Miami/Louisville Jan 10 Game Thread

I completely agree L has his work cut out for himself from a strategic, game planning perspective but this team, for lack of a better phrase, needs a f***ing attitude adjustment.

The worst P5 team in the country just came into our gym and whooped us. Big bad Norchad got bullied by a nobody. Wooga can’t make his famed pull up jumper to save his life. Pack is hurting us in a big way if he isnt hitting 3’s. Those 3 better wake up. Cleveland is our best player. Theyre not NBA bound college stars right now. Theyre good players on an average college basketball team.

I really thought this team was headed in the right direction after Clemson and Wake games but wow, this was a slap in the face.

George should be playing 30+ minutes. I dont care if he turns it over a couple times and air balls a 3. He offers WAY too much upside not to be on the court.
I think it's pretty evident that George needs more minutes. Not sure it's 30+ but should be averaging over 20+. And although I know it's very unlikely to happen and seriously doubt that Coach L would consider it, but Nigel Pack is the player I'd take out of the starting lineup. His scoring off the bench is just the kind of production and boost this team needs. If it were up to me, I'd go with our top rebounder (Omier), top defender (Bensley) and 3 guys (Cleveland, Wooga & George) who can put it in the hole.

Advertisement
Would be curious if this was an NIL thing or if the staff thought they were going to be able to get more out of the roster and perhaps overestimated.
Think it had a little to do with both. May have overestimated the roster some and weren't willing to dole out top dollar for a role player or two. I don't think there's any doubt that one of the biggest holes on the team is the BIG man position. However, considering we have a pretty good undersized post in Omier not sure there were many serviceable bigs in the portal willing to take a pay cut to come in and back him up.

Hard to disagree. We're very "un-physical," to say the least.
I don't think we were "un-physical" or necessarily soft last night. I think Miami was mentally soft last night. Got down and didn't show composure or mental fortitude down the stretch. Physically? We had players play thru some discomfort. Although we may not have played well, but don't think Louisville punked us or out-toughed us. I'd have to go back and check but I can't recall the last time we had 9 more offensive rebounds in a game vs a P5 opponent.

George is starting to put it together defensively. At what point does our staff say as a unit we’re atrocious defensively. Let’s insert some more length and consistent offense into the lineup with George for Joseph?

I wish it was Pack but we all know that’s not happening.

Advertisement
I don't think we were "un-physical" or necessarily soft last night. I think Miami was mentally soft last night. Got down and didn't show composure or mental fortitude down the stretch. Physically? We had players play thru some discomfort. Although we may not have played well, but don't think Louisville punked us or out-toughed us. I'd have to go back and check but I can't recall the last time we had 9 more offensive rebounds in a game vs a P5 opponent.
It may be mental but if u rewatch, take a look at how Omier elevates and snatches the rebound off a missed shot by Louisville when we were down 71-66. Around the 4 minute mark. He went up in a crowd, grabbed and secured that freakin' ball -- with authority!

And that's the Norchad I recall as such a physical beast -- rebounding and rim protecting - last season. This season, seems to pick his spots more. Maybe its being more cognizant of foul trouble (altho nothing changed there since last year). Maybe he is fighting through discomfort, pain, or whatever. idk.

Not picking on Omier. Just using the example I did to cover a general defensive malaise that this team seems to suffer from. Opponents penetrate easily to the rim, drill too many open 3 pointers where we're a step (sometines two) slow in closing.

Advertisement
It may be mental but if u rewatch, take a look at how Omier elevates and snatches the rebound off a missed shot by Louisville when we were down 71-66. Around the 4 minute mark. He went up in a crowd, grabbed and secured that freakin' ball -- with authority!

And that's the Norchad I recall as such a physical beast -- rebounding and rim protecting - last season. This season, seems to pick his spots more. Maybe its being more cognizant of foul trouble (altho nothing changed there since last year). Maybe he is fighting through discomfort, pain, or whatever. idk.

Not picking on Omier. Just using the example I did to cover a general defensive malaise that this team seems to suffer from. Opponents penetrate easily to the rim, drill too many open 3 pointers where we're a step (sometines two) slow in closing.
Do agree with you that there seems to be a "defensive malaise" at times. I think with the team in general, it's a few things. I think you make a valid point on Omier and others being cognizant of not getting into foul trouble. Also think at times we're just being lazy on D. No way around it. Not to pick on Omier neither, but a prime example of this is with about 2 minutes to go in the game last night, he allows one of their guards an uncontested finish at the rim while standing in front of the basket with his hands in his pocket and 3 fouls to give. Left me flabbergasted. Lastly, I also think we have guys on the team who are incapable of defending. Whether it's poor technique or slow feet, we've got our fair share of ineptitude on that side of the ball.

