Miami herald buzz 11-10

brock

All-American
A UM official who was close with former president Donna Shalala said it was obvious speaking to her that she felt strongly that Butch Davis should not be considered if the UM job opened. But with Shalala now working at the Clinton Foundation, UM has been taking a fresh look at Davis, examining the circumstances that led to his firing at North Carolina and evaluating his viability as a candidate, according to multiple sources.

“He hasn’t been written off; he’s among people given initial consideration,” one UM official said, noting Davis will be given more scrutiny.

Davis, who led UM to a 51-20 record from 1995 through 2000, badly wants the job and has strong support among fans and a few notable Board of Trustee members.

“There’s pressure being placed by the public and some of the Trustees to hire him,” one high-level Trustee said.

But another trustee who likes Davis said athletic director Blake James “isn’t going to be swayed by anyone from doing what he thinks is best. There are an awful lot of people who want this job.”

As one UM person said, James knows he has Davis available if other potentially more appealing options do not materialize or do not prove to be a good fit.

A Davis hire would surprise (but not shock) some at UM, but the Davis supporters can take comfort in knowing that UM is taking a hard look at him. So he's certainly a possibility, as are more than a dozen others. There's no favorite because it's still very early in the process.

Citing harm to its reputation, North Carolina fired Davis on July 27, 2011, following an academic fraud scandal that covered 18 years and multiple sports.

Davis was never implicated and has said he has a letter from the NCAA indicating that. The NCAA found UNC guilty of academic fraud and failure to monitor the football program and was docked with a 2012 postseason ban and 15 scholarship reductions.

In a statement on the day of Davis’ firing, UNC chancellor Holden Thorp said that while there had been no changes against Davis in the NCAA investigation, Thorp had "lost confidence in our ability to come through this without harming the way people think of this institution."

UM was expected to research that case, as well as the 2010 resignation of Davis’ defensive line coach and assistant head coach John Blake; the NCAA said Blake was paid by now-deceased agent Gary Wichard, to whom Blake referred players.

Davis, 63, wasn’t implicated in that scandal, either, but no school has hired Davis since he was fired in 2011.

UM is believed to have contacted the NCAA for more information on Davis.

Said one high-level trustee who supports Davis: “Besides being a great recruiter, Butch can bring people into the stadium and that has to be something we consider. And Butch was cleared at North Carolina. Why does this tarnish him?”

But UM will make its own conclusion after reviewing the case.

### Though public denials would be expected, UM people are under the impression that Texas’ Charlie Strong and Cincinnati’s Tommy Tuberville have interest in the UM job.

Strong is considered an appealing candidate if he and Texas part ways, but that likely wouldn’t happen until after the Longhorn’s regular-season finale Dec. 5.

### Footballscoop.com reported there have been conversations between reps for UM and Mario Cristobal, but that is not the case, according to a coaching friend of Cristobal.

Cristobal, Greg Schiano and Rob Chudzinski, among others, remain in the mix, however. A UM official said a bunch of additional candidates, including perhaps some surprises, are expected to surface because this will be a true national search with inquiries made to some perceived to be out of reach. But there is no front-runner at this point.

### Former Alabama coach Mike Shula, who had support among some UM trustees, has conveyed to friends that he wants to remain in the NFL (he’s the Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator) and won’t pursue the UM job, an associate said last week.

### During the last UM football coaching search, highly-respected Trustee Paul DiMare attended coaching interviews with then-athletic director Kirby Hocutt.

Beyond DiMare, Stuart Miller, chairman of the Board of Trustees and the mortgage giant Lennar Corp., is expected to be involved. The Miller family and his company have donated $271 million to UM over the years and he wields considerable influence.

Shalala.... I knew it man. I'm glad her A$$ is gone....
I wonder who are the coaches they are talking about-
" Cristobal, Greg Schiano and Rob Chudzinski, among others, remain in the mix, however. A UM official said a bunch of additional candidates, including perhaps some surprises, are expected to surface because this will be a true national search with inquiries made to some perceived to be out of reach. But there is no front-runner at this point. "

Last edited:
Advertisement
### Footballscoop.com reported there have been conversations between reps for UM and Mario Cristobal, but that is not the case, according to a coaching friend of Cristobal.

nashville-deacon-whew-o.gif

yTG0R.gif

Wait a sec who the **** is Footballscoop.com?

Advertisement
Seems like they are taking this seriously. All you can ask for. National search, not leaving any stone unturned, exploring all options. Sounds good to me.

If they hire any of those guys over Butch, that's it. We should all boycott the games.

If we're not hiring Butch, please let it be Chip Kelly, Chuck Pagano, Tom Herman or Gary Patterson.

To **** with with Donna thinks.

So Butch is the human life preserver ? I'm ok with that, just do a quality search

Advertisement
We can do much worse than Butch, Strong, Tubberville, Schiano, or Chud. Cristobal or Shula would be program ending hires IMO. We should also consider Herman, Fuuente, and the Toledo coach as well since they all do more with less.

Sources, hahahaha. Also Paul DiMare is a ****. Who respects him?

Barry Jackson is the only guy in the mainstream media getting real Miami info.

And Paul DiMare is a tycoon who cares deeply about Miami football. He has my respect and the respect of anyone paying attention.

And Paul DiMare is a tycoon who cares deeply about Miami football. He has my respect and the respect of anyone paying attention.

Who do you think are the surprise coaches they are talking about? Pete also tweeted this earlier
[MENTION=4648]Pete[/MENTION]rAriz: I'm confident that whoever Miami's next head coach is will assemble a "mega staff". A lot more interest than you would expect. #Canes

Forgive my ignorance from way up here, but is Jackson the one who wrote this?

Advertisement
All of these "sources" are just taking advantage of the situation to get some pub. Been hearing the only thing consistent which is Butch is really, REALLY on the radar. That's been the only consistent storyline. I truly have a feeling that Butch will be the guy....way, WAY too much smoke.

And regarding Shalala...F her!

Yes. He is the only beat writer who actually gets accurate inside info.

All of these "sources" are just taking advantage of the situation to get some pub. Been hearing the only thing consistent which is Butch is really, REALLY on the radar. That's been the only consistent storyline. I truly have a feeling that Butch will be the guy....way, WAY too much smoke.

Remember in her words, " this is the new Miami" she is the main catalyst of why things have not been in order with Miami football over the past decade.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Yes. He is the only beat writer who actually gets accurate inside info.

Thanks for the info..

Remember in her words, " this is the new Miami" she is the main catalyst of why things have been in order with Miami football over the past decade.

True. Worst thing that ever happened to Miami, in general. No surprise that now that she's gone, things are starting to move

Shalala disapproves... What's not to like?

She should have made all her football decisions like George Costanza's opposite day. Every football instinct Donna had was wrong, so the opposite decision would have been right.

Advertisement
Back