Miami/Fsu Game Thread 1/17/24

I really hate to hear Coach L complain about size like he's a rookie coach and had never heard of this phenomenon before. Size has been an advantage since before I was born.

Either coach L cannot recruit, refuses to recruit or cannot develop big men. Despite what is usually amazing coaching he will never get past a certain level of play with a short team.

And also with a shallow team. FSU was shuttling 3 or 4 guys every time while from 7-10 we don't even have an ACC player. He's going to have to fill his roster out with players. Going 6 deep just won't get it this season or ny season.

With that said, we were still within striking distance near the end.

Missed free throws, turn overs to make you turn of the tv and just flat out not putting a body on a body killed us.

We're still a tournament team but we're not likely to finish top 5 in the ACC this year.

Advertisement
Bensley Joseph is out of control more than he's in control. Better guard options would restrict Joseph to bench when he's playing crazy out there. Felt like Coach L's hands were tied because we don't have any other guards.

What happened to Watson?

George is starting to get attention so his shots are going to be harder to come by. He's adjusting.

Wooga isn't a lottery pick from a skill standpoint. He's first round athletic and quick with a nice first step and sharp pull up jumper. He's missing something though.

Cleveland was the biggest disppointment for me. I knew that he could have a rough game against his old team, I also knew that he could have gone off on them. This was a game where it totally went against us.

Thats my whole rant. 😶

I really hate to hear Coach L complain about size like he's a rookie coach and had never heard of this phenomenon before. Size has been an advantage since before I was born.

Either coach L cannot recruit, refuses to recruit or cannot develop big men. Despite what is usually amazing coaching he will never get past a certain level of play with a short team.

And also with a shallow team. FSU was shuttling 3 or 4 guys every time while from 7-10 we don't even have an ACC player. He's going to have to fill his roster out with players. Going 6 deep just won't get it this season or ny season.

With that said, we were still within striking distance near the end.

Missed free throws, turn overs to make you turn of the tv and just flat out not putting a body on a body killed us.

We're still a tournament team but we're not likely to finish top 5 in the ACC this year.
We need to recruit more slashers and guys who can create their own shot and drive. Not just jump shooters. Wooga is limited to basically a jump shooter. We are not a good defensive team or a good ball handling team this year. The effort is just not there on D. Our FT shooting and TO's killed us and cost us the game last night.

We definitely need to recruit more size asap. This is not negotiable.

One other point, Wong and Miller were two of the best players to ever come through Miami in a long time. We probably underestimated their value some and are finding out just how important they were to the team. We don't make the final four last year without them.

One other point, Wong and Miller were two of the best players to ever come through Miami in a long time. We probably underestimated their value some and are finding out just how important they were to the team. We don't make the final four last year without them.
Miller had a good inside game and really suplemented Omier. His replacement(Cleveland) has a different game. He's still impactful but his outside play leaves Omier alone inside a lot.

Advertisement
He’s played some good defense and has gotten better on the boards. He also moves the ball on offense. And we need his length.
Watson's second year in the program. He's behind schedule to me. I'd like to hear a candid evaluation by L on both Casey and Watson. I know I'll never hear that but would love to hear what L sees as both these players' ceilings, and what specifically is holding them back. Very possible that this (what we see) just might be it!

Jakai, as a third year man, I've written off to the Portal. He can play somewhere I'm sure.

Nwoko, as a true frosh, it's too early to tell what we have there. He never "lit it up" offensively at any of the three Prep Schools he attended so I'm not surprised his offense is non-existent; I am surprised he can't do more defensively and on the boards.

He needs a big leap forward before next season begins. Given his size, he'll have a longer rope in terms of coaches' patience. Bigs always develop more slowly.

It’s not all dead weight. It’s all potential that has yet, and might not ever, be realized.

I will once again welcome the hate for saying this. L and his staff cant develop bigs.
Jekiri and Izundu would argue with that. Although, it did take them awhile.

