Miami Hurricanes at the nfl combine

Advertisement
Feel like he's the kind of kid that states he's from East St Louis High School if he ever gets his face on those pre-game introductions.
I wouldn't worry about that happening, only starters get to introduce themselves. Jeff Thomas might get a chance to do that in the preseason game one. But he will never start a game in the nfl after that. If he thought mark richt, Ron dugans, and Manny Diaz were too tough he's got a rude awakening coming in the nfl. Plus I will be shocked if he isn't suspended at combine drug testing.

4.37-4.40. He has elite speed in the 40 yard dash

Maybe. It was 4.38 out of high school to lead the Class of 2016 receiver crop. But somewhere along the line Thomas seemed to lose some of that pop and also some of the short area quickness and elusiveness. We'll see if it shows again when his pro employment is on the line.

Thomas isn't competitive enough. That is what will cause him to drop. He tends to drift and wait for the ball instead of attacking it. The NFL is gradually beginning to realize that receiver versus cornerback is the closest thing to 12 rounds of boxing. Stride for stride and face to face all game long. You won this round but I'll take the next one. It is the reason for such famous clashes as Andre Johnson versus Courtland Finnegan and Odell Beckham versus Josh Norman. The 49ers rookie Deebo Samuel is merely the latest example that competitiveness is the most vital trait at wide receiver, far beyond any measurable.

Advertisement
If Finley doesn’t get invited to the NFL combine it will be more evidence to how terrible the Striker position is. Wasted his career playing a pointless position that doesn’t exist in the NFL

It amazes me how many people sound off in here, and don't really no what they are talking about. Striker is just a name. Its usually a safety with a bit more size who can play in the box, or cover TE's, or play in coverage as needed. If anything, Finley's stock went up as he was able to make a lot of plays in the run game and short passing game, and never had the speed to play in deep coverage.

To get the best players on the field next year, Bolden & Hall should be the safeties, Amari Carter & gilbert Frierson the striker. amari can also sub the safety spot.

Invited so far
Osborn
Thomas
Dallas
Hill

haven’t seen them post it yet but I expect For these guys to get an invite too.
Bandy
Quarterman
Pinckney
Garvin

I hope Finley gets one but I’m not sure
Everyone got invited that was expected. only guy who didn’t who could have but wasn’t guaranteed was Finley. Miami leads the ACC in combine invites
FA20E1B3-8F9F-45D5-8B8E-A2EF3159C221.jpeg

If Finley doesn’t get invited to the NFL combine it will be more evidence to how terrible the Striker position is. Wasted his career playing a pointless position that doesn’t exist in the NFL

Didn't he man people up in the slot? Isn't that the holy grail of coverage? Anything past that is coachable, I feel.

Advertisement
4.37-4.40. He has elite speed in the 40 yard dash
Gonna kill it....as I said a week ago....
Why bother going all out for a college program, especially when he's shown he possesses above average playing ability? Malik Rosier benefited from the pass & designed running plays called for him until other teams had enough scouting film. Whatever team has him on their roster has to be careful what routes he runs & the amount of snaps as he's on the smaller size, even for slot receivers.

Mark Richt took advantage of a experienced Brad Kaaya. Brad Kaaya made most preseason mock drafts as a potential 1st round prospect; Too many fans forget that maintaining a high level of play at QB is difficult when transitioning to the next league. Malik Rosier was a late find for Miami that Mark Richt was able to find the best type of scheme for Miami.

"More of a rant."
Justin Fields was considered the best overall high school QB but at Georgia, there were reports the practice squad players performed better then him. Both by remembering the playbook, and performance in the actual games.. But at osu he all of a sudden is one of the best in the entire ncaa; Jim Harbaugh has shown he knows how to coach & win at Standford. The 49ers defense was always top 5, per yards per game / always in the top 10, for points per game; All with outdated roster & game day restrictions.

Justin Fields, and the whole osu football program are allowed to cheat, its rarely reported but; Urban Meyer with the Gators was known to allow his players to miss classes plus a toxic locker room, then has a supposed heart condition after he bolts.. Of course osu welcomes him with open arms and millions of dollars. All after they needed a zebra & phony pass interference penalty in overtime of the 2002 fiesta bowl aka B.S.

nah the striker position isn’t a package it’s our base defense which is the problem. Finley has no real work at the safety position. If the striker position was a sub package than he would have tape of him playing safety then rotating to striker when needed. And the striker would be a position with more impact.

