JUCO 2024 Miami Offers 6'5 JUCO WR Leland Smith

I think in a normal year, I’d take him.

Potential and project-ability is certainly there, but he’s not the answer in 2024 to our WR question on the outside. Like Ward at QB, I personally thing we need more of a sure-fire thing along the outside and should focus on such, unless they can’t flip anyone and want to wait for the Spring edition of the portal to try their luck there.

This is not a normal year now, the expectations have merit and we should be doing everything in our power to secure a top tier target on the outside for our QB.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think in a normal year, I’d take him.

Potential and project-ability is certainly there, but he’s not the answer in 2024 to our WR question on the outside. Like Ward at QB, I personally thing we need more of a sure-fire thing along the outside and should focus on such, unless they can’t flip anyone and want to wait for the Spring edition of the portal to try their luck there.

This is not a normal year now, the expectations have merit and we should be doing everything in our power to secure a top tier target for our QB.
You absolutely take him. He's a top 5 JUCO WR in the country and we are devoid of big receivers. Still think we need a true WR1 but i'm not for turning away someone with his size and skillset.

Advertisement
Thought he got hurt in a non-contact drill.
It was actually in the 2014 Spring scrimmage.

From the article

"He tore a knee ligament in April, worked furiously to get ready for the season and pronounced himself ready to go in September — but the job was already filled by freshman Brad Kaaya..."​

Also, from the article

"And while Williams started rehabbing from surgery almost immediately and defied odds by getting back on the practice field during training camp, Golden said he simply fell too far behind in the race."​

Advertisement
It was actually in the 2014 Spring scrimmage.

From the article

"He tore a knee ligament in April, worked furiously to get ready for the season and pronounced himself ready to go in September — but the job was already filled by freshman Brad Kaaya..."​

Also, from the article

"And while Williams started rehabbing from surgery almost immediately and defied odds by getting back on the practice field during training camp, Golden said he simply fell too far behind in the race."​
Yeah, thanks. Unfortunate injury, but not sure how anyone can say Golden somehow screwed him.

This right here and I have other people telling me UGA had an explosive offense. What year? They’re balanced and have better talent. Yet they don’t look like anything like OSU did against them in the playoffs last year.
The outside WRs? Nah only Pickens and he was just a freak outside of him it was Ladd or Bowers. AD Mitchell had to leave to get more balls same for the girl puncher who left UGa for Bama. Colbie should’ve stayed now that we have ward

Advertisement
Lol if you think they paid him what he asked for smh.... Whatever, hey... They had a need and fulfilled it.
I don’t know what they paid him. But he was obviously criminally underused here. That probably was the main reason he left.

I don’t know what they paid him. But he was obviously criminally underused here. That probably was the main reason he left.
There's no "probably" in this situation. He left because he wanted more money and we didn't think he was worth what he was asking for. He had no choice but to enter the portal after that.

Advertisement
I keep seeing people say this, but I have yet to see anyone confirm what he is actually receiving from UGA. If he gave them the "Fresh off two ships" discount and we got the "Suck tax", it's apples to oranges.
ABSOLUTELY they paid him, No Doubt. He had other offers in the Portal, if you think he “settled on GA”.
He was probably on the juco transfer minimum here, wanted a contributing veteran raise and Mario sacrificed him without negotiating. Whatever he makes at GA is more than the JUCO transfer minimum. Anyone who thinks he makes less at Ga than he made here is a moron.

ABSOLUTELY they paid him, No Doubt. He had other offers in the Portal, if you think he “settled on GA”.
He was probably on the juco transfer minimum here, wanted a contributing veteran raise and Mario sacrificed him without negotiating. Whatever he makes at GA is more than the JUCO transfer minimum. Anyone who thinks he makes less at Ga than he made here is a moron.
I think one of the insiders here stated he was offered 375k but asked for 500k. I imagine that’s way more than JUCO transfer minimum.

Advertisement
Back