Miami fans…lemme ask yall this (no trolling)

Advertisement
before his injury. He was a real beast coming in at over 240. Fast before the injury. Seemed like a different player.
He was so good in HS, I don't know where to begin. Soldinger has always maintained that he was the best of the group of RBs we had (Pre-Injury) that tells ya all ya need to know.

Advertisement
He was so good in HS, I don't know where to begin. Soldinger has always maintained that he was the best of the group of RBs we had (Pre-Injury) that tells ya all ya need to know.
6'2" 245 pounds and was timed at 4.39 in the 40 with a vertical leap of 33 inches. 11.02 100 meter and All Dade country track team. He was big and fast. A bad ACL injury ruined his career. Davenport is basically the same size and speed as Derrick Henry and in high school went up against probably the toughest teams in the country. Henry ran a 11.11 100 meter.

Played for Miami Central and rushed for 1,098 yards and 15 touchdowns in just five games his senior year. Miami Herald All-Dade selection, preseason Reebok All-American. Rushed for 200 yards or more four times his senior season, played in the prestigious Florida-Georgia All-Star game. Tallied 622 yards and seven touchdowns on 100 carries his junior year. Selected to All-Dade County track team...named Butch Davis football camp MVP...coached by Roger Coffey.

6'2" 245 pounds and was timed at 4.39 in the 40 with a vertical leap of 33 inches. 11.02 100 meter and All Dade country track team. He was big and fast. A bad ACL injury ruined his career. Davenport is basically the same size and speed as Derrick Henry and in high school went up against probably the toughest teams in the country. Henry ran a 11.11 100 meter.

Played for Miami Central and rushed for 1,098 yards and 15 touchdowns in just five games his senior year. Miami Herald All-Dade selection, preseason Reebok All-American. Rushed for 200 yards or more four times his senior season, played in the prestigious Florida-Georgia All-Star game. Tallied 622 yards and seven touchdowns on 100 carries his junior year. Selected to All-Dade County track team...named Butch Davis football camp MVP...coached by Roger Coffey.

I was at that very same Butch Davis FB Camp that he was named MVP....got to see it up close.

From 2 yards out... it's so hard to say who I'd pick, because we have has so many great ones.... I dunno... I think if I had money on it, from 2 yards out, I'd go with Mcgahee. He was so fast, so strong, etc.

I mean, we really have has an embarrassment of riches in the RB department.

Alright, I've changed my mind. I go with Edge for his combo of strength, balance, vision and nose for the end zone.

Advertisement
You don't just want a bulldozer for this...you want a guy with vision, elusiveness, and wiggle that still has a bit of power. That's why the choices that aren't Portis, Gore, Edge, pre-injury Cooper, Otis Anderson, or Melvin Bratton are a bit silly. This type of situation isn't where McGahee or Lamar Miller would shine...they were big play backs.

You don't just want a bulldozer for this...you want a guy with vision, elusiveness, and wiggle that still has a bit of power. That's why the choices that aren't Portis, Gore, Edge, pre-injury Cooper, Otis Anderson, or Melvin Bratton are a bit silly. This type of situation isn't where McGahee or Lamar Miller would shine...they were big play backs.
It’s been almost 2 hours… wanna rethink that statement regarding McGahee or you doubling down, lol. While there may be some to prefer over him, saying that isn’t a situation “where he wouldn’t shine…” is a stretch.

Advertisement
It’s been almost 2 hours… wanna rethink that statement regarding McGahee or you doubling down, lol. While there may be some to prefer over him, saying that isn’t a situation “where he wouldn’t shine…” is a stretch.
He didn't do much at all against OSU in the NC, when there weren't holes to run through. Someone like Gore or Portis would've done better in that situation. McGahee was a one cut back with great top end speed...he needed big holes to get free, but once he did, look out! He had a lot of 3-4 yard gains when those weren't there and then would break the big one. He didn't have the best elusiveness, vision, or even power for his size...go rewatch a few games from 2002 against good opponents that we didnt maul up front like FSU, OSU, and even Pitt. VT was the exception.

He didn't do much at all against OSU in the NC, when there weren't holes to run through. Someone like Gore or Portis would've done better in that situation. McGahee was a one cut back with great top end speed...he needed big holes to get free, but once he did, look out! He had a lot of 3-4 yard gains when those weren't there and then would break the big one. He didn't have the best elusiveness, vision, or even power for his size...go rewatch a few games from 2002 against good opponents that we didnt maul up front like FSU, OSU, and even Pitt. VT was the exception.
We're talking from the 2yd line as the OP stated....Wtf are you talking about??

Advertisement
Meh… that could be said about just any RB on the college or pro level on any given season. Some of the best RB seasons in the history of football included games that weren’t great… it happens to the best of them.

But to throw the OSU Natty game is a bit unfair given when he got hurt in the game and how it ended for him.

But to the two other games you referenced for that season … FSU 26 carries 95 yds 3.7 avg. PITT 19 carries 159 yds 7.4 avg. it’s not like he laid down…. Must’ve had the PITT game confused with the WVU game 32 carries for 112.

edge-gold-teeth-at-miami-cropped.png

Advertisement
Back