The position not only does players playing the position a disservice, it also puts too much stress on the only two LBers that have to make up for having one less lber on the field every down.
So your position is that our D would have been better last year if Finley had been off the field for most sets and we had McCloud in as a 3rd LB instead? I don't agree with that at all.

Advertisement
nah the striker position isn’t a package it’s our base defense which is the problem. Finley has no real work at the safety position. If the striker position was a sub package than he would have tape of him playing safety then rotating to striker when needed. And the striker would be a position with more impact.

The position not only does players playing the position a disservice, it also puts too much stress on the only two LBers that have to make up for having one less lber on the field every down.
Well, at least we know who doesn't know football on here.

The striker position is a positive not a disservice. Shows the versatility a Safety can bring in both run support and pass coverage.

The "puts too much stress on the LB's" was a good laugh though. Needed that.

Why bother going all out for a college program, especially when he's shown he possesses above average playing ability? Malik Rosier benefited from the pass & designed running plays called for him until other teams had enough scouting film. Whatever team has him on their roster has to be careful what routes he runs & the amount of snaps as he's on the smaller size, even for slot receivers.

Mark Richt took advantage of a experienced Brad Kaaya. Brad Kaaya made most preseason mock drafts as a potential 1st round prospect;

Malik Rosier was a late find for Miami that Mark Richt was able to find the best type of scheme for Miami.

"More of a rant."
Justin Fields was considered the best overall high school QB but at Georgia, there were reports the practice squad players performed better then him. Both by remembering the playbook, and performance in the actual games.. But at osu he all of a sudden is one of the best in the entire ncaa; Jim Harbaugh has shown he knows how to coach & win at Standford. The 49ers defense was always top 5, per yards per game / always in the top 10, for points per game; All with outdated roster & game day restrictions.

Justin Fields, and the whole osu football program are allowed to cheat, its rarely reported but; Urban Meyer with the Gators was known to allow his players to miss classes plus a toxic locker room, then has a supposed heart condition after he bolts.. Of course osu welcomes him with open arms and millions of dollars. All after they needed a zebra & phony pass interference penalty in overtime of the 2002 fiesta bowl aka B.S.

“maintaining a high level of play at QB is difficult when transitioning to the next league.”

Dude, our QBs have been finding it difficult to maintain a high level of play when transitioning to the next play, let alone level of competition.

Well, at least we know who doesn't know football on here.

The striker position is a positive not a disservice. Shows the versatility a Safety can bring in both run support and pass coverage.

The "puts too much stress on the LB's" was a good laugh though. Needed that.

The striker position is trash and does a disservice to the defense as a whole, the player playing the position, and the two LBers having to make up for a player that is never in place to assist in run support. Never in place to assist in pass coverage either unless it’s a screen.

Advertisement
“maintaining a high level of play at QB is difficult when transitioning to the next league.”

Dude, our QBs have been finding it difficult to maintain a high level of play when transitioning to the next play, let alone level of competition.
I guess I should have typed, the same can be said for high school players to major division one too.

Kyle Wright was the highest rated QB when Miami signed him out of high school. Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, Johnny Manziel, and Patrick Maholmes were all middle of the pack when it came to be high school recruiters.

Khalil Mack was barely rated when he was in high school, so he played for Buffalo in college as I don't think any division one team recruited him; He's one of the best defensive ends/pass rushers in the NFL.

I guess I should have typed, the same can be said for high school players to major division one too.

Kyle Wright was the highest rated QB when Miami signed him out of high school. Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, Johnny Manziel, and Patrick Maholmes were all middle of the pack when it came to be high school recruiters.

Khalil Mack was barely rated when he was in high school, so he played for Buffalo in college as I don't think any division one team recruited him; He's one of the best defensive ends/pass rushers in the NFL.

Well These kids can’t go from high school to college and succeed without good coaching.

Well These kids can’t go from high school to college and succeed without good coaching.
You should apply for a coaching position with Miami; If all it takes is good coaching.

"Gems and Busts" applies to more then just the NFL draft nerds.

Advertisement
Back