MEGA Miami Fan Attendance -Discussion

Look, I think attendance this year has been horrible. I am the first to scream it from the mountain tops.

But a Thursday night game at 7:30 against Bethune is a recipe for disaster. The traffic going North out of Miami to Hard Rock is brutal. It could easily take 1.5 hours. Not too many people are going to fight that to watch that game.

You ****ers better show up to Ga Tech though.

Advertisement
Do what? Even when the program was ELITE, winning every home game for years on end, people did not care to watch us beat on crap. No amount of marketing will change that. Compared to our peers, our ticket prices are extremely cheap. The school makes it easy to attend games and our fans actively look for reasons not to. We’re better off taking that marketing money and pouring it into the program itself because chasing our cheap fanbase is a waste of time as decades of experience has borne that out.

We have seen this through multiple sports. Ask Coach L about attendance outside of big games, it’s iffy as ****. If you buy a men’s basketball season ticket package, they GIVE you a women’s package for FREE and you can still shoot off a cannon in that building during their games and not hurt a soul. Both basketball products are usually solid and people still only care when name opponents show up or Miami is really, really good.
You dont know that. Bunch of assumptions. Have they done it. People know election year is every 4 years and if u dont go to their communities most of them stay home, even ones who voted before. This idea that you cant do more is stupidity.

The university’s new initiative aims to bridge the remaining aid gap, specifically allowing students from the lowest income backgrounds to attend “without the need for student loans.”

“Retaining talent is critical to our region’s success; Duke’s commitment to these students is also a commitment to the North and South Carolina communities they call home,

I think there are various things Miami can do that when COMBINED, may improve the situation. Improve by showing a commitment to the Miami community and maybe you can make some inroads. Just my two cents.

Alcohol too expensive inside the game. I get it LOL.

1694796404824.png

We can do more to get the fans out to the stadium. Just like how we knew they could do more to make us competitive. Before Mario came along and they revamped the operation. Yall read the bible as to why we should and cant compete with Duke and Wake Forest for players.

Advertisement
UM doesn’t do a lot of marketing or advertising for tickets that I have seen which I’m sure is because they don’t carry big budgets. Need more community events in the K-12 schools to garner attention for games like this. No reason for the type of crowd they had last night it was genuinely horrific.

Most northeastern & latin American students don’t care about college sports diehard’s are the locals, and the ones that major in things like media and sports admin. Most law students too
I can attest to the Northeastern students, or, northeast in general.

Advertisement
How many kids even qualify for that assistance at Duke? Exactly. This fanbase loves to spend the school’s money despite providing no support whatsoever. The University of Miami is NOT a state sponsored institution and shouldn’t be run that way. Why is this so incredibly difficult to grasp? Dukes program is like the Harvard program where it’s rarely utilized because there are few poor kids that will even get in to begin with.

It's not about the kids who are currently at Duke.

But this could inspire more kids to apply who think "I could never afford Duke".

My brother moved to Charlotte a few years ago. Three sons. Very smart kids. They would probably qualify for free Duke tuition, and I hope they go (although the oldest one is interested in marine science and I'm trying to get him to consider UM).

Then UCF needs a "bigger boat".
Students who want to go to the games should be allowed to attend games.

Agreed. But they have 58K undergrads (68K total students) and the stadium only holds about 45K.

The math simply doesn't work at the current size.

It's not about the kids who are currently at Duke.

But this could inspire more kids to apply who think "I could never afford Duke".

My brother moved to Charlotte a few years ago. Three sons. Very smart kids. They would probably qualify for free Duke tuition, and I hope they go (although the oldest one is interested in marine science and I'm trying to get him to consider UM).
My son told me Miami was considering something similar or at least this was a strategic goal when he was there. 16% acceptance rate for this freshmen class which is impressive so who knows?

So the only thing I was incorrect about was the FAMU attendance in 2016 that was still 20k more than yesterday and near FSU. Cool.

Total dip****tery from you, as is usual.

FAMU was the home opener that year. On a Saturday.

I'm not even going to bother with you here. I know you know the difference, and I know the trash you spew is performative attention-seeking.