Tonye took about 2 years befoe he was really playable. He was more athletic and had better hands than Nwoko from day 1. I agree with you though. I'll reserve any judgement on Nwoko until next year. But he's got a long way to go just to be playable.

He looks nervous out there.

Advertisement
Biggest issue to me is we’re a team of jump shooters. Wooga isn’t driving to the rim and Matt is a completely different player than Miller.

That and the fact we lack court chemistry. Looks like the players are a group of individuals instead of a team. Tbh, I even think Omier has his eyes on the league instead of the court. He didn’t last year.

I still can’t wrap my head around the ultra hard hedging we’ve seen over the last few games with limited to no adjustment even though we’re giving up easy buckets off of it every time Norchad hedges that hard.

Is Norchad freelancing? Is our defensive rotation that bad that we can’t rotate to help Norchad out when he does hedge that hard? If the staff is coaching this I need to understand why given how valuable Norchad is if not in foul trouble and how terrible our overall defense is but yet making our guys rotate hard after the hard hedge.

So many questions this year

angry walt disney GIF

FSU just Completely owns us in basketball.

That 11 out of 12 now? Lost to them last year at home when they were pathetic.

At some point we need to switch to a zone just to try something different make opposing teams see a different picture. We are a bad man to man defensive team. We don't switch and rotate well.

It couldn't hurt maybe make FSU settle for more jump shots when they aren't a great jump shooting team.

Advertisement
Why do big men struggle to catch basketballs so much? I totally understand them being slow footed and not being able to dribble but they can't catch too?

Izundu was playable for one year. A 6’10 guy that averaged single digit points and single digit rebounds for his career is not proof of anything positive.

Jekiri was fine but took multiple years to be playable. There was nothing special about him. He never averaged double digit points in a season. He turned into a good defender and rebounder mostly bc he was 7 ft tall.

Advertisement
Izundu was playable for one year. A 6’10 guy that averaged single digit points and single digit rebounds for his career is not proof of anything positive.

Jekiri was fine but took multiple years to be playable. There was nothing special about him. He never averaged double digit points in a season. He turned into a good defender and rebounder mostly bc he was 7 ft tall.
Tonye led the ACC in rebounding as a Senior. That's no small feat for a guy who initially looked like Nwoko does now. Being 7' tall doesn't automatically get you anywhere near that level of production.

Another loss. What started out promising now looks not so much.

This team just isn’t as good as many thought.

I still say there’s something else going going on. Guys seem more interested in auditioning for the league than playing for L.
Hey, let’s create some narratives out of thin air. Dudes aren’t making FTs and having defensive lapses. How is that auditioning for the league? There is a lot that goes into a team succeeding, intangibles matter. Wong and Miller brought something that this team is lacking right now. I also think this team was a bit more tighter knit last year. Sometimes pieces don’t fit nearly as well as anticipated. That said, this team can and should improve, hopefully key pieces can get healthy. That’s a huge part of this.

Hey, let’s create some narratives out of thin air. Dudes aren’t making FTs and having defensive lapses. How is that auditioning for the league? There is a lot that goes into a team succeeding, intangibles matter. Wong and Miller brought something that this team is lacking right now. I also think this team was a bit more tighter knit last year. Sometimes pieces don’t fit nearly as well as anticipated. That said, this team can and should improve, hopefully key pieces can get healthy. That’s a huge part of this.
They going to improve to make a run in the NIT? After last night we are on the outside looking in for the NCAA tournament. Schedule isn't going to be easy, 2 with UNC, Duke, @Clemson, @FSU, @UVA. 14 games left. I'm so disappointed in this team.

I keep hoping for some improvement, and now we are 17 games in.

Tonye led the ACC in rebounding as a Senior. That's no small feat for a guy who initially looked like Nwoko does now. Being 7' tall doesn't automatically get you anywhere near that level of production.
Rebounding is more want to than anything. I can teach a 7 footer that has a good work ethic to box out. What I can’t do and apparently L and his staff can’t do either, is teach post moves on the offensive side.

Advertisement
Back