the world to do. Mccloud if he’s just two steps to his left in pre-snap alignment will actually beat the RB to the edge and get a TFL here.
D6E4189C-F53D-4EEC-856D-33F8BF91AF8F.jpeg

Q3: 9:12

We blitz and send 6. I don’t like this blitz because they rushers were coming from soooooooo far away.

Johnston has time and 3 open WRs to throw to. Just pick one. And he did.....first down. But bailed out by the flag.

428CE444-7190-4F6E-8619-C44EE0529C33.jpeg

8:46
You guys are going to be mad at Te’coury Couch for this. But this isn’t his fault. Couch is in man and shadowing Mitchell across the formation. They run a pick again. Same play they hit on earlier.

now look at the bottom picture where the UAB WR lays a clean block on couch while he’s still following Mitchell for the pick. This frees up Mitchell and he gets the big play for the first down.

Shoutout to Couch for the effort on staying with him and forcing the fumble.

It’s man coverage so it’s not like blades could have just picked up Mitchell at that stage.

8DC358B9-8817-44C3-A17A-60D4988B9A3F.jpeg

CBAFC8DD-4ACB-422D-BAFD-99954746CA3B.jpeg

8:26
DL didn’t get much pressure this time and they pick up 4.

7:16
Roche and Phillips literally meet at the QB with the pressure. He has to force the throw and Mccloud had the chance at the INT but deflected. Phillips, Roche, And Nesta ARE PROBLEMS.

7:10
Listen it’s 3rd and 15 so we are playing the pass. UAB decides to run. We only rush 3. I’m kinda mad at Gilbert here. He needs to react faster.

He’s in a unfair spot trying to keep contain and watch the cutback. (Which happens) someone else needed to be there near him. But they don’t get the first.....I’m not mad.

0C6777E2-11EE-4F23-B586-2344242A0425.jpeg

6:30

We have the offsides call against us giving them the 1st and goal.

6:24
I have a major issue with this touchdown. 1 offensive lineman. Blocked TWO Miami Hurricanes out of the picture. I also have a issue with the awareness off Jennings on the backside on this play.

Bolden blitzes and his angle is so wide. He blocks himself out the play
7DC150C8-4EDB-441A-B33C-02050177BFFA.jpeg

4:02
Amari Carter in coverage. It’s a first down. Can’t see much of what happened without the sky cam view.

3:42 Nesta in the backfield making plays again. Waynon Steed in there as well. You know....flying around.

3:12 Steed doing well In coverage. Incompletion due to DL pressure.

2:52 Miami DL pressure is getting there. Dude is just getting rid of the ball very quickly. Sam Brooks got a hand on it for the deflection.

Attachments

• EF260B30-9C98-4991-A102-884395514D9C.jpeg
    EF260B30-9C98-4991-A102-884395514D9C.jpeg
    992.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 81751798-445C-44C0-90D3-58F5A518894D.jpeg
    81751798-445C-44C0-90D3-58F5A518894D.jpeg
    594.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Advertisement
Liberty what are your thoughts on how steed played? Loved seeing that kid get run
Steed played well, he looked surprisingly quick & moved well considering all the knee injuries he's had in his career.

Him & Brooks have the best lateral movement & sideline to sideline speed at LB, they should be the starters IMO & Jennings should be brought in on sub packages for the run defense.

BJ does a good job diagnosing & finding the gap to get to the ball carrier when the play is still developing in the backfield but once the runner gets to the 2nd level he just doesn't have the foot speed to keep up in the open field.

I'm out on McCloud, I didn't think he'd be very good coming into this season & I thought he played pretty below average outside of his pass breakup play, he just can't change direction & to be as big as he is he gets engulfed by interior lineman in the hole too often & is a big slow lumbering backer covering the flats.

We need to go with Brooks, Steed, Jennings, Huff & TAC as the main LB's, McCloud needs to get the Patchan treatment & sit his *** down, experience be damned.

Steed played well, he looked surprisingly quick & moved well considering all the knee injuries he's had in his career.

Him & Brooks have the best lateral movement & sideline to sideline speed at LB, they should be the starters IMO & Jennings should be brought in on sub packages for the run defense.

BJ does a good job diagnosing & finding the gap to get to the ball carrier when the play is still developing in the backfield but once the runner gets to the 2nd level he just doesn't have the foot speed to keep up in the open field.

I'm out on McCloud, I didn't think he'd be very good coming into this season & I thought he played pretty below average outside of his pass breakup play, he just can't change direction & to be as big as he is he gets engulfed by interior lineman in the hole too often & is a big slow lumbering backer covering the flats.

We need to go with Brooks, Steed, Jennings, Huff & TAC as the main LB's, McCloud needs to get the Patchan treatment & sit his *** down, experience be damned.
McCloud needs to grad transfer for sure. On third down a few times there was one backer and it was brooks. A telling thing to see. It’s crazy how carter and McCloud our two captains had not so good games

We need to go with Brooks, Steed, Jennings, Huff & TAC as the main LB's, McCloud needs to get the Patchan treatment & sit his *** down, experience be damned
only one game, hopefully alot of season left ... but mccloud not the only one who needs to step up or see the pine ... dj ivey and jon ford are in the same boat ... **** or get off the pot

Advertisement
Q4
Best play Mccloud made all night. Forcing the RB out of bounds.

DL continued to eat.

Carter should have picked the ball of the throw to the TE.

Keontra Should have a pick.

they did what they were supposed to do.

That’s a solid enough LB corps. Let them gain experience. But honestly the DL controlled so much of this game we didn’t get to see many of the LBs flash. They dominated from start to finish

#22 flashed a little when he was in. I gotta see who that is.

Advertisement

Agree 100% on McCloud. Not as athletic as we all thought he might be as a recruit and just does not have those natural instincts that Steed, Brooks and even Jennings seem to have.

Advertisement
Back