Miami football projected 8-4

I don’t take many of these seriously unless they acknowledge what went wrong last year(offense being historically terrible) and the steps that were taken place to fix it. So a guy like phill steele who looks at EVERYTHING, I put More credible in things like that honestly.
What about what went wrong the year before that? Or the one before that? We have been better than 8-4 how many times in the past 15 seasons?

8-4 is a fair prediction. Manny has to deliver for anyone other than a fan to expect better.

Advertisement
just the worst of all-time...

I'm sayin', man.

I'll admit, I gave Richt the benefit of the doubt early on, but we went from having a QB coach who'd struggle to be a grad assistant at most major power 5 programs to Enos, who worked for Saban at, forgive me THE P5 program of the decade.

That's gotta be 2 wins alone.

I'm sayin', man.

I'll admit, I gave Richt the benefit of the doubt early on, but we went from having a QB coach who'd struggle to be a grad assistant at most major power 5 programs to Enos, who worked for Saban at, forgive me THE P5 program of the decade.

That's gotta be 2 wins alone.

It will be interesting to see where Jon Richt's coaching arc goes from this point on. I mean, he was so unqualified, lol

Advertisement
It will be interesting to see where Jon Richt's coaching arc goes from this point on. I mean, he was so unqualified, lol

I will tell you what gives me hope for Diaz, and was also my final straw with Richt:

Banda and Patke are his guys, but when Diaz took the reins he still went out and got a coordinator with play-calling experience. His predecessor was content to elevate two guys who, forgive me for saying, are even a stretch for a position coach at this level. They may have big futures ahead of of them, but they weren't set to be coordinators at a place like Miami. Thank G-d Mark did the right thing and stepped aside.

I will tell you what gives me hope for Diaz, and was also my final straw with Richt:

Banda and Patke are his guys, but when Diaz took the reins he still went out and got a coordinator with play-calling experience. His predecessor was content to elevate two guys who, forgive me for saying, are even a stretch for a position coach at this level. They may have big futures ahead of of them, but they weren't set to be coordinators at a place like Miami. Thank G-d Mark did the right thing and stepped aside.

I loved how Manny spared nobody on the offensive side of the staff, regardless of their recruiting prowess. He knew a clean break was needed

Having Richt around was a form of probation. Could you imagine our mood if he was still our coach? Sheeesh....

Mark was asleep at the wheel worse than Coker. Something wasn’t right with him mentally. He has to be going through something with his health because his decision making was awful.

Advertisement
There are 27 new Head Coaches this Fall. Athlon ranks Manny as #15 with these comments: Diaz would have been a good get for Temple but seems to be a reach for Miami. He's never been a HC on any level and UM is not in position to "miss" on yet another hire. This feels like a gamble Miami didn't have to take.

The 14 "new" Head Coaches ranked above Manny (1-14): Satterfield (Louisville), Brown (WVU), Klieman (K State), Wells (Texas Tech), Holgorson (Houston), Collins GT), Healy (Charlotte), Houston (ECU), Day (Ohio St), Freeze (Liberty), Andersen (Utah St), Carey (Temple), Chadwell (Coastal Carolina), and McElwain (CMU).

Clearly, they don't think highly of our man Manny at all.

The 12 new HCs below Manny in this ranking (16-27) are: Lindsay (Troy), Drinkwitz (App St), Helton (Western Ky), Miles (Kansas), Brown (UNC), Tucker (Colorado), Locksley (Maryland), Arth (Akron), Bell (UMass), Spavital (Tex St), Hammock (NIU), and Loeffler (BGSU).

What about what went wrong the year before that? Or the one before that? We have been better than 8-4 how many times in the past 15 seasons?

8-4 is a fair prediction. Manny has to deliver for anyone other than a fan to expect better.

8-4 may be a fair prediction from a national publication with limited insight into the program. A lot of that is based on expectations that we ourselves created based on recent seasons. For the same reason, when the slide began under Coker some of our rankings were overly generous. After our run from 2000 to 2003, we got the benefit of doubt.

But 8-4 is only 1 win better than last year. It's not a stretch to think we could do better. How much better … that's why they play the games.

