Miami-Penn St 1991 ''the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill game''...

Advertisement
Credit card fraud, altercation with the po-po after a car accident. IIRC.
Dang. Thanks for the info. He looked real nice in some games in my rewatch of some 91 games. Wondered why I didn’t see him in subsequent years.

I only remember two things from this game....being ****ed off the game wasn't on and more importantly hearing something about pubes and a coke can

No lie, I was actually watching some of that hearing throughout the week. It was interesting-- but not nearly interesting to interupt any UM game, uh huh

But yeah, pubic hairs on a Coke can is great stuff!!

Advertisement
Love these classics, I remember this game well since Richie Anderson went to my high school in Maryland. On a side note, is it me or was Torretta one of the most over hyped QB's ever? Even as a kid, I always thought he got bailed out by chucking the ball deep and letting his wrs make the play. He had some horrible inaccuracies in this game. 30 years later and he still doesn't impress me

Advertisement
That was the quintessential punt return TD by Kevin Williams. If I recall, he made a cut and was gone. And this is just going off of 30 year old memory being at the game. I remember he guaranteed before the game he'd take one to the house. And I remember the Horace Copeland 80 yard bomb also. There were over 75,000 at the game. It was pretty loud. A long time ago I got a copy of this documentary about the '83-'92 teams and they show I think a clip of Copeland's TD at the very end of the TD.

Last edited:
That was the quintessential punt return TD by Kevin Williams. If I recall, he made a cut and was gone. And this is just going off of 30 year old memory being at the game. I remember he guaranteed before the game he'd take one to the house. And I remember the Horace Copeland 80 yard bomb also. There were over 75,000 at the game. It was pretty loud. A long time ago I got a copy of this documentary about the '83-'92 teams and they show I think a clip of Copeland's TD at the very end of the TD.

'Decade of Dominance'!! I have that on VHS, lol

You know what I've been watching, is the 1991 SDSU game. Near the end of the first quarter around the 35 minute mark, Kevin Williams fields a punt but muffs it. It bounced around both teams until Williams picked it up and went almost 90 yards to the SDSU 3 yard line. We fumbled the next play. But a few plays later Darryl Williams makes this incredible pick 6. It's the most athletic play I've ever seen anyone make.

Advertisement
What happened to Martin Patton (RB #32)?
Got in trouble. Stolen credit cards or something. Left program. Texas HS All Star game their senior year, first play of game was Jessie Armstead tackling Marty Patton. Martin had a rough childhood, I think. Raised by relatives or foster parents, I think.
Used to know. Should’ve asked me back then.

Got in trouble. Stolen credit cards or something. Left program. Texas HS All Star game their senior year, first play of game was Jessie Armstead tackling Marty Patton. Martin had a rough childhood, I think. Raised by relatives or foster parents, I think.
Used to know. Should’ve asked me back then.

It was Patton and another player, IIRC, Solomon Moore who got booted for the credit card fraud

I met Martin at the Arizona game that year at the team hotel, very nice guy. Was a really effective receiver out of the backfield

Advertisement
You know what I've been watching, is the 1991 SDSU game. Near the end of the first quarter around the 35 minute mark, Kevin Williams fields a punt but muffs it. It bounced around both teams until Williams picked it up and went almost 90 yards to the SDSU 3 yard line. We fumbled the next play. But a few plays later Darryl Williams makes this incredible pick 6. It's the most athletic play I've ever seen anyone make.
I just skimmed the full game on YT. The offense and OL was brutal (except Searcy). Toretta completed a handful of deep TD passes and the long TD outlet pass to Patton, but Gino took a beating and was inaccurate a lot of the game. He wasn’t helped by a few drops too.

Not unlike much of the season. Struggled on offense at times, but would hit a handful of huge plays for TDs (like the PSU game, with 80-yard and 40+-yard TDs to Copeland and Thomas).

The defense was stellar, of course.

Also there's the bomb at the end of the first half to Chris T. Jones. A lot of fans including me thought he was in the end zone. He was called down at the one foot line. I've seen the replays and I'm not convinced he didn't get in.

Should’ve been a safety at the end and Penn State would’ve gotten the ball back with about a minute 1:30 left down 26-22

That’s crazy!
My seats were right there.
Freeze it at 30:19.
His left foot is on the goal line but the ball is in his right hand.
It was this close.....but the ball never crossed the goal line.

On another note, Sacca could have run for twenty yards on that play.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back