Miami/Louisville Jan 10 Game Thread

The biggest difference between last year's team and this year's team is we had Zay last year. He was frequently frustrating to watch, but he was also really good at breaking down the defense by getting into the lane and finishing. We don't have anyone capable of doing that right now, so our offense is constantly stuck on the perimeter.

Advertisement
Who might want to flip the switch, Bensley? C'mon now, tough to lay the blame on the only player in a Miami uniform who can slide his feet from baseline to baseline. Bensley is a very good on the ball defender. Only guy who does a good job of defending his yard.
There is no doubt that B Joseph is an active able defender, creating issues for the opponent. Certainly our best defender, although thats not saying much from team efforts we have seen. (His rebounding is so-so, even Cleveland easily outshines him there.)

But he is a liability on offense we cannot afford (unless the Pack n stuff are dropping 3's like flies.) He should take less shots and try to assist more. Omier belongs under the basket, he's trying to NBA things, and its not working. And no one passes to Casey under (or near) the basket (for good reason.)

Versus Clemson and WF (games we looked OK or better) Omier and George had a combined 52 FG tries (25 and 27). Against Louisville, it was a combined 11... SAME as the number of FGs Joseph attempted versus Louisville. Most missed badly. A change is needed, hope Coach L solves it.

Pack is just too mellow of a presence on the court. I’ve yet to really see him fired up.

That’s fine and all, if he could defend well. But he can’t. So if he’s cold (or hurt) he really brings absolutely not one intangible to the game.

Too many turnovers. Can't guard the 3 point line. Don't have an inside game. Its a 3 point shot or nothing.

Coach L says:
1705011711060.png

Yikes, not good.

Advertisement
Pack is just too mellow of a presence on the court. I’ve yet to really see him fired up.

That’s fine and all, if he could defend well. But he can’t. So if he’s cold (or hurt) he really brings absolutely not one intangible to the game.
@ North Carolina last year he was pretty fired up

The biggest difference between last year's team and this year's team is we had Zay last year. He was frequently frustrating to watch, but he was also really good at breaking down the defense by getting into the lane and finishing. We don't have anyone capable of doing that right now, so our offense is constantly stuck on the perimeter.
Said this before season and mentioned it while watching game #1 and probably #2,3, Etc. Wanted to see who had enough dribble to drive into the teeth of a defense geared to stop them, and make the right play, either score or get a teammate a better shot. Was told it wasnt a big deal or other players could do it. I think now more are seeing what I was saying. That and not getting a big which I mentioned multiple times in offseason and was told wasnt an issue..

Hope we can figure something out fassssssst.

There is no doubt that B Joseph is an active able defender, creating issues for the opponent. Certainly our best defender, although thats not saying much from team efforts we have seen. (His rebounding is so-so, even Cleveland easily outshines him there.)

But he is a liability on offense we cannot afford (unless the Pack n stuff are dropping 3's like flies.) He should take less shots and try to assist more. Omier belongs under the basket, he's trying to NBA things, and its not working. And no one passes to Casey under (or near) the basket (for good reason.)

Versus Clemson and WF (games we looked OK or better) Omier and George had a combined 52 FG tries (25 and 27). Against Louisville, it was a combined 11... SAME as the number of FGs Joseph attempted versus Louisville. Most missed badly. A change is needed, hope Coach L solves it.
First off, considering he's a forward and about 5-6 inches taller, Cleveland better be "outshining" Joseph on the boards. Secondly, all 5 of your starters can't be just scorers. At some point you've got to have guys on the floor that can do other things like defend and rebound. I think Bensley Joseph does an okay job of facilitating. He currently leads the team in assists at around 4 per clip. Would be nice to see that average closer to 6. Joseph has played the 3rd most minutes on the team this season, but is 5th in shot attempts taken. And rarely are you seeing him hunting for shots or taking ill-advised ones.

As for Omier, I don't agree that he should only be under the basket. I think he's shown enough improvement to play inside and out. His face up game is much improved and it makes him much more dangerous if he can be a threat from multiple levels. Besides, he's 6'5"-6'6" and playing strictly in the paint would really hurt any chance he may have of playing pro ball.

Those of you who are down on Casey, probably had unreasonable expectations for him this season. He didn't play much his freshmen year and in terms of experience he's played just as much at Miami as Kyshawn George has. Casey just needs to keep developing and playing hard.

