Miami Talent after Recruiting and Portal

RightSaidFred

Be cool, don’t be culo
Miami added 40 players from the portal and high school recruiting this offseason. We lost 38 players to NFL, graduation, and portal. That means almost half our roster is new (!)

Here's some numbers. Using 247 player rankings, the average ranking of our incoming players is 0.9. The average ranking of our outgoing players is 0.9.

So according to rankings and such things, Miami talent level shoud be about the same as last year. Mario did a good job replacing the talent we lost - we improved at some spots (QB) and got worse at others (DB) . According to the rankings, it's a wash.

Of course we all think and hope that we got better, regardless of what the numbers say. Just the QB addition alone should make a difference. But of course it all remains to be seen.

247 Player Rankings -

1716395321672.png

Here's our current roster by position group talent according to 247 ratings -

1716396363054.png

Attachments

• 1716395119253.png
    1716395119253.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Advertisement
The first observation is to look at the positions at the tops of both lists. It appears, at least that way, that the team lost considerable DL depth no equally matched on the incoming side. But that is just going by ranks, which suggest Cam Ward is the second best QB added.

Advertisement
Miami added 40 players from the portal and high school recruiting this offseason. We lost 38 players to NFL, graduation, and portal. That means almost half our roster is new (!)

Here's some numbers. Using 247 player rankings, the average ranking of our incoming players is 0.9. The average ranking of our outgoing players is 0.9.

So according to rankings and such things, Miami talent level shoud be about the same as last year. Mario did a good job replacing the talent we lost - we improved at some spots (QB) and got worse at others (DB) . According to the rankings, it's a wash.

Of course we all think and hope that we got better, regardless of what the numbers say. Just the QB addition alone should make a difference. But of course it all remains to be seen.

247 Player Rankings -

View attachment 290178
As subsets:

What was in vs outs:

OL
LB
DT
DE
WR

Advertisement
So now....Miami "outs" were more unproven while the "ins" were more veteran players who have "proven performance" on the field?

Best I could give you is age... Fresh/Soph/Jr/Sr in and out. It would be cool to see difference by production and snaps but I don't have that data easily at hand.

I think we got better without question. But sometimes people forget about the kids that graduate or go NFL.... we did lose a lot of talent also. I mean just think about Safety. We lost multiple year starters with high accolades at both safety spots and didn't replace them with equal or better.

The other thing this doesn't account for is injuries. Mesidor, for example, counts in last year's numbers because he was on the roster, but being injured he couldn't affect the games. RB is another spot where this is an issue both years

Also I think it goes without saying but some of these 247 ratings are garbage. Like the guy said above, Ladson's rating is a joke but I didn't want to start messing with the ratings because I would be bias

Advertisement
IMO, these ratings don't accurately reflect production and experience. We are a step function better as a team.

Think about this, we're not relying on one freshman to start, and only have Patterson, Trader and perhaps Lofton and Pruitt on the two deep. At all other spots, including our #1 DL haul, we have a two deep that is at least good if not great.

My Position Grades:
QB: A+
OL: A+
RB: A
WR: A-
TE: A- (assumes Arroyo is what coaches/observers say he is)

DE: A
LB: A-
DT: B-
CB: B-
Nickel/S: B-

K: A+
P: B+
Return: B

Hard to compare to 2003/2004 because Berlin was so erratic. But best team since that time IMO.

Advertisement
Numbers just don't tell the whole story. How many of the 'outs' actually lived up to their rankings? How many of the 'outs' would you rather have than what Mario replaced them with? I'll give you DBs but any where else? Maybe OL?

IMO, these ratings don't accurately reflect production and experience. We are a step function better as a team.

Think about this, we're not relying on one freshman to start, and only have Patterson, Trader and perhaps Lofton and Pruitt on the two deep. At all other spots, including our #1 DL haul, we have a two deep that is at least good if not great.

My Position Grades:
OL: A+
WR: A-
TE: A- (assumes Arroyo is what coaches/observers say he is)

DE: A
LB: A-
DT: B-
CB: B-
Nickel/S: B-

K: A+
P: B+
Return: B

Hard to compare to 2003/2004 because Berlin was so erratic. But best team since that time IMO.

Mine aren't far from yours, maybe a little more mopey. Not as high on our DB room as you are, I think they're bottom half ACC and will lose us a game or two by themselves. Patterson is the only talent back there that is Miami quality and it's a tough position to come in as a freshman, but we'll see. If he starts and catches on quickly then I would reconsider.

OL: A-
WR: B+
TE: A-

DE: A+
LB: B
DT: B
CB: D
Nickel/S: D

K: B+
P: C