JUCO 2024 Miami Offers 6'5 JUCO WR Leland Smith

Or or or.... If he didn't ask for an absurd amount of money?
Wasn't absurd by any means. They just didn't want to pay it lol

I thought it was totally reasonable to ask for and was surprised they didn't make it work.

Apparently the staff thought he was lazy or didn't "love" football. Did his job and nothing more, nothing less.

Advertisement
If kids have a 4 year scholarship, you can’t just kick them off the team. You can encourage them to transfer for playing time, but if a player no longer cares about playing time because he shifted his priority and now he wants his degree, then you need to let him stay and get his degree.
The long and short is that it is not always a “choice” for the coaches.
Aren't scholarships renewed annually? I know it looks bad to just drop a kid's scholarship but those are the kids that are often asked to enter the portal. As far as I know, the school is under no obligation to honor four years of scholarship.

I thought it was totally reasonable to ask for and was surprised they didn't make it work.

Apparently the staff thought he was lazy or didn't "love" football. Did his job and nothing more, nothing less.
I can actually see that. Def felt he took plays off and wasn’t aggressive at times going for first downs

Advertisement

It's absurd if no one was offering him what he asked... Do we know if UGA met his asking price? Or did they just offer what we did?

Advertisement
This dude is an absolute freak of nature who’s measurables are off the charts. 6’5” 205 4.41 40 with…a 45 inch vertical. I heard someone say earlier that’s Michael Jordan level hops. Going to be some stiff competition but really hope we land this kid. We have more than enough slot-type guys…we need a big, physical specimen on the outside.

They gave him what he was asking for. Pretty much the going rate for a starting WR in a top 25 program.
$500K is going rate for a starting top 25 WR? Then what's the going rate for an actually Proven WR?
He was our 3rd best WR this yr. Paying him $1k/yard or $100k/TD?
Honestly may prefer to pay him and have had George leave given just how dumb dude is doing anything possible to get 15yard penalties...

Advertisement
If kids have a 4 year scholarship, you can’t just kick them off the team. You can encourage them to transfer for playing time, but if a player no longer cares about playing time because he shifted his priority and now he wants his degree, then you need to let him stay and get his degree.
The long and short is that it is not always a “choice” for the coaches.

Scholarships are year to year so yes you can kick kids off the team unless something has changed with that.

It’s always been year to year. Kids can’t just just say I’ll show up but I suck please keep me so I can get a degree. That’s not how it works. They will be asked to leave/scholarship not renewed

Advertisement
Leland is a classical name. Real throwback, old school.
Had an uncle named Leland. Every NYE he would walk out on his back porch and squeeze off a few rounds of buckshot into the sky. He lived in a suburb just outside of Columbus. The cops would always stop by and say Gotdamnit Leland, you know you can't be doin' this ****. He'd just laugh with his highball in his hand. Great memories. Take this kid on name alone.

Had an uncle named Leland. Every NYE he would walk out on his back porch and squeeze off a few rounds of buckshot into the sky. He lived in a suburb just outside of Columbus. The cops would always stop by and say Gotdamnit Leland, you know you can't be doin' this ****. He'd just laugh with his highball in his hand. Great memories. Take this kid on name alone.
Bring me the Lelands.

Advertisement
Back