Advertisement
This Miami team pretty much runs man-to-man, 95% of the time. Our perimeter guys have done a **** poor job of protecting their yard and keeping guys out the paint. At some point, ability has to translate on the court. Aside from Bens, none of the other perimeter players have shown they can consistently stay in front of their man. You'd think Wooga being so athletic wouldn't struggle in doing so, but he does. Cleveland is versatile, but he too has had his fair share of troubles on that end. And Pack? God bless him, but he can't defend a cone. George is showing progress but he still got a ways to go. Watson might be the second best on-ball defender, but that's not saying too much considering. As for post play, Omier has struggled against size. Case in point, last night Louisville's big man had a career night vs Norchad. For the most part, Omier plays hard and has a willingness to defend, but having a size disadvantage is tough for him to overcome some times. Casey has done a little better past couple of games, but he too is undersized and many times overwhelmed. I think Nwoko isn't seeing much action because he's shown to be completely lost defensively the few times he's been on the floor.
Excellent evaluation.

These are young guys so you might think they all should be able, when they are on the floor, to give 100% all the time, on both offense and defense.

I made the observation that UNC looks light years' better on defense this season than last. Same head coach. It's as if Hubert Davis said, "this year, we're gonna play as tough and as energetic defense as possible. If you don't, you sit." That's easy for him to say with a very deep roster; not so much for Coach L, with our six man rotation, and such a drop-off in production when he has to play our reserves.

First off, considering he's a forward and about 5-6 inches taller, Cleveland better be "outshining" Joseph on the boards. Secondly, all 5 of your starters can't be just scorers. At some point you've got to have guys on the floor that can do other things like defend and rebound. I think Bensley Joseph does an okay job of facilitating. He currently leads the team in assists at around 4 per clip. Would be nice to see that average closer to 6. Joseph has played the 3rd most minutes on the team this season, but is 5th in shot attempts taken. And rarely are you seeing him hunting for shots or taking ill-advised ones.

As for Omier, I don't agree that he should only be under the basket. I think he's shown enough improvement to play inside and out. His face up game is much improved and it makes him much more dangerous if he can be a threat from multiple levels. Besides, he's 6'5"-6'6" and playing strictly in the paint would really hurt any chance he may have of playing pro ball.

Those of you who are down on Casey, probably had unreasonable expectations for him this season. He didn't play much his freshmen year and in terms of experience he's played just as much at Miami as Kyshawn George has. Casey just needs to keep developing and playing hard.
Agree about Omier. He understandably gets many open looks at the top of the key and I have confidence in his shot. He doesn't need to be shooting a ton of outside shots but the threat he now poses should help L's play designing for others. As for his defense this season, just kidding but I wonder if learning he's only 6'5 1/2 (not 6'7) is in his head a bit! Too bad the NBA didn't tell him he was really 6'8 ;)

Agree about Omier. He understandably gets many open looks at the top of the key and I have confidence in his shot. He doesn't need to be shooting a ton of outside shots but the threat he now poses should help L's play designing for others. As for his defense this season, just kidding but I wonder if learning he's only 6'5 1/2 (not 6'7) is in his head a bit! Too bad the NBA didn't tell him he was really 6'8 ;)
The book is out on us. The Hurricanes don't play well without Omeir. If you can't get him foul trouble then you double team him. Louisville did that in a lot of instances and took away what we like to do. Omeir has to learn to attack double teams now. It's really a testament to how good he's gotten.

Coach L wil have him ready to deal with this or it will be a problem because this a copy cat league.

I think Bensley Joseph does an okay job of facilitating.
Recent performances and common sense suggests Omier (and George if in) taking more shots than Joseph makes the Canes more prosperous than the other way around. If y'all can't see this, God Bless ya. Astute thinking suggests Coach L was referring mainly to Joseph when he made his recent comments. Sure, he's a defensive asset, but think about last year's offense... Omier, Pack, and Wooga being "facilitated" (and augmented) by Wong and Miller. Now it's "by" Joseph and Cleveland. And Cleveland doesn't look to be the weakest link for a team struggling on offense now as much as on defense.

Advertisement
Recent performances and common sense suggests Omier (and George if in) taking more shots than Joseph makes the Canes more prosperous than the other way around. If y'all can't see this, God Bless ya. Astute thinking suggests Coach L was referring mainly to Joseph when he made his recent comments. Sure, he's a defensive asset, but think about last year's offense... Omier, Pack, and Wooga being "facilitated" (and augmented) by Wong and Miller. Now it's "by" Joseph and Cleveland. And Cleveland doesn't look to be the weakest link for a team struggling on offense now as much as on defense.

I never said Bensley should take more shots than Omier or any of the other starters. I just stated the fact that he plays the 3rd most minutes on the team and takes the 5th most shots tells me he's not being a ball hog or shooting the team out of games. Not sure where the confusion is ,but below is my initial response.

Advertisement
Back