Miami inches closer to indoor facility

The belief that the highest person in the organization has no say on what funding goes towards. Shalala constantly made public statements on athletics so the theory that she wasn't involved doesn't work.

Of course she made public statements on things. She was the President of the University. It was her job to be a spokesperson for the school.

Advertisement
Why do I believe the reporting from the close to the organization? Because it's backed up by evidence. Things have changed since she left and they were different before she arrived.

What you're saying is as rational as giving her credit for the 2001 national championship. I mean she wasn't there in 2000 and then when she got there in 2001 we won! Right?

Things were in motion before she got there and the President of the University doesn't have anything to do with football. Tad Foote is waiting for you to praise him for being the greatest President in the history of athletics.

We picked the wrong coaches 3 times in a row. Same thing has happened in the past with big money programs that have never been accused of under-valuing football. Take a look at Alabama, LSU and USC for proof of how picking the wrong HCs fcks your program even if your school takes football very seriously.

Yeah.

Blame Paul Dee and Kirby Hocutt. If you want to say that Shalala is at fault for hiring Hocutt then fine. That's reasonable. But she also hired Blake James and people ridiculed that hire for being 'lazy' and uninspiring.

People usually just hate Shalala for her politics.

Advertisement
Why do I believe the reporting from the close to the organization? Because it's backed up by evidence. Things have changed since she left and they were different before she arrived.

What you're saying is as rational as giving her credit for the 2001 national championship. I mean she wasn't there in 2000 and then when she got there in 2001 we won! Right?

Things were in motion before she got there and the President of the University doesn't have anything to do with football. Tad Foote is waiting for you to praise him for being the greatest President in the history of athletics.
I never said the presidents made football decisions. But they can limit spending and she did so. She was heavily involved in the Golden situation. Frenk didn't hire Richt but he sure approved us spending 4 million plus assistants and allowed the IPF to be a true priority.

Regardless of who had what authority and influence to recruit, hire, and fire key leadership/management positions in the AD (and football program specifically), I would hope (it is actually a COA...just not a good one) that we can all agree the overall direction, at this point in time, seems to have turned in a positive direction with the hiring and spring performance of the new staff vs where the program would be now if the previous staff had been retained.

Sure but people thought it was going in the right direction in 2011 with the hiring of Golden.

That's the problem. Many of these same people ripping Golden were praising him 5 years ago. They'll be hating Mark Richt very soon too.

But they can limit spending and she did so.

Complete speculation with absolutely no evidence whatsoever.

You just didn't like her and so you rip her. Same thing with our coaches. They're easy scapegoats.
Peter Ariz and Barry Jackson both reported that she was right on how much of donations was allowed to go to athletics. They are trustworthy guys and the evidence is supported by the turnaround we've seen. Not complete speculation there.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Advertisement
What do you have to go on?

The fact that I know what the President's job is.

Again...

You with the understanding of how a university like Miami is organized and what key positions have what authorities, roles, amd responsibilities.

It's crazy talk really. Madness.
I've never said the President is the athletic director but I bet I could say who the AD reports to when he wants to hire several million dollar employees.

Look at the actions of Blake James while shalala was here vs how they are now.... It has been a complete 180 and that might be an understatement

Regardless of who had what authority and influence to recruit, hire, and fire key leadership/management positions in the AD (and football program specifically), I would hope (it is actually a COA...just not a good one) that we can all agree the overall direction, at this point in time, seems to have turned in a positive direction with the hiring and spring performance of the new staff vs where the program would be now if the previous staff had been retained.

Sure but people thought it was going in the right direction in 2011 with the hiring of Golden.

That's the problem. Many of these same people ripping Golden were praising him 5 years ago. They'll be hating Mark Richt very soon too.

I wrote an analysis of the hirings (and the organizational design) that led to the results the program has seen (and not seen) going all the way back to Schnellenberger.

Granted I used some 8th grade vocabulary so there were a small few who found the text a bit to dense for their comprehension levels...but I digress...

I'll offer a shorter version again...

Since the hiring og Schnellenberger, Miami has ALWAYS hired "take a chance" HCs at below top 10-20 salaries. The Hurricanes, since that time, have remained a strong stepping stone program (towards the NFL) for HCs and not a DESTINATION organization. This organizational design worked with Schellenberger, Johnson, Erickson (sort of), and Davis. It did not work out with Coker, Shannon, amd Golden.

In light of the changing landscape in DI and the sting to the BOT for the past x3 swings and misses, they step forward and offered a DESTINATION (or at least a blod move towards) premium to Richt (with salary, staff salary, and promises of infrastructure upgrades). HE IS THE OUTLIER as a proven and winning HC from another DI power to come to the Hurricanes since 1978. Thats right...1978.

So far, so good...now the results need to follow on the field with Ws vs Ls.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Again...

You with the understanding of how a university like Miami is organized and what key positions have what authorities, roles, amd responsibilities.

I've never said the President is the athletic director but I bet I could say who the AD reports to when he wants to hire several million dollar employees.

The President's office at Miami (and I would argue every P5 school) has a ceremonial role when it comes to ADs and the hire/fire/operations. To be sure, they play a role in grip and grins and other fundraising activities, but specified donations can't be touched by anyone except for the intended receipent (that's law).

Let me ask fellow fans this...

Name a SINGLE university president who was fired specifically for lack of AD performance in any sport. In fact, I can't think of one who was fired for AD staff misconduct outside of the PSU scandal (and the paper trail showed he tried to bury that tragic mess). Mizzou doesn't count either as the President resigned because of the massive student body unrest and the AD athletes were acting as subset of the overall events, not alone themselves.

Last edited:

Again...

The President's office at Miami (and I would argue every P5 school) has a ceremonial role when it comes to ADs and the hire/fire/operations. To be sure, they play a role in grip and grins and other fundraising activities, but specified donations can't be touched by anyone except for the intended receipent (that's law).

Let me ask fellow fans this...

Name a SINGLE university president who was fired specifically for lack of AD performance in any sport. In fact, I can't think of one who was fired for AD staff misconduct outside of the PSU scandal (and the paper trail showed he tried to bury that tragic mess).
Again, didn't say the President could be fired for athletic performance. Their job is to build the University. However, if you had a president that firmly believed money should go to other areas and neglected athletics then that would have an effect. If you had a president who saw athletics as a great investment for the revenue it brought in and University prestige (as Frenk has spoken about) then that too could have an effect.

We picked the wrong coaches 3 times in a row. Same thing has happened in the past with big money programs that have never been accused of under-valuing football. Take a look at Alabama, LSU and USC for proof of how picking the wrong HCs fcks your program even if your school takes football very seriously.

People usually just hate Shalala for her politics.

There is that...she is a Clintonista through and through...isn't she President of CGI or one of their other foundations now?

Advertisement
$28MM is about right for a properly sized IPF, which for the ideal sized "field" area should be about 54,000 SF, with a zenith clear height of 90 - 120 ft. That's quite a span (I am guessing an equestrian facility - unless they have flying horses requires a lot less). Add to this primary component - offices, lockers, other training areas, etc., and probable architectural requirements... $28MM may be a bit low. Depending on where it gets sited, they may have to cut back on aome of the other components to meet that budget, perhaps by using the existing newer facilities.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back