"Miami Hurricanes RB recruit Cody Brown could be first in a handful of additions..."

Cryptical Envelopment

What a long strange trip it's been
Banned
This is portal related, not HS related, so going with the football board.... per Manny N. @ The Athletic... some snippets:

"Brown is not expected to be the last addition to Miami’s 2021 roster. The Hurricanes are also pursuing former UNLV offensive lineman Justice Oluwaseun and are searching the transfer portal for more help at linebacker, tight end and the defensive line. That help could become available once spring football ends and more players enter the portal. Diaz has essentially given the green light to use as many as five scholarships from the 2022 cycle to address immediate needs and standout players should they become available in the portal.

Offensive line might not seem like a “transfer priority” considering the Hurricanes have eight linemen back with starting experience, including all five starters. But it’s clear Justice views Oluwaseun (6-3, 325) as the type of player who can come in and help the program.
Justice coached Oluwaseun at UNLV in 2018 and 2019 and covets him because of his versatility to play multiple positions. Oluwaseun started 21 games at UNLV over the past three seasons and has Baylor and Rutgers also after him.

“He told me that he was excited about Miami especially because of D’Eriq King being from Houston,” Oluwaseun’s high school coach, Shaun McDowell, told The Athletic on Monday. “I think it’s a program that fits his build a little bit. That’s what he wants.”

McDowell, who coached Oluwaseun and Dallas Cowboys first-round pick CeeDee Lamb at Foster High School in Richmond, Texas, said the lineman was the cornerstone of his team’s offensive front during a 14-1 senior season in 2016.

“He had probably 14, 15 Division 1 offers and chose to go to UNLV,” McDowell said. “He has always been one of the most physical, athletic big men I’ve ever been around. He was 6-1, 280 when I had him. Now, he’s like 6-3, 320-plus. He’s a student of the game, does a great job of being a great teammate and I think if he chooses to go to Miami he’s going to start right away. I think he’s likely a guard because he’s so physical and nasty, and I think he’s an NFL-type guy in a couple of years — if not already by next year.”

In the three seasons he saw action at UNLV from 2018 to 2020, Oluwaseun started 12 games at right tackle, eight at left tackle and one at left guard. He saw his first action toward the end of the 2018 season. According to Pro Football Focus, he graded out above average (70.9) as a redshirt sophomore in 2019, giving up four sacks and 21 pressures in 368 pass-blocking snaps. He graded out even better last season (78.9), giving up only two sacks and nine pressures in 267 pass-blocking snaps.

McDowell said the reason Oluwaseun didn’t get any Power 5 offers coming out of high school was because he was too short. The Houston native with Nigerian roots was rated a two-star prospect in the 247Sports Composite rankings coming out of high school,

“There were a couple games we’d pull him and line him up with a linebacker and we thought he killed a couple kids. It was like ‘Oh my goodness.’ He would just latch-on to folks,” McDowell said. “He’s so big with massive hands, great leverage that it wasn’t nothing to see him pancake kids all over the field. He’s that type of guy. He can do anything you want — inside pass pro. He just smiles the whole time. There was one time we were practicing in the gym because of the bad weather. After it was over, he stayed in the gym dunking a football in front of recruiters. It was amazing.

“Kansas State offered him like a gray shirt,” McDowell continued. “If Kansas State would’ve offered him, he would have blown up. . . . Got a lot of interest here, but UNLV did a great job recruiting him. We already had a kid there. They probably did the best job recruiting him. He’s gained like two inches and 20 pounds. So, if he was in high school right now, he’d be a Power 5 guy no doubt.”

McDowell said the last time he spoke with Oluwaseun was a couple of weeks ago. McDowell said he’s received more calls from colleges about his former lineman since January than any of his current players.

“I think he’s going through the process, wants to make sure he picks the right school,” McDowell said. “He does have a high desire to continue to improve and go into a culture of winning and wants to win. He’s ready to be around a big-time Power 5 elite program. I know Miami, Rutgers, Baylor and a couple of others have offered him. He’s just trying to pick the right school.”

