MEGA Miami Fan Attendance -Discussion

Part of the problem is some season ticket holders would rather hold onto their tickets and make no money rather than give them away. We have over 30,000 season ticket holders, I'm one of them, I couldn't go, no one wants to pay for last night's ticket so I gave my 4 away. I posted them on a Miami fan's Facebook page the guy took his kids and everyone is happy.

Advertisement
Since you are clearly too dumb to understand...

There is a context to every number. If you want to learn it, fine. If not, **** off, but I'm certainly not going to sit here and let you spew misinformation and generalizations like sewage.

Nobody said anything was "OK". But if you actually bothered to think about the aTm and B-C games, if you TRIED to understand, they you wouldn't have to repeat numbers is if they were self-evident (they are not).

ANY Power 5 opponent that comes to Hard Rock is expected to bring some of their fans. We don't simply sell 65,000 tickets to Miami fans. F$U brings plenty of fans. Notre Dame brings plenty of fans. Clemson brings plenty of fans.

Annnnd...aTm did NOT bring plenty of fans. Now, would aTm have sold an extra 16K tickets? No, I'm not saying that. But we would have been somewhere between 55K and 60K.

Or, to put it another way, the attendance at LAST YEAR's Miami-aTm game was one of the largest EVER at their stadium, at 107,245. So what happened? 5-7 happened (to both of us). Quite obviously, the vast majority of the aTm fanbase didn't travel, and they have a HUGE and well-financed fanbase...who chose not to travel to a beautiful destination (as opposed to some crappy college town)...even though they were the ranked team...

As for B-C, we've already explained those factors several times. Nobody has said it's "OK", but we can't change the reality of what a Thursday night game (on a stormy-looking night) will do for attendance against a TERRIBLE opponent.

All 4 of my Seat-Geek-listed tickets sold within 24 hours of the game. Clearly, some people were making their determinations to attend right up until game time. So I understand why the attendance was not higher.

But, sure, you are going to keep on vomiting your bile on Miami.

Clearly, there has not been as much interest in these first three games, either by Miami fans or by fans of our opponents. I expect their to be somewhat more interest for the next 4 games against ACC opponents.
A stormy looking night? Are you serious? It was beautiful out. There was a short period during the game where it rained. but if you have ever been to hard rock, you would know that 75% of the seats are fully covered and out of the rain. Again, South Florida fans deserve 100% of the criticism for being some of the worst fans in the country.

Agreed. But they have 58K undergrads (68K total students) and the stadium only holds about 45K.

The math simply doesn't work at the current size.
I wonder how many P5, or soon to be P5 schools have more students than seats in their football stadium.

Advertisement
I live in rochester ny .. getting to
A game with flights hotel transportation to from game hotel airport . adds up to a lot of coin to go to a game ..i am doing road game this year .. hitting the bc game

Since you are clearly too dumb to understand...

There is a context to every number. If you want to learn it, fine. If not, **** off, but I'm certainly not going to sit here and let you spew misinformation and generalizations like sewage.
So there's added context. Cool
Nobody said anything was "OK". But if you actually bothered to think about the aTm and B-C games, if you TRIED to understand, they you wouldn't have to repeat numbers is if they were self-evident (they are not).

ANY Power 5 opponent that comes to Hard Rock is expected to bring some of their fans. We don't simply sell 65,000 tickets to Miami fans. F$U brings plenty of fans. Notre Dame brings plenty of fans. Clemson brings plenty of fans.

Annnnd...aTm did NOT bring plenty of fans. Now, would aTm have sold an extra 16K tickets? No, I'm not saying that. But we would have been somewhere between 55K and 60K.

So other teams bring fans too. You're sharp.

Or, to put it another way, the attendance at LAST YEAR's Miami-aTm game was one of the largest EVER at their stadium, at 107,245. So what happened? 5-7 happened (to both of us). Quite obviously, the vast majority of the aTm fanbase didn't travel, and they have a HUGE and well-financed fanbase...who chose not to travel to a beautiful destination (as opposed to some crappy college town)...even though they were the ranked team...

As for B-C, we've already explained those factors several times. Nobody has said it's "OK", but we can't change the reality of what a Thursday night game (on a stormy-looking night) will do for attendance against a TERRIBLE opponent.

