Miami is #27 in gross revenue

The ACC retains the media rights/revenue to any team that leaves the conference, which pretty much takes that whole idea off the table. This is the result of both Maryland leaving and the stellar deal Swafford negotiated with ESPN, which runs through 2034 or something like that.

So yeah, **** Tobacco Road, but we're not going anywhere for a while.

Advertisement
If true, that is a horribly negotiated clause (by the ACC).

But, does it include ND this year!?!? (j/k...but the ACC sucks)
Yeah, I was just reading up on it a few weeks ago. I was under the impression the league exit fee was $50M, but apparently after settling with Maryland they worked/extended a Grant of Rights provision into the new ESPN deal in 2016, which runs through 2036:

"The other major TV news was about the media rights schools would leave behind if they left the ACC.
Swofford said league schools unanimously extended a grant-of-rights provision that gives the ACC control of media rights — and more importantly, the money that comes with them — for any school that choses to leave the conference for the duration of the ESPN deal."

Yeah, I was just reading up on it a few weeks ago. I was under the impression the league exit fee was $50M, but apparently after settling with Maryland they worked/extended a Grant of Rights provision into the new ESPN deal in 2016, which runs through 2036:

"The other major TV news was about the media rights schools would leave behind if they left the ACC.
Swofford said league schools unanimously extended a grant-of-rights provision that gives the ACC control of media rights — and more importantly, the money that comes with them — for any school that choses to leave the conference for the duration of the ESPN deal."

Of course Blake James- the same dude who needlessly gave Mark Richt a contract extension when he wasn't going anywhere (and could have cost the school tens of millions of Richt had demanded the full amount due) and then paid Temple 4 million dollars for Manny Diaz- would chain the program to the ACC for almost the next two decades. It's treated us so well since we joined. The ACC brass really stood by the school when the NCAA spent more than four years trying to kill the program. That new deal is everything he and the BOT have ever dreamed of: being forever tied to a basketball conference that gets cucked by Notre Dame and prides itself on being made up of academic elites.

Advertisement
Of course Blake James- the same dude who needlessly gave Mark Richt a contract extension when he wasn't going anywhere (and could have cost the school tens of millions of Richt had demanded the full amount due) and then paid Temple 4 million dollars for Manny Diaz- would chain the program to the ACC for almost the next two decades. It's treated us so well since we joined. The ACC brass really stood by the school when the NCAA spent more than four years trying to kill the program. That new deal is everything he and the BOT have ever dreamed of: being forever tied to a basketball conference that gets cucked by Notre Dame and prides itself on being made up of academic elites.

It’s no different than Blake & The Adidas deal. Yes, it’s the most $ we’ve ever seen, but most programs sign a 5-10 yr deal w/ an apparel company b/c the evaluation changes about every 5 yrs. We struck a deal worth about $6.5m/yr. Well, that # looked good on paper, initially, but just 3 yrs later, Washington signed w Adidas for “10 yrs” $119m!

The market changes, so y handcuff urself? Michigan went from $8m to $17m after a 8 yr negotiation.

Blake tends to see short term vs. long term & gets suckered, a lot. He’s more reactionary. I would’ve never agreed to this ACC deal w/ it’s ramifications. Always stay flexible.

Personally, I'd rather jump to the Big 12 than stay in the ACC. Get into the Texas media market. You have a huge latino community in Texas, and Miami is considered the capital of Latin America. ****, since the Big 12 lets schools keep the third tier rights, Miami could ink a separate deal with Telemundo or Univision and become a staple of Saturday tv to basically become the Notre Dame of Latin America.
I agree strongly with the bold and have said this for years to people.

Personally, I'd rather jump to the Big 12 than stay in the ACC. Get into the Texas media market. You have a huge latino community in Texas, and Miami is considered the capital of Latin America. ****, since the Big 12 lets schools keep the third tier rights, Miami could ink a separate deal with Telemundo or Univision and become a staple of Saturday tv to basically become the Notre Dame of Latin America.

If not for your crazy ideas about joining the AAC (terrible idea), I'd say you would make a fantastic AD. I really like your idea here and it's exactly the kind of thing that Blake James/Miami would never do, because they're terribly managed and they have no vision or creativity at all.

Miami's idea of raising revenue begins and ends with picking up the phone and calling Carol Soffer, and a whole lot of begging. It's almost laughable how poorly managed they are.

Advertisement

Latin America is all catholic lol.

Advertisement
The ACC has done everything they can to ***** Miami every chance they got. Starting the FSU being our cross division Game every year and having it count. Amazingly, UNC gets to play Wake and they manage to have not count for ACC record. We’d have been in 4-5 conference title games minimum if it wasn’t for that. Thats not even getting into the the home cooking the refs give everyone of our conference opponents. It’s a joke and those hillbilly’s have been laughing for the last 15 years.

Advertisement
I like how you think.....The U on this channel? Sign me up....

View attachment 139181

1609443732076.png

1609443922847.png

1609444077716.png

Advertisement
Back