Miami needs to learn from USC

I am saying that at least under Shalala the degree was more valuable, but Frenk at least shows a willingness to invest in athletics. He just has no idea how to go about doing so or evaluate the person in charge of that department. However, I don't think academics and athletics are mutually exclusive and I think it is naive and shortsighted to not view investing in athletics as a way to boost academics and get free advertising. After all, the school's main identifying trademark and catch phrase came out of its football alums continuing to show up on Sunday highlights.

Of course, Shalala also invested in one of the most asinine, illogical purchases this school has ever made with the UHealth hospital purchase.

The short answer is as school presidents, they are on par with Blake James and Sean Eichorst as ADs and Al Golden and Randy Shannon as football coaches.

Presidents, CEO's and Dictators ALL follow the money........They ALL know which side their bread is buttered on...They are ALL judged by the $$$ they bring in

The money from contributions, research and development,and other academic activities FAR overshadows any earnings from football & other sports..... and are NOT dependent on how well the football program does.

I do agree that they do NOT have to be mutually exclusive.

But in regards to the University's mission only ONE has to be followed ....and only one shows up on the report card on how a University President is judged by the BOT's and has future opportunities.

Advertisement
Miami and Southern Cal are both private schools in warm-weather climates, who in the past tried to mirror each other's successful runs.

That's about where the comparisons end.

Southern Cal has a much stronger, vocal, money-driven alumni base, influential alumni that will open their wallets and use their influence to get their football program where they need it to be.

Miami has fans still wearing old Nike gear to games and setting up GoFundMe pages for a $495 banner to yell at the athletic director.

Don't even attempt to compare these two programs. Money talks, bullsh1t walks. Until Miami fans / alum are willing to open their wallet to support UM at a higher level, the university is more than fine with adidas and ACC money.

FACTS

UM endowment $1+ billion and 17K students
USC endowment $5+ billion and 45K students

USC just hired their own donna shalala to run their university.

We'll see how it plays out.

Here's the bottom line below:

In today's world-- you win big in CFB only if your spend the money and see it as a profit making enterprise.

I'm not sure UM the university cares to make much money from Football....

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 12.10.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 12.13.03 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 12.08.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 12.08.05 PM.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Presidents, CEO's and Dictators ALL follow the money........They ALL know which side their bread is buttered on...They are ALL judged by the $$$ they bring in

The money from contributions, research and development,and other academic activities FAR overshadows any earnings from football & other sports..... and are NOT dependent on how well the football program does.

I do agree that they do NOT have to be mutually exclusive.

But in regards to the University's mission only ONE has to be followed ....and only one shows up on the report card on how a University President is judged by the BOT's and has future opportunities.
I honestly have no idea what point you are trying to make. Yes, a big emphasis of school presidents is fundraising, a substantial portion of which comes from private donations and research grants, and their stewardship of funds. Another is the academic profile of the school.

Advertisement

Miami and USC. Two private schools on very different paths right now (both athletically and academically). It all starts with a credible AD.

"The hiring of Foley would be a glaring sign that USC’s athletic department is breaking away from the self-sabotaging pattern of hiring unqualified former players."

USC is going to hit a homerun with their new AD, who is going to hire Meyer and USC will be in the playoffs in 2 years. Meanwhile, Blake James will throw a ticket tape parade (and have a contract extension ready) for Diaz if he manages to wins the ACC coastal in year 3.
Cool?!?! Go root for them then.

The author of the article is wrong. Foley did not find Meyer. It was the school president that suggested Urban be hired. Foley was fired for-incompetence.

I honestly have no idea what point you are trying to make. Yes, a big emphasis of school presidents is fundraising, a substantial portion of which comes from private donations and research grants, and their stewardship of funds. Another is the academic profile of the school.

Then we have NO need to further discuss. Especially when you later agree with the point I'm making

BYE

Have a good one

Advertisement
Shalala also invested in one of the most asinine, illogical purchases this school has ever made with the UHealth hospital purchase.

Why was this an illogical purchase? Miami's school of medicine well renowned. Also, I thought fans of football would be elated that Shalala tied the medical program to the athletic logo. The school and athletic dept had separate logos before then.

