Miami-Penn St 1991 ''the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill game''...

Advertisement
Wannstadt was a Good DC....But he wasn't Lubick...

I loved that Sonny used 'the 46/Bear defense' at times. Back then, with Miami's talent, and the way offensive football was being played, it was **** to deal with

Erickson in the early years actually had a pretty good staff. But as guys moved onto bigger and better things, well, things suffered...

I’ve been trying to catch a replay of Kevin Williams’ punt return in that game for years..
Same here.
The split screen played the Thomas/Hill audio, so I watched it on tv and listened to it on the radio. Radio announcer made a great call. And K.Williams had been threatening all year to break one, and finally did in the middle of a low scoring slogfest. One of my favorite Canes plays ever.

Advertisement
Not disagreeing. I don’t know who was better.
Lubick was a better DC....that's not taking anything away from Wannstadt...just how good Lubick's Def philosophy was....Wannstadt was certainly an upgrade from Olivadotti. Wannstadt ran JJs defense, a more upfield Attacking Defense...Olivadotti ran a 5-2 "Base" defense which was called Monster...and also mixed in some 3-4 as well.

Last edited:
Back then you'd go to the game and if Notre Dame was also playing you'd get the score from the stadium announcer. I don't remember the 1991 West Virginia game but I know I was there. That's because the stadium announcer read the score of the ND game against Tennessee. He was funny. He goes something like "final score, Notre Dame 34.................Tennessee 35". The crowd went crazy.

About that SDSU game. At the end of the half the refs got booed off the field. EPIC.

Jay Rokeach was great at building up the drama. I remember quite a few game scores that he announced in very dramatic fashion during the 80s and 90s, when we really needed/wanted another team to lose.

Ah, the pre-internet/pre-smartphone days...

At the 35 minute mark of the SDSU broadcast right before that epic return by Kevin Williams it shows his punt return average for the year. It was 16.3. That's outrageous. And at that point it was 3 td's and a long of 94. But I think it was supposed to be 91. I was trying to remember the 94 yard punt return of his that wasn't a TD, and it was against Long Beach State but was much shorter. Apparently he had already returned a punt for a TD that game and returned his next punt to the 1 yard line. I'm pretty sure I was there. Devin Hester had an average of 17 and change in 2004. But that 82 yard punt return by Williams against SDSU was changed to a fumble return.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back