"Miami Hurricanes RB recruit Cody Brown could be first in a handful of additions..."

Advertisement
This article immediately made me think two things. First, Manny is willing to take portal guys now because he thinks/need to win NOW. This is a little like an NFL team trading future draft pics for players who can help now. Second, Manny must think we will not land “stars” in the 2022 class. If we were in it for several big-time players we would need the ICs for high school guys. I hope he is right and we actually win big next season. Dare I say it?

15-0
I get it but at the same time landing big time players isn't as simple as it seems. Some guys are simply not going to be allowed to come to Miami when they have a parent working 2 jobs and 3-4 siblings and still in borderline Jamaica level poverty......This is real life for these kids their chance to become "Pros" at what they do doesn't start at the NFL, it starts during College Football National Signing day in Dec/Feb. We are only going to get so many of the kids in our backyard/footprint because we simply cannot compete (talking dollars and cents here) with the likes of what that GA HS coach Prospt was alluding to in those sound bites/recording.

Diaz is doing it the right way and we have to trust the process....get the 20 kids you like most out of HS and supplement last 4-5 slots with immediate impact/proven players.

Exactly. He’d be an immediate upgrade with two years of eligibility remaining. Jarrid Williams didn’t even make honorable mention all AAC in 2019 and he was our best lineman in 2020.
Not sure but wasn’t Tommy Kennedy All **** Conference?

Advertisement
No, that was the gist. Agree, weird. I guess no details on the other positions yet.

Also, cutting kids who take care of their academics, practice hard, but struggle on the field, doesn't make a lot of sense when you consider that sending them packing allows us to sign exactly zero more kids in the next class. So not sure how cutting them would help upgrade anything. Let them get beat out. But also let them push the guys who may or may not beat them out. You need numbers.

You can't cut those type of kids anymore, scholarships are basically guaranteed now.

Now you can nudge a kid out in other ways and hope He gets the hint, but if you're gonna outright cut a kid, you better have a good reason.

Hmmm I wonder if Arik Gilbert is in play? He’s the only TE that is/could be out there that would be worth burning a 22 scholarship on.
Flunked out LSU allegedly, couldn't qualify for admissions to UF, currently not in good academic standing in juco. That will be an emphatic NO for Cane interest in Gilbert. He would be SEC bound if he was able to.

Flunked out LSU allegedly, couldn't qualify for admissions to UF, currently not in good academic standing in juco. That will be an emphatic NO for Cane interest in Gilbert. He would be SEC bound if he was able to.

LOL, apparently some of our fans think this is the NFL, Colleges have the APR to worry about.

You can't cut those type of kids anymore, scholarships are basically guaranteed now.

Now you can nudge a kid out in other ways and hope He gets the hint, but if you're gonna outright cut a kid, you better have a good reason.
Not only that but it's **** near impossible to hit the 85 scholarship limit with only 25 IC's a year and players constantly leaving early or transferring. The only reason you'd dump a player who’s not locker room cancer is to clear scholarship room but since nobody is in jeopardy of going over the 85 limit, nobody needs to clear room.

Advertisement
I am interested to see how Manny plays this out. We all agree this is a do or die year for him. Go out guns blazing. Try to sneak up on Clemson if you can in a potential "down year" for them.

That said, we need a "steroid shot" year to get recruiting going in full steam ahead mode. We need a 12-1/11-2, top 5 finish type season to get kids noticing us and buy in to what Manny is selling especially locally. I am willing to sellout the 2022 class to make this season what we need.

I am interested to see how Manny plays this out. We all agree this is a do or die year for him. Go out guns blazing. Try to sneak up on Clemson if you can in a potential "down year" for them.

That said, we need a "steroid shot" year to get recruiting going in full steam ahead mode. We need a 12-1/11-2, top 5 finish type season to get kids noticing us and buy in to what Manny is selling especially locally. I am willing to sellout the 2022 class to make this season what we need.
Looking at 22 in south florida,it seems most of the talent is on defense.6 DL,2 LB,3 CB,1 S=12. 1 QB,2 WR,3 OL,1 TE,1 P=8. 12+8=20.That's our class for 22.

Advertisement
So a kid who has eligibility remaining cannot transfer? If you are implying the NCAA should expand its 25 yearly limit, then I am sure the majority of institutions would be behind it.

I'm saying that you have to take transfers (largely) out of the IC equation. You should get a "transfer IC" for every kid who transfers OUT of your school in good academic standing and who has made good academic progress.

If kids get arrested, flunk out, drop out, get kicked off the team, etc., then you have to burn an IC to replace those guys.

But if a kid who transfers has done nothing wrong, made academic progress, is on track to graduate, etc., then you should be able to replace that kid with a transfer-in with no penalty.

Advertisement

What a load of HORSESH!TE.

1. "Flunked out at LSU allegedly" - where are these "allegations"? Sure, maybe the kid was struggling, but "flunking out" would indicate that he was forced to leave LSU, which is not what happened.

2. "Couldn't qualify for admissions to UF" - while this is certainly POSSIBLE, are we supposed to believe that Mullet was SO CLUELESS about the academic rules that he offered (and accepted a verbal) from a kid who had just "FLUNKED OUT" of LSU? Yeah, riiiiight.

3. "Currently not in good academic standing in juco" - what JuCo is he enrolled at? So he JUST ENROLLED in an unnamed and unidentified JuCo a few weeks ago and he is ALREADY in bad academic standing...you know...before grades are even submitted for the spring semester? Wow, this kid must be some kind of fast non-worker to already have a zero-point-zero grade point average...not to mention the NCAA requiring him to get a full 2-year diploma before bouncing back to a 4-year school...seems like the kid is expecting to play somewhere in six months.

Here's some reality. While the NCAA has been debating the waiver of the 1-year sit-out rule for transfers, THE SEC HAS NOT YET REPEALED ITS RULE, thus Gilbert would have to sit for a year at UiF. Or any other SEC school.

To reference another thread, if there is any truth to the article that said Miami may be signing 5 transfers AND TE IS ONE OF THE POSITIONS, then you might be able to connect the dots and figure out that MAYBE Miami could be a landing spot for Gilbert.

We'll see. Stay tuned.

That’s why I’m more than ok with the take. This is all justice. He knows better than anybody, it’s his *** if this guy is another Kennedy. He must think highly of him.

Exactly.

And the problem with Kennedy was that nobody had really seen him up close for significant time in a qualitative sense. I remember hearing that NEARLY IMMEDIATELY after Kennedy got to UM, the Miami coaches realized he wasn't nearly as strong as he seemed to be on film.

Eye test. It exists for a reason. Justice wouldn't put his reputation on the line to take some kid from UNLV when ICs are tight if he didn't think he could contribute. A lot. And immediately.

Advertisement
Back