Miami Flo's Predictions

Interesting note on Jones

Not sure I saw anymore more impressive than the group of Stone, Breland, and Jones when following all those DTs last year. His ranking was pretty bizarre.
Jones' athletic ceiling is insane. Strong as an ox but moves like a linebacker. If he learns even slightly above average technique he'll be a star.

Advertisement
Jones' athletic ceiling is insane. Strong as an ox but moves like a linebacker. If he learns even slightly above average technique he'll be a star.
It was just strange there was basically nothing really posted about him senior year but basketball highlights so it’s been tough to really get a gauge

He had wrapped up his commitment though so no real need to market himself

Info from the from the second half of the April 19, 2024 show:

Predictions

• Something strange would have to happen for Martinez not to be a Cane
  • JoJo will end up the best WR at Miami in the last two decades
  • Jones will end up the highest draft pick of all the DL in the last recruiting class. He's special.
Comments

• Two recruits on deck, could commit at any point just doesn't know the exact day
  • Expects good news on Sunday
  • There is a reason Miami publicly leaked that they did an onsite visit w/Martinez

Did we get the good news on Sunday? If so, what was it?

Did we get the good news on Sunday? If so, what was it?
you can save a bunch of money on Geico?

You Can Do It GIF by GEICO

Advertisement
While I understand the NIL vs production concern I also know that OL is not generally a position where you just waltz into playing time at the P4 level as soon as you get into school no matter how high you were rated. Are there exceptions? Yes of course there are and Francis Mauigoa is a prime example of that but kids like Francis are outliers. Most of the time a young OL needs at least 2 years of S&C and coaching to properly develop and become ready to contribute at this level.

With that in mind, P4 head coaches should know that with highly rated OL that they can expect a significant disparity between NIL $ paid out vs production early in the players career with a return on investment starting to manifest in the redshirt sophomore through senior years generally.

I am sure people smarter than I am are drafting these agreements but the issue I see with that approach is say you offer a OL big bucks to commit to you knowing exactly what you said, likely see the field in a year or two, then a year or two passes, he plays has a solid year then another school tries to tamper, well now you cant exactly say "look we paid you 500k last year and you didnt play, we are agreeing to pay you 500k this year for a total investment of a million, but we cant match the other team willing to pay you 750k" then the kid bounces for the extra cash. Other positions I agree it is easier to break into the game at a younger age, OL is a grown man game. Just hard to balance the upfront cost knowing if he turns out good you likely need to renegotiate in a few years.

-Don't be shocked if Miami takes 2 big time guys at the same position in the portal. Said he will not tell the position. Says that this is the current plan and if it happens he will begin telling some lies. He currently has us as a 9 win team.

I did a quick search, did ANYONE guess two impact DTs from the portal this cycle? As of now, this seems the position most likely to land two impact players. I see guesses on RB, WR, CB, but no DT

Advertisement
I am sure people smarter than I am are drafting these agreements but the issue I see with that approach is say you offer a OL big bucks to commit to you knowing exactly what you said, likely see the field in a year or two, then a year or two passes, he plays has a solid year then another school tries to tamper, well now you cant exactly say "look we paid you 500k last year and you didnt play, we are agreeing to pay you 500k this year for a total investment of a million, but we cant match the other team willing to pay you 750k" then the kid bounces for the extra cash. Other positions I agree it is easier to break into the game at a younger age, OL is a grown man game. Just hard to balance the upfront cost knowing if he turns out good you likely need to renegotiate in a few years.
I’ve definitely been curious if these are like pro contracts with incentive based bonuses and whatnot

I’m sure they are

I did a quick search, did ANYONE guess two impact DTs from the portal this cycle? As of now, this seems the position most likely to land two impact players. I see guesses on RB, WR, CB, but no DT

No I dont think anyone had two impact guys at DT on their bingo card. This was also when we still had JHH in the fold and I think people were wanting/expecting one starter level DT then perhaps a depth guy. I would say the two DTs (if the names mentioned) are true would qualify. But I also think if we get Martinez and dude from CO as the two RB that could suffice, and if we pair Sam Brown (WR) with another big guy but doesnt look like anyone else is jumping in at this point, same with CB, just dont see two big impact guys at this point.

I’ve definitely been curious if these are like pro contracts with incentive based bonuses and whatnot

I’m sure they are
I actually know the guy who handles a lot of the legalities for the TN NIL collective. From what I have gathered they do not put incentives directly in the NIL but leave the door open for "discretionary" payments or bonuses and that is more of the handshake deal.

Way it was explained was like you are working as a mechanic, with an employment contract that allows for a base salary and bonuses and at the end of the year the shop decided to give you a Christmas bonus. It is not really tied to a formula or performance or anything, just a "hey we appreciate you and keep up the good work"

Advertisement
I actually know the guy who handles a lot of the legalities for the TN NIL collective. From what I have gathered they do not put incentives directly in the NIL but leave the door open for "discretionary" payments or bonuses and that is more of the handshake deal.

Way it was explained was like you are working as a mechanic, with an employment contract that allows for a base salary and bonuses and at the end of the year the shop decided to give you a Christmas bonus. It is not really tied to a formula or performance or anything, just a "hey we appreciate you and keep up the good work"
Makes sense

Also will say that the vibe I have gotten from people with intimate NIL knowledge around the country is that it’s a work in progress as well

Feels like people are in a bit of a catch up mode in all aspects from the players to the people involved with negotiations

Makes sense I guess

Advertisement
In regards to Samson, he is in no way earning his NIL at the moment(If he is making alot). I thought he looked eh last spring, and not sure he looked that much better this spring at T.

I posted this in another thread, but he seems like a straight line athlete, struggles to move laterally, little stiff.

I dont think he starts this year. Maybe rotates at LG with McCoy.
You do realize he's coming off an injury right?

Seeing a lot of predictions but no signings which makes the predictions guesses…

Advertisement
Back