Miami Talent after Recruiting and Portal

Advertisement
Don’t need to digest all the numerical nonsense. Suffice to say the roster has been upgraded & if games were won on paper we’d be pretty good. Let’s go!

Advertisement
Miami added 40 players from the portal and high school recruiting this offseason. We lost 38 players to NFL, graduation, and portal. That means almost half our roster is new (!)

Here's some numbers. Using 247 player rankings, the average ranking of our incoming players is 0.9. The average ranking of our outgoing players is 0.9.

So according to rankings and such things, Miami talent level shoud be about the same as last year. Mario did a good job replacing the talent we lost - we improved at some spots (QB) and got worse at others (DB) . According to the rankings, it's a wash.

Of course we all think and hope that we got better, regardless of what the numbers say. Just the QB addition alone should make a difference. But of course it all remains to be seen.

247 Player Rankings -

View attachment 290178

Here's our current roster by position group talent according to 247 ratings -

View attachment 290180
Is the ranking of our outgoing players including the re-rated composite score given to transfers? Some would go up versus their original number (Colbie Young). Others would have gone down.

IMO, these ratings don't accurately reflect production and experience. We are a step function better as a team.

Think about this, we're not relying on one freshman to start, and only have Patterson, Trader and perhaps Lofton and Pruitt on the two deep. At all other spots, including our #1 DL haul, we have a two deep that is at least good if not great.

My Position Grades:
QB: A+
OL: A+
RB: A
WR: A-
TE: A- (assumes Arroyo is what coaches/observers say he is)

DE: A
LB: A-
DT: B-
CB: B-
Nickel/S: B-

K: A+
P: B+
Return: B

Hard to compare to 2003/2004 because Berlin was so erratic. But best team since that time IMO.
What scale are u grading on? Acc? Or just Miami recently…or a national scale?

Mine aren't far from yours, maybe a little more mopey. Not as high on our DB room as you are, I think they're bottom half ACC and will lose us a game or two by themselves. Patterson is the only talent back there that is Miami quality and it's a tough position to come in as a freshman, but we'll see. If he starts and catches on quickly then I would reconsider.

OL: A-
WR: B+
TE: A-

DE: A+
LB: B
DT: B
CB: D
Nickel/S: D

K: B+
P: C
Not sure how you can give CB a D with Porter there lol.. He would be offered by nearly every power 4 school in the country right now along with Brown. On top of that we got a very good safety in Powell. The DB room may not be as deep as we all want but the first level starters are good so a D seems to be a bit pessimistic for both CB and S

Advertisement
Mine aren't far from yours, maybe a little more mopey. Not as high on our DB room as you are, I think they're bottom half ACC and will lose us a game or two by themselves. Patterson is the only talent back there that is Miami quality and it's a tough position to come in as a freshman, but we'll see. If he starts and catches on quickly then I would reconsider.

OL: A-
WR: B+
TE: A-

DE: A+
LB: B
DT: B
CB: D
Nickel/S: D

K: B+
P: C
Powell is going to be huge for us in the secondary this year. I think if we let him stick at Safety and can have Zay come along beside him, that Duo can be really good by mid year and can become a strength for us. Porter is going to take another step at CB IMO and if Damari can step up and build off of last year ( I think he was pretty good down the stretch) then I don't see our secondary being as bad as you project. Still not world beaters but I'd grade them as a C+, borderline B-. If our DL is what we expect them to be, that will be more than enough to be a VERY good defense.

Advertisement
If you just put Cam Ward on the 2023 team, we go 10-2

IMO, the only place we've downgraded is DB. I don't think anyone will argue that we've upgraded at QB, WR, TE (with Arroyo back), DE and LB. I also believe OL and DT are at worst a wash, with significant improvements in depth at both spots.

So yeah, this roster with last year's schedule should have produced 10+ wins.

But we all know that the transitive property in football doesn't work. Every one of the teams we face this year will have 30-40% of it's roster turned over. And I know this is going to be scandalous. But who's to say Ward is as good vs. A&M as TVD was? He fell apart after that game, but was money during that game.

Miami added 40 players from the portal and high school recruiting this offseason. We lost 38 players to NFL, graduation, and portal. That means almost half our roster is new (!)

Here's some numbers. Using 247 player rankings, the average ranking of our incoming players is 0.9. The average ranking of our outgoing players is 0.9.

So according to rankings and such things, Miami talent level shoud be about the same as last year. Mario did a good job replacing the talent we lost - we improved at some spots (QB) and got worse at others (DB) . According to the rankings, it's a wash.

Of course we all think and hope that we got better, regardless of what the numbers say. Just the QB addition alone should make a difference. But of course it all remains to be seen.

247 Player Rankings -

View attachment 290178

Here's our current roster by position group talent according to 247 ratings -

View attachment 290180
So we (half) gone but we (half) back

I don't see how 247 ratings can be used to compare like this. I get that the OP had to use something and high hat tip to OP for admitting as much further in the thread. I just feel like these sorts of comparisons are really only fair in hindsight, when you can compare real in-game stats between multiple players over multiple games. ie. How many sacks and pressures does this year's DL group generate vs what last year's did? We can't know that answer until December.

Here's another way of looking at it: Frank Ladson, LT and JW's bloated 5 star numbers. None of them had 5 star college careers. None. I'm not looking for a debate on that point, rather I'm using them as an example of players who underperformed, but the metric being used is 3-5 years old (high school ranking) and not necessarily a fair indicator of how good or bad the players really is currently.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back