Miami-Penn St 1991 ''the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill game''...

k9cane

Senior
ok, so this YouTube channel ('SteelBuck 6') does a great job of cutting the fat out of old college football games and condensing them down to basically just the plays. Recently I found the 1991 Penn St game. Which outside of FSU was our toughest game that national title season

I've seen just about every play of UM football from the mid-80's on, not necessarily live, but in getting tapes, watching old games etc. But this game was kinda like the Zapruder films of Miami games because ABC not only delayed showing the beginning of this game, but other key parts as they kept going to ABC News reports of the Clarence Thomas trials on that Saturday. And basically if you weren't in the So Florida market, you missed Kevin Williams punt return and the Horace Copeland deep ball for a TD.

I remember having to find the national radio feed of those segments during that game in Los Angeles. LOL. For years, it was hard to find the complete copy of this game. Nowadays, situations like this are easily solved as they put it on ESPN streaming platforms or ESPN News. BAck then, you were SOL for the most part.

This was our version of 'the Heidi Game', anyways, enjoy

Advertisement
Advertisement
Should’ve been a safety at the end and Penn State would’ve gotten the ball back with about a minute 1:30 left down 26-22

That’s crazy!

ok, so this YouTube channel ('SteelBuck 6') does a great job of cutting the fat out of old college football games and condensing them down to basically just the plays. Recently I found the 1991 Penn St game. Which outside of FSU was our toughest game that national title season

I've seen just about every play of UM football from the mid-80's on, not necessarily live, but in getting tapes, watching old games etc. But this game was kinda like the Zapruder films of Miami games because ABC not only delayed showing the beginning of this game, but other key parts as they kept going to ABC News reports of the Clarence Thomas trials on that Saturday. And basically if you weren't in the So Florida market, you missed Kevin Williams punt return and the Horace Copeland deep ball for a TD.

I remember having to find the national radio feed of those segments during that game in Los Angeles. LOL. For years, it was hard to find the complete copy of this game. Nowadays, situations like this are easily solved as they put it on ESPN streaming platforms or ESPN News. BAck then, you were SOL for the most part.

Thanks for the memory.

Advertisement
I remember this game. They brought a helicopter for a halftime show. PSU people tied up Sebastian on the field and a helicopter shows up out of no where with random people sliding down cables to “save” him. Pretty crazy.

Fortunately, I was in the stadium, so I saw those plays. And I still don't know how to program a VCR, so I'm sure I never saw the TV broadcast.

Interesting on the Thomas-Hill hearings, I had no idea that Congress (laziest humans on the planet) even worked on Saturdays.

This was the semester I graduated UM undergrad, just before starting my MBA.

Advertisement
I do enjoy that channel I’ve rewatched a lot of those old games… speaking of which how the **** did we lose to those scrub thug huskers in 95? Thought for sure the game was over after we got the pick in the end zone after the botched punt, that D was nasty . The number of dropped passes and punts looked familiar though

My favorite defense of all times, they were relentless and ridiculously fast to the ball...

Advertisement
My favorite defense of all times, they were relentless and ridiculously fast to the ball...

Sonny Lubick was a great DC. That season they rarely had any coverage busts or breakdowns. I'd be surprised when teams strung together a few first downs on that unit

And they did it with a pair of 260 pound DTackes in Anthony Hamlet and Eric Miller

Great talent across the board on that unit, but also extremely well coached

Sonny Lubick was a great DC. That season they rarely had any coverage busts or breakdowns. I'd be surprised when teams strung together a few first downs on that unit

And they did it with a pair of 260 pound DTackes in Anthony Hamlet and Eric Miller

Great talent across the board on that unit, but also extremely well coached

I was always impressed with how Sonny turned Colorado State from a ****ehole into a decent (not great) program.

That LB group for the Canes -- wish we had anywhere near that quality today. RB Martin Patton from the Houston area. Promising UM career derailed by his behavioral troubles. Rusty Medeairis. What can you say!!

Advertisement
Back