Miami Spring Practice visitors 4/11/17

Advertisement
Njoku iced out, his agent already cut a check lol, red faced Rolex with diamond bezel and two diamond tennis bracelets. Brevin sees that too. I saw Pinckney in the stands at the Heat game last night.

He's had all that since January. Check the other photo. Jewelers will give kids credit based on draft status.

Please tell me this is Rohan Marley posting...

Doubtful Rohan Marley would have a quote in his signature that he attributes to himself which was definitely Santana Moss that said it (after we beat FSU in 2000).

I could be reading your post wrong but Rohan Marley said that quote first in 1994 vs FSU. You can see him yelling it after the INT TD. That's where Moss got it from.

Last edited:
Advertisement
[TWEET]851836823223619585[/TWEET]

That's a very sacred number to have upon your chest.

Probably should be retired. He was legendary....of course, since the '80's, we've had quite a few whose numbers would be retirement-worthy.

We've retired very few numbers over the years. If we gave it to all those who deserved it, we'd lost about a third of our jersey numbers.

EDIT: We've retired only four numbers in the history of the program: Jim Dooley (42), George Mira (10), Ted Hendricks (89) and Vinny Testaverde (14). We haven't retired a number in over 30 years.

For the poster who said he was not a fan of retiring numbers, keep in mind we've done it very sparingly. Each one was significant for a reason. I was just a baby when Jim Dooley played, but I think he was our first nationally-recognized player, our first A-A, maybe. We were just emerging into national attention. We had that huge upset of Purdue during the 1951 season, I think. It was huge. One of the most significant wins, perhaps the first really significant win in the young history of the program. The streets were lined for blocks from the old airport with fans waiting to greet the team on its return. (All written up in Jim Martz' great books on UM football history).

George Mira was just an unbelievable player for us in the early '60's. UM football was so exciting when he was on the field. Coach Gustafson, who is in the College Football HOF as a coach, had a long illustrious career including the Army greats Doc Blanchard and Glenn Davis, Mr. Inside and Mr. Outside. Legendary players from the '40's. Gustafson put Mira in a class with his all-time greats as a player. If you knew how dominant Davis and Blanchard were, you'd understand the significance of Gustafson putting Mira in that category. He also put Mira at the same level (or higher) than his great QB at Army, Arnold Tucker, a Miami native. (who also played at UM besides Army!)

Ted Hendricks was just simply phenomenol as a defensive force for us in the late '60's. He would just dominate from the DE position. He totally changed the complexion of the offense the same way a dominant shot-blocking center used to be able to change a basketball offense. (That was before teams could pass it back out for a three point shot, which neutralized to some extent the inside game).

And Vinnie was our first Heisman. It was a no-brainer to retire his number.

We've had so many great players since then, many of whom might be worthy of having their numbers retired: Jerome Brown, Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, Dan Morgan, maybe Mike Irvin, Sean Taylor, and others, that you can't do it with 'em all. We retired numbers early when we didn't have so many great players and those selected were truly extraordinary in their eras, especially when the program was just starting to emerge on the national scene.

Maybe we should semi-retire numbers, hold #26 in abeyance for the last year of a particularly exceptional S who so stood above the competition and made such an impact that you rewarded him with his last year with the number before it goes back into retirement.

Last edited:

Doubtful Rohan Marley would have a quote in his signature that he attributes to himself which was definitely Santana Moss that said it (after we beat FSU in 2000).

I could be reading your post wrong but Rohan Marley said that quote first in 1994 vs FSU. You can see him yelling it after the INT TD. That's where Moss got it from.

[video=youtube_share;F6zw1BdzRs8]https://youtu.be/F6zw1BdzRs8[/video]
Quote is at 2:13:00
"Big time players make big time plays baby. Big time players make big time plays."

[video=youtube_share;JMpAsVsHDlg]https://youtu.be/JMpAsVsHDlg[/video]
"Big time players step up in big games. "

So I guess its a combination of both players quotes. to form "Big time players make Big time plays in big (time) games"

Advertisement
lol I think he makes a lot of people look little, he's a freak like allen bailey

And Evidence Njoku makes David look small.

I've never seen a picture of both of them together - do you have one? (David & Evidence together in one pic)
[TWEET]820818102137057280[/TWEET]

I think they're the same height.

That picture is misleading because David is not standing up straight and he seems to be leaning back against that glass barrier, and Evidence is closer to the camera.

My understanding is they're both about 6-4

lol. Evidence from his own mouth said he's 6'5 and a half. He is clearly taller than David.

As of March, Evidence is 6'5 1/2 and 213 pounds. He's gonna be a terror at TE in a couple years.

I hope that in addition to the Sean Taylor reference, Jobe wearing #26 symbolizes the fact that he will be playing safety for us if he stays committed. He's the best safety prospect in the class - his potential at CB is nowhere near as great.

[TWEET]851836823223619585[/TWEET]

That's a very sacred number to have upon your chest.

Probably should be retired. He was legendary....of course, since the '80's, we've had quite a few whose numbers would be retirement-worthy.

We've retired very few numbers over the years. If we gave it to all those who deserved it, we'd lost about a third of our jersey numbers.

EDIT: We've retired only four numbers in the history of the program: Jim Dooley (42), George Mira (10), Ted Hendricks (89) and Vinny Testaverde (14). We haven't retired a number in over 30 years.