The 1st step to is fire Flake James and then get an AD in here committed to winning championships. The admin is so dumb that even if James is fired, they would probably get some other loser for AD to run the show. After the last 15 years, nothing would surprise me. Until the people in charge decide to get serious about football, the crap show will continue. Hope I’m wrong. It hate seeing the Canes lose!
That’s why James and Strawleys names are on the banner to make sure both are gone because knowing UM they’ll fire james and then have a national AD search that lasts an hour and Strawley will be promoted into the spot! Smh 🤢🤮

Why was this an illogical purchase? Miami's school of medicine well renowned. Also, I thought fans of football would be elated that Shalala tied the medical program to the athletic logo. The school and athletic dept had separate logos before then.
The purchase of the hospital from HCA. She overpaid by about 50% (or roughly $100-130M), that purchase put us in competition with Jackson, we then proceeded to siphon the "desirable" patients away from Jackson to UHealth although we were still affiliated with Jackson, we thus nearly sent Jackson (a critical health/trauma resource and one of the largest employers in the county) into bankruptcy, followed that up with $100M in annual losses at that facility as of FY2017 (the purchase was 10 years prior to that), she hired a dean who was so inept that the entire medical school faculty staged a walkout during his state of the school address and demanded his resignation... other than that it was a resounding success.

Advertisement
The purchase of the hospital from HCA. She overpaid by about 50% (or roughly $100-130M), that purchase put us in competition with Jackson, we then proceeded to siphon the "desirable" patients away from Jackson to UHealth although we were still affiliated with Jackson, we thus nearly sent Jackson (a critical health/trauma resource and one of the largest employers in the county) into bankruptcy, followed that up with $100M in annual losses at that facility as of FY2017 (the purchase was 10 years prior to that), she hired a dean who was so inept that the entire medical school faculty staged a walkout during his state of the school address and demanded his resignation... other than that it was a resounding success.

Well ****. That sucks. I did not know that.

Has anyone considered the possibility that James and the administration are actually committed to winning, they just suck at it? I'm just saying, nobody wants to suck. It's just that some people don't know how to stop.

Advertisement
could not agree with your assement more, winning starts at top..... Miami President takes a hands off approach
and we have 2 people who are basically clueless when it come to providing dynamic leadership James/Frawely

I'm calling bull**** on this and every other post on this site that tries to pin our woes on an administration that "doesn't care".

During the greatest run in UM Football history, and arguably one of the greatest runs of any program in CFB history, the president of UM was Tad Foote - a guy who not only didn't give a **** about football but was openly hostile towards the program and it's coaches.

During this phenomenal run we had terrible facilities, a run down old stadium in a ****** neighborhood, terrible and typical for this city front running fan support.

We caught lightning in a bottle. Twice. I don't know how to explain our decline except to say we haven't gotten lucky again. We weren't helped by any of the "cheating" we got busted for, and we weren't held back by an admin. The stars just aligned and we we're lucky.

I'm calling bull**** on this and every other post on this site that tries to pin our woes on an administration that "doesn't care".

During the greatest run in UM Football history, and arguably one of the greatest runs of any program in CFB history, the president of UM was Tad Foote - a guy who not only didn't give a **** about football but was openly hostile towards the program and it's coaches.

During this phenomenal run we had terrible facilities, a run down old stadium in a ****** neighborhood, terrible and typical for this city front running fan support.

We caught lightning in a bottle. Twice. I don't know how to explain our decline except to say we haven't gotten lucky again. We weren't helped by any of the "cheating" we got busted for, and we weren't held back by an admin. The stars just aligned and we we're lucky.
get a grip, during this time when we had this great run, the game had not exploded like it did during the 2000's .
As the game exploded with $$$$$, the University was busy "harvesting" the brand., why do you think Nike was not to interested in Miami during last contract.We have been awful, awful in 15 years. we were not "lucky" with hires we had an HOF AD in Sam Jankovic ......success in anything starts with talent at the top ....... i suggest we have not had that type of talent at the top.
just a couple of thoughts on lack of talent at the level i refer to..... we passed on D.Mullen & B.Davis in recent years

The undergrad's ranking is now tied with FSU at 57. It was around 40 a couple of years ago.
The MBA program is currently unranked. The rankings go up to 131.
The law school is ranked 67.
The medical school is ranked 78 for primary care and 52 for research.
Engineering is 108.

I understand that the US News rankings are flawed, but perception is reality, and they are still held as the pre-eminent school rankings. All of the above are average to below average.

Yes, the school has new dorms and a student union. Investing in those facilities, however, does not equal academics. I did not like Shalala and still do not. However, from an academics perspective (ignoring the athletics side), she was much better for the school than Frenk.

In 2011, it was #33. I still remember because that was when I was accepted as a graduate student.

Miami and USC. Two private schools on very different paths right now (both athletically and academically). It all starts with a credible AD.

"The hiring of Foley would be a glaring sign that USC’s athletic department is breaking away from the self-sabotaging pattern of hiring unqualified former players."

USC is going to hit a homerun with their new AD, who is going to hire Meyer and USC will be in the playoffs in 2 years. Meanwhile, Blake James will throw a ticket tape parade (and have a contract extension ready) for Diaz if he manages to wins the ACC coastal in year 3.
You say that, but you ignore all the progress we are making in sports designsted for people who identify as women.

Advertisement
Back