Miami-Penn St 1991 ''the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill game''...

My seats were right there.
Freeze it at 30:19.
His left foot is on the goal line but the ball is in his right hand.
It was this close.....but the ball never crossed the goal line.

On another note, Sacca could have run for twenty yards on that play.

NJ, I recall reading a story on this game and Sacca basically admitted he was so tired and exhausted, that he was basically delirious at that point and just made the decision to chuck it deep.

Hey, that Orange Bowl in the mid-afternoon heat and humidity did that to visiting players LOL

Advertisement
I just skimmed the full game on YT. The offense and OL was brutal (except Searcy). Toretta completed a handful of deep TD passes and the long TD outlet pass to Patton, but Gino took a beating and was inaccurate a lot of the game. He wasn’t helped by a few drops too.

Not unlike much of the season. Struggled on offense at times, but would hit a handful of huge plays for TDs (like the PSU game, with 80-yard and 40+-yard TDs to Copeland and Thomas).

The defense was stellar, of course.

that was Erickson's offense in a nutshell after 1990, basically.

My seats were right there.
Freeze it at 30:19.
His left foot is on the goal line but the ball is in his right hand.
It was this close.....but the ball never crossed the goal line.

On another note, Sacca could have run for twenty yards on that play.
100%. I posted this earlier but deleted it. Thanks for posting! The ref made right call.

Also there's the bomb at the end of the first half to Chris T. Jones. A lot of fans including me thought he was in the end zone. He was called down at the one foot line. I've seen the replays and I'm not convinced he didn't get in.
There is an angle in a full YT replay of the game, from the endzone. Jones comes towards us, and you can see his rear hit the ground just inside the one. After which his upper body crosses the plane. So close!

1:39:40

Last edited:
Advertisement
Id argue that Sonny saved, or at least made the Colorado St program. Id argue, he wouldve been a better long term leader for the UM program than Erickson was

I definitely said that back in the 90s. At the same time, AT THAT TIME, our coaching brand was "win and then go to the NFL".

But I liked Sonny. I heard that there was some outreach to him after Erickson left, but I think it was a Don James/Mark Richt situation where the "I want to keep building my current program" outweighed the UM ties.

Watched this game and then the 1992 game, back to back. As a modern observer, the problem with the offense is the direct snap. Should have been a shotgun the whole time. Empty backfield and Gino wastes time dropping back.

Advertisement
Watched this game and then the 1992 game, back to back. As a modern observer, the problem with the offense is the direct snap. Should have been a shotgun the whole time. Empty backfield and Gino wastes time dropping back.

Later in that season, Erickson did start to employ a lot more early shotgun, with 4 wide. I think a lot of that was done out of necessity, with a poor Oline that couldn't run block all that well..

Back then you'd go to the game and if Notre Dame was also playing you'd get the score from the stadium announcer. I don't remember the 1991 West Virginia game but I know I was there. That's because the stadium announcer read the score of the ND game against Tennessee. He was funny. He goes something like "final score, Notre Dame 34.................Tennessee 35". The crowd went crazy.

About that SDSU game. At the end of the half the refs got booed off the field. EPIC.

It was Patton and another player, IIRC, Solomon Moore who got booted for the credit card fraud

I met Martin at the Arizona game that year at the team hotel, very nice guy. Was a really effective receiver out of the backfield
Are you sure it was Solomon Moore? I thought he quit football because of diabetes. His father started on SuperBowl Champ Dolphins.

EDIT: You’re right. Solomon Moore, after he left football.

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/12/18/...-patton-indicted-in-theft-of-credit-card.html

Advertisement
Are you sure it was Solomon Moore? I thought he quit football because of diabetes. His father started on SuperBowl Champ Dolphins.

I'll have to check on that, but there was another back-up OLineman that was involved in that mess.

Advertisement
Id argue that Sonny saved, or at least made the Colorado St program. Id argue, he wouldve been a better long term leader for the UM program than Erickson was
He's the best DC in UM History...His players loved him to no end....Without him, Erickson wouldn't have done **** at UM....

As best as I can remember neither Thomas nor Hill did much in that game.

Yet OP names game after them.

He's the best DC in UM History...His players loved him to no end....Without him, Erickson wouldn't have done **** at UM....
I liked Sonny a lot. So many were worried when JJ and staff left that we wouldn’t maintain our great tradition. We were great under Sonny. Sonny was an excellent coordinator.

Advertisement
Back