Miami media

How about punt returner?

What about them? Are you telling me Harley and Pope, with their experience levels had drops because of coaching?
They are part of his Unit that is not performing .....
Could be technique (which I personally don't like - but thats another thread)
Could be concentration
Could be the rotation which always seemed weird
Could be we hold every thime we have a fairly decent return
Schemes??
Bottom line is his units made the same mistakes all year without improving!!

JC

Advertisement
They are part of his Unit that is not performing .....
Could be technique (which I personally don't like - but thats another thread)
Could be concentration
Could be the rotation which always seemed weird
Could be we hold every thime we have a fairly decent return
Schemes -
Bottom line is his units made the same mistakes all year without improving!!

JC

So basically when they’re good it’s the player not the coach and when they struggle it’s the coach not the player.

Does anyone in this city do their due diligence anymore? Like what the **** are these individuals seeing?! Special teams is more than just punting and kicking.
i'm not defending patke because getting borregales & hedley was all manny's doing... BUT specials teams *is* largely about punting (field position) and kicking (getting points). the vast majority of punts and kick offs are not returned, and even those that are returned fall in a very narrow range (6-8 yards for punt returns, 20-25 yards for kick returns etc). we clearly had issues w/ fielding punts but we had one of the best special teams ratings if you look at advanced numbers that track these things because we had the no 1 kicker in the country and a top 3 punter. at the end of the day, punting and kicking is what matters the most and it's not even close. our special teams was elite this year (again not using that as a defense of patke but it was a big accomplishment for manny)

Advertisement
We were 115th and 65th in punt return and kick return yards. All the yards we picked up with Hedley we gave back with our sorry return teams. Not just the punt returner but overall punt return team. Why did the guys have such terrible concentration issues? Maybe the weren't coached how to field a punt very well.
Pretty sure our coverage teams sucked as well but couldn't find any stats on that.

Advertisement
View attachment 140573

This is just one of the many things that continues to plague us. Another short sighted media member shooting his mouth off.

Then you factor all the others over the last two years clamoring for guys like Cooney and DVD to get promotions.

Former players like Joaquin making a stinking about TRob.

Does anyone in this city do their due diligence anymore? Like what the **** are these individuals seeing?! Special teams is more than just punting and kicking.
Manny did him a favor actually, fired him while he could still claim at his next interview that he coached the Groza winner and the runner up to the Ray Guy award.

Patke is also they guy who had one of the worst units last year too. So hey maybe think u just so happened to get a guy that was top of the kickers the same year we struggled. Special teams coaches are known for coverage units which ours was ok and our return game was horrendous regardless of muffed punts we constantly had guys in returners face. Get outta here with this reason to keep him. Our special teams coach should be a recruiting stud

View attachment 140573

This is just one of the many things that continues to plague us. Another short sighted media member shooting his mouth off.

Then you factor all the others over the last two years clamoring for guys like Cooney and DVD to get promotions.

Former players like Joaquin making a stinking about TRob.

Lol someone on Twitter tell him for the same reason we had trouble fielding punts cleanly the last 2 years

Advertisement
We also gave up long returns and and a KR TD against NC ST. It’s been a ****** operation for awhile

Advertisement
Was it confirmed that Diaz called plays? Some are saying he did while others are saying he didn't. Idk who to believe lol

So basically when they’re good it’s the player not the coach and when they struggle it’s the coach not the player.
When they continue to have the same issue and there’s no improvement over the course of the year with multiple players doing the same thing, especially technique wise - yea it’s the coach

plus - what return schemes is he running... there’s no continuity is plays. I bet Lance Rodgers can attest to this..

JC

Lol, Patke even mentioned in an interview that he didn't mess with Borregales or Hedley. He let them tell him if they were going to practice kicking or what they needed. So they were already coached up before they got here, not to mention ST is way more than just that.

Found it.
Starts around 10:24
I think there was another one where he mentions it, but can't find that one.

Look, not everyone is Devin Hester and kickoffs have almost been eliminated from football but there’s no excuse for the clown show at punt returner. There was nobody on the entire roster who could field a punt? Not return punts for touchdowns, or even get positive return yards. Just FIELDING a punt. My high school punt returner was better prepared and had fewer issues catching punts than Miami’s guys did this year.

Advertisement
Back