For the poster who said he was not a fan of retiring numbers, keep in mind we've done it very sparingly. Each one was significant for a reason. I was just a baby when Jim Dooley played, but I think he was our first nationally-recognized player, our first A-A, maybe. We were just emerging into national attention. We had that huge upset of Purdue during the 1951 season, I think. It was huge. One of the most significant wins, perhaps the first really significant win in the young history of the program. The streets were lined for blocks from the old airport with fans waiting to greet the team on its return. (All written up in Jim Martz' great books on UM football history).

George Mira was just an unbelievable player for us in the early '60's. UM football was so exciting when he was on the field. Coach Gustafson, who is in the College Football HOF as a coach, had a long illustrious career including the Army greats Doc Blanchard and Glenn Davis, Mr. Inside and Mr. Outside. Legendary players from the '40's. Gustafson put Mira in a class with his all-time greats as a player. If you knew how dominant Davis and Blanchard were, you'd understand the significance of Gustafson putting Mira in that category. He also put Mira at the same level (or higher) than his great QB at Army, Arnold Tucker, a Miami native. (who also played at UM besides Army!)

Ted Hendricks was just simply phenomenol as a defensive force for us in the late '60's. He would just dominate from the DE position. He totally changed the complexion of the offense the same way a dominant shot-blocking center used to be able to change a basketball offense. (That was before teams could pass it back out for a three point shot, which neutralized to some extent the inside game).

We've had so many great players since then, many of whom might be worthy of having their numbers retired: Jerome Brown, Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, Dan Morgan, maybe Mike Irvin, Sean Taylor, and others, that you can't do it with 'em all. We retired numbers early when we didn't have so many great players and those selected were truly extraordinary in their eras, especially when the program was just starting to emerge on the national scene.

Maybe we should semi-retire numbers, hold #26 in abeyance for the last year of a particularly exceptional S who so stood above the competition and made such an impact that you rewarded him with his last year with the number before it goes back into retirement.

Man, I agree w everything u just said. I've said the same thing.

Advertisement
So, who questioned when he got his jewelry?? And how do U know who gave him the credit (parents, agent, jeweler, etc)? It was a joke, loosen up.

"Big time players make big time plays baby. Big time players make big time plays."

So I guess its a combination of both players quotes. to form "Big time players make Big time plays in big (time) games"

Thanks for ******** up my workday LOL. Now I'm going to try to watch this game without getting caught.

Thanks for ******** up my workday LOL. Now I'm going to try to watch this game without getting caught.

Dagger!

Advertisement

Agree with your post. I like the idea of semi-retiring numbers or holding them until someone worthy enough comes along to wear it. I know USC does it with #55 . They only give it to a linebacker who lives up to the standard of Junior Seau, Willie McGinest, etc. I know a wr there a couple seasons ago was stripped of #1 for not living up to Mike Williams (who was a stud while in college there).

It'd be awesome to have 26, 52, 47, and all the other great's numbers go to the best players at those position.

Agree with your post. I like the idea of semi-retiring numbers or holding them until someone worthy enough comes along to wear it. I know USC does it with #55 . They only give it to a linebacker who lives up to the standard of Junior Seau, Willie McGinest, etc. I know a wr there a couple seasons ago was stripped of #1 for not living up to Mike Williams (who was a stud while in college there).

It'd be awesome to have 26, 52, 47, and all the other great's numbers go to the best players at those position.

Mike Williams was such an amazing story for other reasons. I don't know if he got any serious offers from the big 3 in Florida. Then he becomes such a big story for Carroll/Chow. Amazing how USC cycled into greatness and then down again in the early 2000's. Came and went. Was it the probation?

That would be a great cross-country coast-to-coast rivalry, UM and USC. Very similar, urban private schools, but USC is much bigger with many more alumni.

Back in the late '80's Sam Jankovich had this idea that he could establish some kind or regular series or rivalries between Miami and northern teams, and Miami and west coast teams. We would have an impact the width and the breadth of the country. That's why he signed a 20 year series with San Diego State. Perhaps he thought they might become really a major team. I never hear about them anymore. An ideal rivalry would be USC but we would really hurt ourselves traveling across country too much. We've lost a good number of games to Pac-10 teams in the past couple of decades. Too many. And I always thought they were supposed to be kind of soft out there with just a lot of passing.

Mike Williams was such an amazing story for other reasons. I don't know if he got any serious offers from the big 3 in Florida. Then he becomes such a big story for Carroll/Chow. Amazing how USC cycled into greatness and then down again in the early 2000's. Came and went. Was it the probation?

That would be a great cross-country coast-to-coast rivalry, UM and USC. Very similar, urban private schools, but USC is much bigger with many more alumni.

Back in the late '80's Sam Jankovich had this idea that he could establish some kind or regular series or rivalries between Miami and northern teams, and Miami and west coast teams. We would have an impact the width and the breadth of the country. That's why he signed a 20 year series with San Diego State. Perhaps he thought they might become really a major team. I never hear about them anymore. An ideal rivalry would be USC but we would really hurt ourselves traveling across country too much. We've lost a good number of games to Pac-10 teams in the past couple of decades. Too many. And I always thought they were supposed to be kind of soft out there with just a lot of passing.

I think it was a combination of Carroll losing good, quality assistants to other programs, talented players not fully developing, and the probation.

I would love to see a series of UM vs USC. Both programs are back on the rise.

Advertisement
Back