Miami inches closer to indoor facility

Getting an IPF is very important and for recruits to know. Since they are raising the money I don't care if it's $28 or $50 Mil. Sounds like it will include weight rooms and coaches offices. So it's probably being looked at as an extension of football offices, training/therapy as well as a practice field.

Advertisement
$28M? Wtf gona be built outa gold.
I built (165 mph rated) 200'x 270' indoor equestrian arena w/ high end sports lighting, acoustics, site electric/plumbing, and new restroom bldg for $2.3M.
Shouldn't be more than $5M

I've been meaning to talk to you about that. We had wind gusts here the other night topping out at around 17mph and the facility you built me collapsed upon itself faster than a 4th quarter Donofrio defense. Killed my youngest son and a couple quarter horses I was hoping to race at 3rd rate tracks/pari-mutuel facilties across the South. I can survive without the kid but you're going to have to reimburse me for the horses.

Shoulda put insurance on the horses.....they get purdy darn expensive

I just wanted to give perspective that instead of waiting to get all the bells & whistles w/ an IPF this coulda been built a while ago

I built (165 mph rated) 200'x 270' indoor equestrian arena w/ high end sports lighting, acoustics, site electric/plumbing, and new restroom bldg for $2.3M.

I've been meaning to talk to you about that. We had wind gusts here the other night topping out at around 17mph and the facility you built me collapsed upon itself faster than a 4th quarter Donofrio defense. Killed my youngest son and a couple quarter horses I was hoping to race at 3rd rate tracks/pari-mutuel facilties across the South. I can survive without the kid but you're going to have to reimburse me for the horses.
I have to down vote this post, as D'Onofrio's defense collapsed long before the 4th.

Lol but there's still those among us who don't believe Shalala was the problem.

And a year ago there were people who hated Blake James.

Fans are dumb and look to heap blame upon anybody who's face they recognize.

Donna Shalala didn't make football decisions. She cared a lot about athletics. Her track record at both Wisconsin and Miami prove that. the fact that we didn't win as much (like they did at Wisconsin during her tenure) doesn't mean she was holding anything back.

Advertisement
Can't see Donna telling a donor not to build a practice facility. Blake said this has been on his radar for 1.5 years... That means Donna was around for that. Old narrative. Time to move forward. All the same movements would have taken place if Donna were still here. This is more about the BOT than her. She hired Blake and paved the way for all this.

Stop!

You're being too rational.

Lol but there's still those among us who don't believe Shalala was the problem.

And a year ago there were people who hated Blake James.

Fans are dumb and look to heap blame upon anybody who's face they recognize.

Donna Shalala didn't make football decisions. She cared a lot about athletics. Her track record at both Wisconsin and Miami prove that. the fact that we didn't win as much (like they did at Wisconsin during her tenure) doesn't mean she was holding anything back.
It has been reported by many with connections in the university that she limited spending. I'm not saying she made football decisions but she did limit the program. She also had a lot of input in the Golden situation. She made the publicly evident.

The university change in investment in the program is not a coincidence. The university has new leadership. Frenk is not making football decisions but he has allowed those who are to do what it takes to win.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

It has been reported by many with connections in the university that she limited spending. I'm not saying she made football decisions but she did limit the program.

Silliness and you have nothing to go on except vague statements by 'people' close to the program.

Advertisement
The university change in investment in the program is not a coincidence. The university has new leadership.

Some big donor decided to cut a check for a specific athletic project. That's not about leadership.

Donna was great at getting people to donate money. She ran two billion dollar fund-raising campaigns.

Frenk is not making football decisions but he has allowed those who are to do what it takes to win.

Puhlease.

If you think Julio Frenk had anything to do with this then you're delusional.

If so then you have to start giving Tad Foote credit for the 1980's.

Silly.

It has been reported by many with connections in the university that she limited spending. I'm not saying she made football decisions but she did limit the program.

Silliness and you have nothing to go on except vague statements by 'people' close to the program.
What do you have to go on? The belief that the highest person in the organization has no say on what funding goes towards. Shalala constantly made public statements on athletics so the theory that she wasn't involved doesn't work. During the BC game when they announced Goldens extension, it was her not the AD.

Why do I believe the reporting from the close to the organization? Because it's backed up by evidence. Things have changed since she left and they were different before she arrived. Those stating she had no involvement in out decline believe in coincidence way too much.

Advertisement
Shalala extended and overpaid Folden. Donofrio and Coley were also overpaid based on their experience/results as coordinators.

We picked the wrong coaches 3 times in a row. Same thing has happened in the past with big money programs that have never been accused of under-valuing football. Take a look at Alabama, LSU and USC for proof of how picking the wrong HCs fcks your program even if your school takes football very seriously.

This not going to be a glorified pole barn, come on now you should know better. FSU's cost $15+ mill and I believe UF's was $18 million. So $25 mill in Miami sounds about right.

An although it won't be made out of gold the benefits it brings to UM will make it be worth its weight in gold.

Go Canes

Last edited:
It's mildly amusing (in a very shallow way) to see people comment with great conviction on their knowledge of how the University works...especially who has the authority to do what and who was holding the program back...

I know...i know...i'm pouring gas on the fire here...I was just in a mood to bang on the side of the cage I suppose...

Everyone knows everything here and has always had the solutions to our problems. It's too bad though that none of the well compensated powers that be listened or perhaps they'd still have jobs.

Brock, ypu say this is more expensive than 90 percent of the IPF's planned or in existence. Can you provide anything to back that claim?

From the research I did, it looks like he's right if you take in consideration All of the SEC (excluding UGA who's cost is on par w us); All of the ACC, and majority of the PAC 12 (exceptions being Utah and Oregon)

The Big 10 have spent big money on football "complexes" but for the schools that have a separate IPF, they range between $12-26.4m (Michigan was the most expensive there)

Our cost is not egregious, especially for the land value, and what it'll be used for. If we were in Bama or Mississippi, pretty sure the cost would be more less $11-12m.

IF (I think someone mentioned UM is) the IPF is going to be built over the existing Greentree practice site, there would't be any land costs, but certainly site improvements (foundation prep, mechanicals and electrical, tie-in to CoGC and FPL infrastructure, etc) are going to be required. I believe it was also reported the IPF would be a multi-purpose structure serving not only AD (they have priority obviously), but general University purposes as well.

Advertisement

You aren't going to win the argument with logic. As most of us have experienced when dealing with crazy people...YOU are the one with the problem and not them.

It is fun however, to bang the side of the cage and watch them go full-on rhesus monkey though...

+1 for trying...

With the above said, I would offer this olive branch between the fact/evidence based and the factless/I just know based (now that wasn't very nice...I know...I know...I can't help it)...

Regardless of who had what authority and influence to recruit, hire, and fire key leadership/management positions in the AD (and football program specifically), I would hope (it is actually a COA...just not a good one) that we can all agree the overall direction, at this point in time, seems to have turned in a positive direction with the hiring and spring performance of the new staff vs where the program would be now if the previous staff had been retained.

While we disagree with fellow fans (are other boards like this?), does ANYONE think the previous staff were better suited going forward than the staff in place right now? I would think not...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back