Miami nabs grad transfer Dee Delaney

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
DeeDelaneyCitadel.jpg

Miami's defensive backfield just got a whole lot stronger for the 2017 season. The Citadel grad transfer cornerback Dee Delaney announced via Instagram on Tuesday morning that he would be using his final season of eligibility at the University of Miami.

CanesInSight first reported last week - https://www.canesinsight.com/articles/canes/3485 - that Delaney was set to visit Coral Gables and he was a serious target for the Hurricanes. Delaney recorded 11 interceptions in his last two seasons and was an FCS All-American. Miami views him as a starter-type for next season and believe he is a "bona fide pro".

Here are some clips:

[video=youtube;6J94X0F9W2E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J94X0F9W2E[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
This pickup is right up there with Navaughn Donaldson. Absolutely huge.
For this season it's bigger.
Agreed. Wrote this on the main board:

This one addition changes the dynamic of the entire defensive backfield. We're in serious business now if we can find a reliable second Safety. This move gives us more options to throw at that vulnerability.

Early projection:

CB Young/Dean
FS Jaquan/Michael Jackson/Jeff James
SS Finley/Carter
CB Delaney/Redwine/Mayes
Nickel Jaquan/Bandy

Things to consider:

- I think these top 4 of 5 in the Nickel package are highly likely for the early part of the season: Young, Delaney, Dean, Jaquan.
- How Michael Jackson transitions to Safety is an enormous variable in our DB equation. If he can show out, it makes us more flexible to allow Jaquan to play a utility role.
- If someone can step into the Safety role and provide some of what Jamal Carter served last year, Jaquan can play Nickel and Bandy won't have to be rushed.
- Jackson, Finley and Carter will now be in a death battle for PT. We will see the benefits of intense competition.
- I'd still see where Deejay Dallas fits as a DB after his look at WR this spring. Not saying he can't contribute at WR - the opposite really. Just really intrigued how his skill set transfers over to DB. We'll see if he gets a look. It's now more of a luxury.

I'm freakin' pumped.

----------------------------------------

As it relates to recruiting, I'd add I love the class separation this provides between Delaney and Dean with the incoming star recruits.

This pickup is right up there with Navaughn Donaldson. Absolutely huge.
For this season it's bigger.
Agreed. Wrote this on the main board:

This one addition changes the dynamic of the entire defensive backfield. We're in serious business now if we can find a reliable second Safety. This move gives us more options to throw at that vulnerability.

Early projection:

CB Young/Dean
FS Jaquan/Michael Jackson/Jeff James
SS Finley/Carter
CB Delaney/Redwine/Mayes
Nickel Jaquan/Bandy

Things to consider:

- I think these top 4 of 5 in the Nickel package are highly likely for the early part of the season: Young, Delaney, Dean, Jaquan.
- How Michael Jackson transitions to Safety is an enormous variable in our DB equation. If he can show out, it makes us more flexible to allow Jaquan to play a utility role.
- If someone can step into the Safety role and provide some of what Jamal Carter served last year, Jaquan can play Nickel and Bandy won't have to be rushed.
- Jackson, Finley and Carter will now be in a death battle for PT. We will see the benefits of intense competition.
- I'd still see where Deejay Dallas fits as a DB after his look at WR this spring. Not saying he can't contribute at WR - the opposite really. Just really intrigued how his skill set transfers over to DB. We'll see if he gets a look. It's now more of a luxury.

I'm freakin' pumped.

----------------------------------------

As it relates to recruiting, I'd add I love the class separation this provides between Delaney and Dean with the incoming star recruits.

Me personally i would rather have delaney and dean outside and kick young inside. And keep jaquan at safety. He was solid last year at nickel but i would rather have the athleticism young and bandy can bring to there.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Jordan and Delaney...
"this is from a close friend, he believes Dee Delaney will commit this weekend. Either while on campus or within 24 hours after. Says the only reason he hasn't already is he's never been on campus. And that Brevin Jordan is a silent to Miami. Just a couple of things he mentioned while we were having dinner yesterday, leads me to believe what he is saying is true. FWIW"...

This is fantastic news. Delaney can play and can bring some added experience and leadership to the DB room... GoCanes!

Jordan and Delaney...
"this is from a close friend, he believes Dee Delaney will commit this weekend. Either while on campus or within 24 hours after. Says the only reason he hasn't already is he's never been on campus. And that Brevin Jordan is a silent to Miami. Just a couple of things he mentioned while we were having dinner yesterday, leads me to believe what he is saying is true. FWIW"...

This is fantastic news. Delaney can play and can bring some added experience and leadership to the DB room... GoCanes!

Wow you are a prophet. No one else saw Delaney coming. Pete hire this man.

Advertisement
View attachment 43218

Miami's defensive backfield just got a whole lot stronger for the 2017 season. The Citadel grad transfer cornerback Dee Delaney announced via Instagram on Tuesday morning that he would be using his final season of eligibility at the University of Miami.

CanesInSight first reported last week - https://www.canesinsight.com/articles/canes/3485 - that Delaney was set to visit Coral Gables and he was a serious target for the Hurricanes. Delaney recorded 11 interceptions in his last two seasons and was an FCS All-American. Miami views him as a starter-type for next season and believe he is a "bona fide pro".

Vo60V.gif

Advertisement
This is huge. I'm confident we will find a 2nd capable safety, I'd consider moving Redwine there after the Delaney news. I've liked Mike Jack's size/speed combo and he was logging minutes at CB late in the season, so if they moved him to S they must envision him a viable option back there. He's definitely a sleeper for the spot. Picking up Dee can make this defense truly elite next year.

Advertisement
Back