Spare us. Why don't you use your time more wisely, by trolling the UiF or F$U boards.

Advertisement
Crowd at the temple game is gonna be good for a road game. Theres so many canes fan in NY, PA, & NJ.

There is a kid in the Miami area, comes from a single parent home, Mom makes 90k a year. Not bad. She does everything she can for her son. SAT prep, private school etc… Very good student. He would love to go to UM but even after aid, it is still cheaper to go up to UF. He doesn’t see UM as accessible.

You think UM marketing or putting something out to the community of Miami, to say “listen, we know we are expensive as a private school, but if you work hard and can get accepted, and you aren’t from a financially well off background, no longer do you have to automatically eliminate us, there is a place here for you at UM and its not just if you are an athlete.”

To me, thats one of many ways you create a relationship with a community and present as accessible to them.

Miami should be trying to be The University of Miami, instead of just The University near Miami, in every way that is of course fiscally responsible.

Keep building relationships. In the 30/30 this was discussed. I am going to find it.

Advertisement
Mercedes has a national reputation as having reasonable concessions. Can't say that about Chicago. Honestly, it's been a while since I've been to Hard Rock. But I remember it being pretty pricey.

Yes, and that's kinda my point. You have to be committed to putting out some basics at a reasonable cost, and then people are willing to play along.

I'm in Section 119 in Hard Rock, there is a club underneath. The cheeseburger/fries combo was SIXTEEN DOLLARS and it was terrible. The burger was like a hockey puck. It was one of the things I specifically mentioned to UM when I did my "post-game survey".

I would have paid $16 for food five years ago when we had the carving station and much better food down there. But the **** that they serve now is simply not worth it, nor is it worth it anywhere else.

For the Bethune-Cookman game last year, I sat with @SpikeUM and we got some concessions around halftime. You can ask him, I left half of my food sitting because it was so awful.

Deliver the basics at a reasonable price, and a lot of people will then splurge on some of the more expensive offerings.

Hard Rock could do it if Stephen Ross wasn't trying to squeeze every penny out of that place, to the neglect of the quality of the overall experience.

Well I couldn't make it because I caught Covid last game, so I'm on bed rest/quarantine.

Next home game in October should have a good crowd.

Vs Bethune cookman

2019-52,036
2022- 56,795

I don't think the crowd last night was anywhere close to those 2019 & 2022 numbers.
52,000 and 56000 for Bethune?? Never happened. Maybe 20% of those numbers were actually there in terms of human bodies.

Do what? Even when the program was ELITE, winning every home game for years on end, people did not care to watch us beat on crap. No amount of marketing will change that. Compared to our peers, our ticket prices are extremely cheap. The school makes it easy to attend games and our fans actively look for reasons not to. We’re better off taking that marketing money and pouring it into the program itself because chasing our cheap fanbase is a waste of time as decades of experience has borne that out.

We have seen this through multiple sports. Ask Coach L about attendance outside of big games, it’s iffy as ****. If you buy a men’s basketball season ticket package, they GIVE you a women’s package for FREE and you can still shoot off a cannon in that building during their games and not hurt a soul. Both basketball products are usually solid and people still only care when name opponents show up or Miami is really, really good.
What marketing budget?

I think some people here watch a few games on TV and think every stadium in a country is packed except for Miami. Don't fall for the narrative from Herbie and others outside of Miami. Try paying attention to other programs outside the top 10-15 and see what their stadium looks like on game day, especially against teams like Bethune. Especially teams coming off a poor season.

Sure Nebraska will be nearly full when they are 0-9 but go look at USC when they are 5-4. Look at UCLA or any PAC 12 or ACC team under the same circumstances.

I'm tied of the narrative and people should not be so easily swayed.

Sure, Miami will never be as Ohio St, Neb or Bama is now and if that is where your expectations are you have unrealistic expectations and will never be happy. There are a hundred programs and many with less than full or half empty stadiums week after week yet, Miami seems to be the program Herbie and others criticize for not having a full stadium.

I would like to see full stadiums at every other program week after week before I will accept that Miami has some kind of fan problem.

Advertisement
Back