8-4 may be a fair prediction from a national publication with limited insight into the program. A lot of that is based on expectations that we ourselves created based on recent seasons. For the same reason, when the slide began under Coker some of our rankings were overly generous. After our run from 2000 to 2003, we got the benefit of doubt.

But 8-4 is only 1 win better than last year. It's not a stretch to think we could do better. How much better … that's why they play the games.
’Not a stretch’ isn’t the same as baseline expectation. I never said it was a ‘stretch’ to think we ‘could’ do better. Given our past 15 years we could do worse, too. Richt won a lot of games in the SEC and stunk it up here. Manny has never coached a game at this level.

I expect better, but fans’ expectations and hopes are not the same as rational probabilities.

Advertisement
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. @canesthing3 is spot on. People are setting themselves up for disappointment. It wouldn't be Miami if we weren't gassing up the next banner plane.

Jimmy lost 5 games his first season and you can’t tell me we had less talent than 5 other teams. Two things are happening here. First fans over rate our talent forgetting in the last four years we’ve had to filler classes during coach transitions. Second, fans think football is played on paper and the other team doesn’t try to win if they’re less talented

Advertisement
’Not a stretch’ isn’t the same as baseline expectation. I never said it was a ‘stretch’ to think we ‘could’ do better. Given our past 15 years we could do worse, too. Richt won a lot of games in the SEC and stunk it up here. Manny has never coached a game at this level.

I expect better, but fans’ expectations and hopes are not the same as rational probabilities.

I didn't mean to imply you thought it was a stretch. And I agree, there are a lot of unknows heading into the season: Manny first time head coach, new offensive system, who's the QB, who's the LT. And I'm someone that did a face palm when Manny was hired as head coach. I thought it was a Blake James panic move.

But I've been watching him. That beer party he staged in Orlando at FSU's event. His intervention with Richt at the end of the FSU game to ice it. Bringing in two coordinators who have experience preparing game plans and calling plays. His use of the portal and approach to recruiting. He's got balls and won't coach scared. Nobody knows how he'll be as a HC but he strikes me as one mentally tough SOB. If the team take on his demeanor (which Richt's, Golden's, Shannon's, and Coker's teams lacked), it makes me cautiously optimistic.

I didn't mean to imply you thought it was a stretch. And I agree, there are a lot of unknows heading into the season: Manny first time head coach, new offensive system, who's the QB, who's the LT. And I'm someone that did a face palm when Manny was hired as head coach. I thought it was a Blake James panic move.

But I've been watching him. That beer party he staged in Orlando at FSU's event. His intervention with Richt at the end of the FSU game to ice it. Bringing in two coordinators who have experience preparing game plans and calling plays. His use of the portal and approach to recruiting. He's got balls and won't coach scared. Nobody knows how he'll be as a HC but he strikes me as one mentally tough SOB. If the team take on his demeanor (which Richt's, Golden's, Shannon's, and Coker's teams lacked), it makes me cautiously optimistic.
I am cautiously optimistic also. But I am a fan. Rationally, our program has stunk for ages. No reason to expect magic.

Last edited:
Jimmy lost 5 games … blah, blah, blah. Silly comparison

Miami led the season off by beating number one Auburn as #10 ranked team. Then beat #17 Florida. Then lost to #14 Michigan (Harbaugh QB). Then beat a Purdue team (Jim Everett, QB, top-3 pick iirc) that would beat Independent Indiana Team which was ranked within the top five at the time. Then lost to Florida state which was ranked number 15. Miami played 9 games before the bye. Lost to Maryland and Super Bowl QB, Reich and lost to BC and Heisman winner Flutie and lost to another Super Bowl QB of UCLA, Bono.

Miami played a schedule from ****, not the Minnie Mouse Coastal. There’s not a single QB that Miami plays this year that could play in Canada, much less the NFL. Jimmie played talented teams weekly.

Make up all the excuses for trying to be the detached, supposed voice of reason, but you’re missing the bigger picture and that is Diaz has a much easier road coaching a team where he already knew 95% percent of the players the day he took the job.

Dude you can look at almost every great coach in history all of them lost games they shouldn’t during their first season. Miami has won ten games once in 17 years but yeah they’re going to dominate and that’s realistic

Advertisement
Back