All 4 of my Seat-Geek-listed tickets sold within 24 hours of the game. Clearly, some people were making their determinations to attend right up until game time. So I understand why the attendance was not higher.
So you're not defending the low attendance but you understand why it's low. Sympathizing.

But, sure, you are going to keep on vomiting your bile on Miami.

Clearly, there has not been as much interest in these first three games, either by Miami fans or by fans of our opponents. I expect their to be somewhat more interest for the next 4 games against ACC opponents.

My "bile" is pointing out how terrible the attendance is and providing examples of a time it was decently attended as a way to negate most of these sympathizing arguments. An example of hope of what it clearly could be. A "positive" if you will.

Finally you expect the to be good attendance for 4 games of consequence. Good observation. I would have thought it was obvious low hanging fruit. I'll play ball and throw an "agree."

I guess this is why you always say I'm negative.

Last edited:
A stormy looking night? Are you serious? It was beautiful out. There was a short period during the game where it rained. but if you have ever been to hard rock, you would know that 75% of the seats are fully covered and out of the rain. Again, South Florida fans deserve 100% of the criticism for being some of the worst fans in the country.

"A short period during the game where it rained". So you are actually acknowledging that it actually rained?

Look, genius, I've had season tickets, or been a UM student, for 35 years. I've "ever been to Hard Rock". And it makes no ******* difference that "75% of the seats are fully covered and out of the rain". Bad weather impacts the tailgating. It impacts the muddy parking lots. And even the "covered" seats get wet depending on the wind.

I was there for the aTm game, and everyone I was with was genuinely shocked at the pre-game weather forecast vs. the ACTUAL RAIN we encountered. And that "50% rain forecast" for both aTm and Bethune-Cookman turned out to be 100%.

It's time to stop with your bull**** about "worst fans in the country". There are issues. But being "the worst fans in the country" is not why the numbers were what they were.

Go circle-jerk with that other Miami-hater, mcnaire. You two were made for each other.

Sure it does. It's just that we've been the 'bad team' more often than not.
In a way it does. South Florida fans are some of the worst in the country and for good reason. Most are only interested in an "event". Even when the Canes were in their peak years if it was against an opponent that wasn't an "event" people didn't go. Canes "fans" are no different.

Advertisement
What marketing budget?
The fact that our fanbase thinks that merely throwing money at the problem will fix this is further proof that people just don’t get it. If you live in South Florida and aren’t aware of the program, either you are not paying attention or are flat out under a rock. Social media, local tv and sports media all cover Miami football. The issue is the same as it’s always been: College athletics are built around the stakeholders, and that’s the issue at Miami. There aren’t enough local stakeholders because 1)Small private school and 2)Most students aren’t from the area and have no plans to stay after graduation. In other words, there aren’t enough local stakeholders to consistently fill the facility on their own, which means Miami unlike most schools have to rely on people with no connection to the school to do the heavy lifting. The issue is that unless there’s a very compelling reason to show up, there’s little reason for those fans to do so. Giving away tickets or plastering billboards all over the place doesn’t change that simple fact.

Crowd at the temple game is gonna be good for a road game. Theres so many canes fan in NY, PA, & NJ.
Tons of Miami ALUMNI up there. That’s the key word. Random Miami fans will be there, but you know full well it’s going to be a huge alumni contingent. NY is by far our largest alumni chapter, and like the ATL ‘Canes, they show up when the program comes to town.

"A short period during the game where it rained". So you are actually acknowledging that it actually rained?

Look, genius, I've had season tickets, or been a UM student, for 35 years. I've "ever been to Hard Rock". And it makes no ******* difference that "75% of the seats are fully covered and out of the rain". Bad weather impacts the tailgating. It impacts the muddy parking lots. And even the "covered" seats get wet depending on the wind.

I was there for the aTm game, and everyone I was with was genuinely shocked at the pre-game weather forecast vs. the ACTUAL RAIN we encountered. And that "50% rain forecast" for both aTm and Bethune-Cookman turned out to be 100%.

It's time to stop with your bull**** about "worst fans in the country". There are issues. But being "the worst fans in the country" is not why the numbers were what they were.

Go circle-jerk with that other Miami-hater, mcnaire. You two were made for each other.
Since we are throwing out credentials, I too am a long time cane fan of over 50 years including as a student who is a season ticket holder. News flash, it rains in South Florida. Using the possibility of rain as an excuse for people not wanting to go is a poor attempt to justify horrible attendance. So no I will not stop with the South Florida fans being some of the worst in the country because they are. It's one excuse after the next.