Do agree with you that there seems to be a "defensive malaise" at times. I think with the team in general, it's a few things. I think you make a valid point on Omier and others being cognizant of not getting into foul trouble. Also think at times we're just being lazy on D. No way around it. Not to pick on Omier neither, but a prime example of this is with about 2 minutes to go in the game last night, he allows one of their guards an uncontested finish at the rim while standing in front of the basket with his hands in his pocket and 3 fouls to give. Left me flabbergasted. Lastly, I also think we have guys on the team who are incapable of defending. Whether it's poor technique or slow feet, we've got our fair share of ineptitude on that side of the ball.

Not sure I agree with that in plural. Pack, yes. But Wooga, Cleveland, Omier, and (obv) Bens have the ability to defend.

George has come along nicely too and Watson started to show his ability to defend and rebound the last few games.

Not sure I agree with that in plural. Pack, yes. But Wooga, Cleveland, Omier, and (obv) Bens have the ability to defend.

George has come along nicely too and Watson started to show his ability to defend and rebound the last few games.
This Miami team pretty much runs man-to-man, 95% of the time. Our perimeter guys have done a **** poor job of protecting their yard and keeping guys out the paint. At some point, ability has to translate on the court. Aside from Bens, none of the other perimeter players have shown they can consistently stay in front of their man. You'd think Wooga being so athletic wouldn't struggle in doing so, but he does. Cleveland is versatile, but he too has had his fair share of troubles on that end. And Pack? God bless him, but he can't defend a cone. George is showing progress but he still got a ways to go. Watson might be the second best on-ball defender, but that's not saying too much considering. As for post play, Omier has struggled against size. Case in point, last night Louisville's big man had a career night vs Norchad. For the most part, Omier plays hard and has a willingness to defend, but having a size disadvantage is tough for him to overcome some times. Casey has done a little better past couple of games, but he too is undersized and many times overwhelmed. I think Nwoko isn't seeing much action because he's shown to be completely lost defensively the few times he's been on the floor.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Louisville has been in some fights this year. As I've said multiple times tonight, they aren't talented, they are poorly coached, but they fight. They also see a chance to end a two year road losing streak. I don't know if any of you have been on a truly terrible team, but when you are, and there's a chance to pick up a win, a lot of things tend to have to go right for that to happen. Miami, one of the better FT shooting teams in the country can't buy one from the line. Miami, one of the better three shooting teams in the country, can't hit one. You can't explain this.
We don't have the leadership, just like I told you after the loss to WF. Nor do we have the length.

Not that I remember.

I think we are too small to go zone. Our rebounding disadvantage would be even worse.
There are a myriad of reasons why a team will play zone, but depending on the zone your run many times it's done to neutralize a size disadvantage in hopes that the zone will minimize scoring in the paint and offensive rebounds. You'll also find teams go zone when opponents aren't particularly a good shooting team but are having their way with you on blow-byes. Someone mentioned it earlier. Coach L is set in his ways, but no question that there have been games this season where it would've probably benefited us if we played some zone.

Advertisement
I watched a replay of the UNC-NC State game from last nite. Last season, UNC was horrific defensively. They didn't guard anyone. Last nite, gotta say this years UNC squad does defend. Like night and day from last season. So ... it can be done -- if you have players who have the desire and some ability.

Getting tired of saying our so-called "bench" is hust soooo unproductive. We're getting pitiful contributions. Let's call George a starter. I'd take Bensley, Walker and Beverly over this season's Bensley, Casey and Watson any day. Didn't think we could take a step back with the bench, but we have. And that sad fact may have L telling his starters "don't be aggressive and rack up fouls."

I watched a replay of the UNC-NC State game from last nite. Last season, UNC was horrific defensively. They didn't guard anyone. Last nite, gotta say this years UNC squad does defend. Like night and day from last season. So ... it can be done -- if you have players who have the desire and some ability.

Getting tired of saying our so-called "bench" is hust soooo unproductive. We're getting pitiful contributions. Let's call George a starter. I'd take Bensley, Walker and Beverly over this season's Bensley, Casey and Watson any day. Didn't think we could take a step back with the bench, but we have. And that sad fact may have L telling his starters "don't be aggressive and rack up fouls."
No question, it can be done but again at some point one of either "can" or "will" has to give. Effort is a big part in it, but it I'm pretty sure it won't be the sole reason if/when Miami improves on that end. Pack may be our worse on-ball defender from the guys in the rotation. From my couch it looks like it's for many reasons. One reason is it looks like he's got slow lateral movement. Just doesn't seem to have the foot speed to stay in front of some the guards he's faced. Another part of the reason is he takes bad angles. But the biggest reason is it just doesn't look like he's engaged on that end of the floor as he is when he has the ball in his hands, which goes to confirm your point of having players with desire. And it's not to pick on Pack, because the same engaged/desire comment can be said for most of the other players as well.

Not having quality depth also plays a role on how aggressive you want your starters to be. I keep going back to playing some zone defenses. You'd think that a zone would help in navigating the players' thru foul trouble and tiredness over the course of the game. Larranaga is a very good coach and good coaches find ways to put their players in position to have success. Will be interesting to see what, if any changes are made as the season progresses.

Advertisement
Back