Miami/Fsu Game Thread 1/17/24

Rebounding is more want to than anything. I can teach a 7 footer that has a good work ethic to box out. What I can’t do and apparently L and his staff can’t do either, is teach post moves on the offensive side.
Footwork is the key to acquiring and improving good post moves. Haven't had the opportunity to catch Nwoko's footwork but I would hope/expect that was part of evaluating him. As you say, boxing out and rebounding would be a great start.

As for 7 footers (which Nwoko is not), the list of players at that height in college who never amounted to anything is, I'm sure, well into the hundreds.

Advertisement
Advertisement
What we lost in Walker and Beverly was not so much in the box score, but they were veteran guys, who were good in the lockeroom and others looked up to them. Obviously we lost everything Miller and Wong gave us, but don't count out leadership and veteran presence.

They going to improve to make a run in the NIT? After last night we are on the outside looking in for the NCAA tournament. Schedule isn't going to be easy, 2 with UNC, Duke, @Clemson, @FSU, @UVA. 14 games left. I'm so disappointed in this team.

I keep hoping for some improvement, and now we are 17 games in.
Crazy how many people are running for the exits, when we all know that this season isn't beyond repair. I think a lot of people came in with unrealistic expectations, and now they we've reached the dog days of the season, there have been a couple of frustrating losses, people are moping around. Let's be honest, this team is a legit rim out from beating a blazing hot Wake on the road, having a complete and utter collapse in regards to FTs from beating Louisville and FSU. That's with three of the four best players on a depth challenged roster battling nagging injuries. Yes, the pieces haven't fit nearly as neatly as last year, but we've seen flashes of what this team CAN be, the question is whether this team can get on the same page.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: A lot of us underestimated the contribution of Wong and Miller, and thought that just because Wooga and Cleveland were going to be able to replace their scoring output, that this team would be a mere continuation of last year. That isn't the case. This team is still figuring out how to play together, especially Cleveland. Cleveland needs to be more assertive when he is rolling, but I don't believe that's his personality. Jordan is mellow too, but when things got tough, he would be the first one to say "Guys, I got the matchup, let me cook". This team is on the edge, but when you have a team that can score like this team can, there isn't a game remaining that I can say "This team doesn't stand a chance". Keep in mind, last year's team had a stretch relatively early in conference play where they couldn't get traction, losing a couple of games that honestly, they shouldn't have. Let the season play out, go from there.

Advertisement
Back