Maybe we can get someone to set up a billboard on a broke down lawn truck and drive around for a couple hours.

That oughta do it.

Should take about $10K of CIS contributions, any volunteers to set this up?

Advertisement
To be fair, a lot of med/law students went to a DIFFERENT undergrad school. Had a lot of friends in law school who, if they went to games, were rooting AGAINST Miami.

The reason it's relevant is because Miami has a relatively small undergraduate population (it was less than 9K full-time undergrads when I was a student), but a HUUUUUGE law school (it was the 7th largest law school in the country when I was at UM Law).

Things have changed a bit since. Undergrad population has grown a bit. And the law school size has gone down a bit, as more law schools have been established in Florida.
This is true wise as always TOC

Yes, and that's kinda my point. You have to be committed to putting out some basics at a reasonable cost, and then people are willing to play along.

I'm in Section 119 in Hard Rock, there is a club underneath. The cheeseburger/fries combo was SIXTEEN DOLLARS and it was terrible. The burger was like a hockey puck. It was one of the things I specifically mentioned to UM when I did my "post-game survey".

I would have paid $16 for food five years ago when we had the carving station and much better food down there. But the **** that they serve now is simply not worth it, nor is it worth it anywhere else.

For the Bethune-Cookman game last year, I sat with @SpikeUM and we got some concessions around halftime. You can ask him, I left half of my food sitting because it was so awful.

Deliver the basics at a reasonable price, and a lot of people will then splurge on some of the more expensive offerings.

Hard Rock could do it if Stephen Ross wasn't trying to squeeze every penny out of that place, to the neglect of the quality of the overall experience.
100%. They've made the Club Section not very desirable. Food quality has really gone downhill. Other than the lounge and televisions it is not worth the seat cost. One of the many reasons we moved to 345 this year.

Advertisement
White Sox games are so easy to get to. I usually take the Metra then Uber home if I've been boozin.
Exactly. Make the games family friendly and cheap. Entertainment value in a spectacular stadium with a good product that anyone can afford.

Unfortunately the U probably tried to milk people for parking, etc.. so they just stay away.

100%. They've made the Club Section not very desirable. Food quality has really gone downhill. Other than the lounge and televisions it is not worth the seat cost. One of the many reasons we moved to 345 this year.

Yeah whats up with that? Why mess up a good thing. Club seats were the bomb with good food. I definitely thought I noticed a difference last year during FSU game. I thought it was just the blowout but thinking back it was different than the previous times we did club

I hate that so many people are so defensive about people talking about the attendance and legit things we can and should do to address. If you are telling me that the admin have and are doing all they can to address issues then ok. But i dont think so.

This reminds me of people in the black community when people bring up violence and gang activity. Instead of acknowledging there are things we can do to lessen it, they list 6k reasons why we cant stop it.
I never expect us to be like any of those college towns especially not in my lifetime but i seen better for those so called lesser games.

These excuses some of them are not legit. I live down here, there are alot of things to do, i do them and still attend games. I have a friday night spot i go to that got a live reggae band, i went to (OH) Miami, got back to palm beach and went there at 11:30 pm when it was just getting good. Our fans do not see the importance of supporting the team unless its big games. There is nothing built in that prevents us, not traffic or college town. And note am not talking about none fans. Im talking actual cane fans.

If u got kids, a parent who needs care, you job clash with the game time those are all legit reasons.

Saying its just Bethune or its a noon game, is just a self fulfilling statement. Thats Miami fan culture and mindset. Its very simple. We dont go there for the opponent, we go there for our team.
We have alot of fans all over the country and the world. U could go to timbuktu and find cane fans who wish they could attend Hard Rock for every game. Its not a canes fan mindset, its a south florida mindset

Which is why i said the admin need to do different things and more things. Its like political ads, they run different ads in Live Oak, FL than they do in Miami FL why is that?

Part of the problem is some season ticket holders would rather hold onto their tickets and make no money rather than give them away. We have over 30,000 season ticket holders, I'm one of them, I couldn't go, no one wants to pay for last night's ticket so I gave my 4 away. I posted them on a Miami fan's Facebook page the guy took his kids and everyone is happy.
I'm on a large group chat for my old HS and someone posted their tickets for sale. $250 for 2 seats and parking. LOL. WTF?!

Advertisement
Back