Miami needs to reverse this stat

Advertisement

Ford and Miller? Ok let's see

Thank u! I’m like wtf?? Our problem, as I’ve yelled at the top of lungs, have been the trenches. Guys like Ford, Miller, and Nesta have been GTAA for a min, but when the game starts, they’ve all been decent, at best. Our OL has been filled w/ a whole lotta potential, but we haven’t had true NFL calibers guys, COLLECTIVELY, since 2015, ironically.

I would assume both our passing & rushing stats would be even worst if not for King. One of our biggest gainers was that fake QB sneak, where the safeties cheated up anticipating King’s legs, and we had our TEs or RBs run right up the seam, wide open. We gotta get better in the trenches man.

When you look at last year's final rankings and this year's preseason rankings, there are nine programs that stand above the pack. All of them have something in common: they ran the ball more efficiently than their opponents. Below is the difference between Yards Per Rush and Yards Per Rush Allowed for the top teams:

Alabama: +1.7
Ohio State: +2.6
Clemson +1.3
Texas A&M: +2.2
Notre Dame: +1.1
Oklahoma: +1.2
Georgia: +2.2
Cincinnati: +2.2
Iowa State: +1.8

Miami was a -.3

By comparison, Miami is +1.2 in Yards Per Pass versus Yards Per Pass Allowed. That is better than Clemson, Texas A&M, Notre Dame and Iowa State and on par with Georgia.

Manny knows that the top priority for this offseason is getting more physical on both ends. Navaughn Donaldson (6'6, 350) and Jalen Rivers (6'5, 325) have been getting the majority of the starting reps at guard. Jon Ford (6'5, 318) and Jordan Miller (6'4, 320) have been the starting DTs. If we see significant improvement in this stat, we will be a much better team.
this all comes down to one thing: offensive line. there could be more creativity in lashlee's run game but if you have maulers on the OL it doesn't matter. look at this list: bama, ohio state, clemson, georgia are the best recruiting teams in america. notre dame is a factory of first round OL, texas a&m had the best OL in the country last year, and oklahoma routinely produces NFL OL including creed humphery who is the no 1. center in the draft.

aside from the 2017 season when we ran all over ND and actually were able to run on wisconsin in the orange bowl, it's been a long time -- like, a really long time -- since we have gone up against a top opponent and been able to impose our will in the run game. even going back to when we had duke johnson, we were competitive vs jimbo's FSU teams but could never actually get duke loose in the run game. we couldn't run on LSU in dallas. when we play bama this year, they will beat us primarily bcuz they will be able to line up and run on us and we won't be able to line up and run on them.

exactly, if we are following the previous logic we should remove our best rushing performance as well.
Most of the time when discussing sports averages, you will use what's called a truncated mean. That's when you remove the highest and lowest number to try to eliminate outliers. Often times one really great game or one really terrible game can skew an entire season's statistics. Miami's rush defense was still rather mediocre even if you eliminate the outliers but you see what I mean.

Lashlee and Justice are making a concerned effort to be a more consistent running team this year and I expect them to lean heavily on a more productive running game. Just having bigger and stronger interior linemen should help get more of a push. There shouldn't be as many negative/no gain plays this year as last year.

Defensively, I think this is where you will see the difference in a Jess Simpson coached line. More discipline up front. Defensive tackles who aren't just pass rushing every play. There's more to playing tackle than just shooting gaps and trying to get into the backfield as fast a possible. It's why the Nesta/Hunte combo was a terrible idea. Either move Nesta to the one technique spot and let him use his physical strength to control linemen or put someone there who will. I don't care if it's Ford or Miller or anyone else. Chasing splash plays resulted in our defense getting gashed a lot last year. You can be aggressive without completely losing gap integrity.

