Miami New Times: Why Everyone Hates Miami Hurricanes Fans

Because a lot of people only become college football fans when they go to college. A lot of people don't realize how much time and energy a fan has invested in his/her team before going to college. Look, my family was not nearly wealthy enough to afford UM's tuition. I still brought an antenna TV to UCF tailgate parties at the Citrus Bowl so I could watch UM football on game days. (I know, I just dated myself) I broke the TV when they lost to Washington in 2000.

With that said, Miami fans in general (not just UM) are among the most ignorant in America. They jump on and off bandwagons with no regard and will talk trash to anyone who doesn't agree with them. Even if the other party is making a valid point.

Here's my personal perspective. I will talk some light trash against rivals when UM wins. I have no reason to give random,over matched teams' fans a hard time unless they ask for it. I will NEVER get into a fight over a sports game (unless it's straight self-defense). Not a single dude on that field or member of that coaching staff is going to get into a fight over me, so I'm sure as **** not going to risk jail or injury over them.

We are not ignorant fans. It is not us that stupidly supports losers for decades because there is nothing else in our lives. You win, and we are the best fans anywhere and act as massive multiplier to the team. Lose and we go have fun and wait for you to get your crap together. It is fine for fans to be dedicated, but that does not mean they are smart.

Advertisement
Never understood the "did you go to school there?" argument because rooting interests are largely regional.

If your from South Florida, why the **** wouldn't you root for Miami in all sports?

It's even funnier coming from schools like FSU. As if it's some type of accomplishment to get into FSU.

Plus, with the exception of USC or UCLA, who we basically never play, their schools are in cowpie towns the world doesn't give a **** about.

Was coming to say this. Go on just about any public college football message board and it runs much deeper than simply hate for the Canes. These hillbillies hate the city/culture of Miami. They view it the same way they view NY/LA; "bastions of liberalism overrun with immigrants" (actual statement made by a poster on a rivals message board years ago).

giphy.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back