If Oluwaseun signs with Miami, he’ll come in with 1,432 career snaps worth of college experience. That would be the fifth-most on the team.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is a weird article. Talks about looking for OL, DE and TE in one sentence then the rest of it is about Oluwaseun. Unless those snippets are just very selective toward the content on him.

Don't really get why we'd prioritize another TE over another WR or CB, given the lack of talent in those rooms.

Would really love to see us cut some dead weight and upgrade some talent. I'm not gonna name names, but sounds like Bee Biggins and CJ Divey.

This is a weird article. Talks about looking for OL, DE and TE in one sentence then the rest of it is about Oluwaseun. Unless those snippets are just very selective toward the content on him.

Don't really get why we'd prioritize another TE over another WR or CB, given the lack of talent in those rooms.

Would really love to see us cut some dead weight and upgrade some talent. I'm not gonna name names, but sounds like Bee Biggins and CJ Divey.

No, that was the gist. Agree, weird. I guess no details on the other positions yet.

Also, cutting kids who take care of their academics, practice hard, but struggle on the field, doesn't make a lot of sense when you consider that sending them packing allows us to sign exactly zero more kids in the next class. So not sure how cutting them would help upgrade anything. Let them get beat out. But also let them push the guys who may or may not beat them out. You need numbers.

Advertisement
This article immediately made me think two things. First, Manny is willing to take portal guys now because he thinks/need to win NOW. This is a little like an NFL team trading future draft pics for players who can help now. Second, Manny must think we will not land “stars” in the 2022 class. If we were in it for several big-time players we would need the ICs for high school guys. I hope he is right and we actually win big next season. Dare I say it?

15-0

Can anyone tell me if that UNLV kid good enough to come in and play right away? If he can, go get him. If not I don’t think we need to waste an IC on a guy who isn’t gonna crack the starting lineup. We have other positions we need to upgrade. I would take a depth guy at corner, DE and Lber before a depth guy on the O line.

This article immediately made me think two things. First, Manny is willing to take portal guys now because he thinks/need to win NOW. This is a little like an NFL team trading future draft pics for players who can help now. Second, Manny must think we will not land “stars” in the 2022 class. If we were in it for several big-time players we would need the ICs for high school guys. I hope he is right and we actually win big next season. Dare I say it?

15-0

it was likely gonna be like 18 or so kids to begin with.

Advertisement

15-0

I think the '22 class doesn't have a lot of Cane locks in it, that we are going to have to go out of state for some positions that aren't that strong in SFL this year, and that its going to be a grind... sort of a bridge class between 21 and 23, so yeah, if you can steal a 1st or 2nd year stud in the portal after the Covid season, and fill a few spots with them, it makes a lot of sense. Especially since you get them a season and a spring earlier. I do think it can help win now, but I don't think he's taking a bunch of upper classmen that will create depth problems further down the road. He's been pretty strategic with it. ****, even look at King and Williams. They were like 30 when they got here and we are probably going to get around 24 or so starts out of each of them. That's really all you can ask for from a kid no matter when you sign them.

A third reason may be that manny see a potential increase in players for 2022.

15-0

Advertisement
Can anyone tell me if that UNLV kid good enough to come in and play right away? If he can, go get him. If not I don’t think we need to waste an IC on a guy who isn’t gonna crack the starting lineup. We have other positions we need to upgrade. I would take a depth guy at corner, DE and Lber before a depth guy on the O line.

UNLV OL Justice Oluwaseun didn't make any of the 5 all conference mountain west selection teams not even honorable mention. Yet the narrative the media and his high school coaches are pushing is that he is Miami caliber. Hmmm let's put it this way Dr. Scott Patchan made 1st team all MNW, and scott had to leave UM to get on the field because the UM talent in front of him was better. Yet Justice Oluwaseun can't even make honorable mention in that same conference were there is supposedly 25 all conference players that were better than him in 2020.

Go Canes

15-0
Has more to do with the numbers on the roster. 1 qb, 2 wr, 1 te, 3 o-linemen, 5-6 d-linemen, 2 LBs, 3-4 cbs, 1 safety. You could potentially get 20 guys out of those numbers.

Advertisement
Back