Last edited:
Advertisement
this all comes down to one thing: offensive line. there could be more creativity in lashlee's run game but if you have maulers on the OL it doesn't matter. look at this list: bama, ohio state, clemson, georgia are the best recruiting teams in america. notre dame is a factory of first round OL, texas a&m had the best OL in the country last year, and oklahoma routinely produces NFL OL including creed humphery who is the no 1. center in the draft.

aside from the 2017 season when we ran all over ND and actually were able to run on wisconsin in the orange bowl, it's been a long time -- like, a really long time -- since we have gone up against a top opponent and been able to impose our will in the run game. even going back to when we had duke johnson, we were competitive vs jimbo's FSU teams but could never actually get duke loose in the run game. we couldn't run on LSU in dallas. when we play bama this year, they will beat us primarily bcuz they will be able to line up and run on us and we won't be able to line up and run on them.
i said this a few months ago. if the super bowl reminded us of anything, is that, regardless (disirregardlessly in miami) of the skill positions, football games are generally still won at the line of scrimmage.

Thank u! I’m like wtf?? Our problem, as I’ve yelled at the top of lungs, have been the trenches. Guys like Ford, Miller, and Nesta have been GTAA for a min, but when the game starts, they’ve all been decent, at best. Our OL has been filled w/ a whole lotta potential, but we haven’t had true NFL calibers guys, COLLECTIVELY, since 2015, ironically.

I would assume both our passing & rushing stats would be even worst if not for King. One of our biggest gainers was that fake QB sneak, where the safeties cheated up anticipating King’s legs, and we had our TEs or RBs run right up the seam, wide open. We gotta get better in the trenches man.
I don't get how D who knows more then my *** think these guys are going to turn to day one picks. I know he didn't say that but by reading it would think those guys are good and they aren't. They get blown up constantly and if that happens the whole D suffers. Since Diaz been here he hasn't evaluated that position it's been evaluated as bad as linebackers. In my opinion that is before I butt hurt people I apologize in advance........I know the nazianes fan will try and Destroy me so I apologize ahead of time ......go ahead feel free to destroy me.

EDIT
They have evaluated alot of bad ayers in numerous positions when u think of it. @Ethnicsands this is his area I agree with

Advertisement
I don't get how D who knows more then my *** think these guys are going to turn to day one picks. I know he didn't say that but by reading it would think those guys are good and they aren't.
Never suggested Ford or Miller would be Day 3 picks, much less Day 1 picks.

I mentioned them because they've been starting all camp, look improved and TRob specifically mentioned them on Hurricane Hotline yesterday. His comment was interesting because he's coming from the SEC and said they "are guys who can hold up against SEC competition."

They have experience and some physical tools, including size, but it's now or never for them.

I mentioned them because they've been starting all camp, look improved and TRob specifically mentioned them on Hurricane Hotline yesterday. His comment was interesting because he's coming from the SEC and said they "are guys who can hold up against SEC competition."

They have experience and some physical tools, including size, but it's now or never for them.
I haven't heard Miller mentioned this spring, but I am glad you have. I look forward to him wrecking stuff this fall.

Keep reading great things about Jon Ford this spring. Let's hope it's not all Greentree AA type hype.

Advertisement
Keep reading great things about Jon Ford this spring. Let's hope it's not all Greentree AA type hype.
I was thinking about Ford recently since he's gotten a few mentions. I recall Simpson really working with him when he was the DL coach here with Richt. Maybe Ford just "gets it" better the way Simpson teaches. Looking forward to seeing how he plays

Coach Kul thought Ford was all world so we'll see. He is not an all-world player like that signing day hype Kul gave, but maybe some os his latent potential shines in year number 5. Manny emphasized the defense's improvement in stopping the run at his presser.

Last edited:
Ford and Miller are interesting next to each other

Def two SEC type big body guys that give us the best chance at stopping the run against Bama

Nesta & JHH are more havoc causing types that rotate on passing/3rd down

Advertisement

I been hearing this about Ford for 3 years, all he is is a 300 pound parking meter, invisible in most games

Advertisement
Back