Miami at Pitt 8pm ACCN

Wong is an atrocious shooter and teams have figured him out. Going to have to make gigantic strides in the offseason since he won't have Moore or McGusty to play off of
He had a bad night from the floor tonight but he's not an atrocious shooter. He was shooting 46% from the field going into the game despite his 3-pt % dipping to 30%. 46% is a career high. Up from 43% last year. He's lost his touch from beyond the arc and that can be more glaring. Wong is nearly 55% on 2s this year.

Advertisement
Wong is just too **** skinny, every time he drives to the basket he bouncing off people like a ping pong ball and hits the floor. Last season he got hurt a few times driving and I think that’s in the back of his head. He needs to be at least 200 lbs if he wants to sniff the NBA because his game isn’t outside shooting.

Wong will be fine. No Wong. No tourney this year. Some of ya'll are too quick to turn on a brother. For all of you CIS scouts out there. Ya'll need to relax. It's very likely that Mr. Wong will be playing on an NBA roster next season. Let's enjoy the ride while he's still here.

The straight disrespect this team gets is just….so Miami.

- 4–1 in Quad 1 games
- 8-2 on the road
- Swept Wake (currently 5th in ACC and a 9 seed in bracketology)
- Hammered UNC (currently tied with us in ACC and a 9 seed in bracketology)
- Beat Duke at Duke (current top seed in ACC)

Yea we’ve had some close losses (and wins), but since when does a team thats 8-2 on the road and in the top 5 of a P5 conference struggle to get in the dance?

This team should be a stone cold lock! Yet… somehow we’re fighting for our lives. It’s criminal. Only Miami….

Advertisement
Regressed year over year? Wait! What? He went from averaging 7 ppg as a freshman to 17 ppg in year two. That's progression to me. Yes, this season his scoring average has dropped a point to just under 16 ppg but I think he's still very capable of turning it around. Personally, I'd like to see him be more aggressive. He seems to be doing a lot of standing around the 3-pt line looking to chuck shots, instead of staying in attack mode. Wong is a much better player when he's going down hill towards the basket. Too much settling. He gets into trouble when he becomes 1-dimensional.
With Charlie here, and McGusty asserting himself, Wong has gone from our #1 option last season to our #3.

Great road win. We did what we had to do and that's dominate in a must win game against a bad team. We were only 4 point favorites, but we made it way easier than that. A few thoughts:

- Kam and Moore were awesome. They combined for 38 points on 14/23 shooting, 5/10 from 3, with 9 assists, 7 rebounds, and 4 steals. If both of them can find a way to peak in March, watch out.
- Wong's struggles have already been well documented in this thread so I won't say too much else. It was a bad game, he should be fine. I bet he goes off vs. VT this Saturday. If he struggles again in that game, then I will be concerned.
- Sam did a nice job attacking and being aggressive.
- Once again, the unsung hero is Jordan Miller. He's turned into a super efficient offensive weapon. He has an array of moves and can beat guys off the dribble down low. I would like to see him even more involved in the offense going forward.
- Another solid bench performance from Walker. He will commit a bad turnover now and then, but his play over the last few weeks has been very encouraging. He's given us a much needed spark of energy and athleticism off the bench.
- It was nice to see Joseph go 2/2 from 3 after his poor game vs. UVA.
- Wooga struggled offensively but I'm encouraged by his defensive improvement. I think the light will eventually come on for him. It just may not be this season.
- Gak provided some solid minutes off the bench as well. Anything we can get from him is just an added bonus.

Advertisement
Can miller please come back next season. Could really use a veteran. Gna be brutal if they lose all 5 starters
Miller and Walker should be our leaders next year unless a super frosh is coming in. Poplar and Joseph have looked exactly like freshmen this year. Looking forward to their improvement. Harlond Beverly should be back next year too. IMO he doesn't move the needle though.

Miller and Walker should be our leaders next year unless a super frosh is coming in. Poplar and Joseph have looked exactly like freshmen this year. Looking forward to their improvement. Harlond Beverly should be back next year too. IMO he doesn't move the needle though.
Who knows if Beverly will ever play basketball again. He's had back to back season ending back injuries. Regardless, we certainly need to add a transfer portal guard or two. All of the incoming freshman are forwards, and we are losing a ton from this year's backcourt (Moore, Kam, and possibly Wong).

With Charlie here, and McGusty asserting himself, Wong has gone from our #1 option last season to our #3.

I disagree on Wong being the #3 option. I think it's 1A and 1B between him and McGusty. Those guys are getting about the same amount of shots up per game. Matter of fact, statistically they're almost identical across the board. Biggest difference I see is McGusty is averaging 2 ppg more than Wong and shooting it at a higher clip from the FT and 3-pt line. Moore is the 3rd wheel to me.

Last edited:
Just seems lately that Kam and Charlie are leading the way. Whatever option Wong is, I still want the ball in his hands with little time on the clock. Our best penetrator/finisher at the rim.

See that Bensley Joseph has still got good 3 point stats. Watching his shot last nite, it looked a little flat (not as bad as Timberlake's was but ...). Long as they go in I guess!

Advertisement
Who knows if Beverly will ever play basketball again. He's had back to back season ending back injuries. Regardless, we certainly need to add a transfer portal guard or two. All of the incoming freshman are forwards, and we are losing a ton from this year's backcourt (Moore, Kam, and possibly Wong).
I don't think there is any doubt Wong is going pro after this season.

I'd like to get another seasoned pg and I think we could use a good rebounding, experienced, defensive center to anchor a young line.

I disagree on Wong being the #3 option. I think it's 1A and 1B between him and McGusty. Those guys are getting about the same amount of shots up per game. Matter of fact, statistically they're almost identical across the board. Biggest difference I see is McGusty is averaging 2 ppg more than Wong and shooting it at a higher clip from the FT and 3-pt line. Moore is the 3rd wheel to me.
Sam could actually be the third wheel if he was more aggressive.

Advertisement
Great road win. We did what we had to do and that's dominate in a must win game against a bad team. We were only 4 point favorites, but we made it way easier than that. A few thoughts:

- Kam and Moore were awesome. They combined for 38 points on 14/23 shooting, 5/10 from 3, with 9 assists, 7 rebounds, and 4 steals. If both of them can find a way to peak in March, watch out.
- Wong's struggles have already been well documented in this thread so I won't say too much else. It was a bad game, he should be fine. I bet he goes off vs. VT this Saturday. If he struggles again in that game, then I will be concerned.
- Sam did a nice job attacking and being aggressive.
- Once again, the unsung hero is Jordan Miller. He's turned into a super efficient offensive weapon. He has an array of moves and can beat guys off the dribble down low. I would like to see him even more involved in the offense going forward.
- Another solid bench performance from Walker. He will commit a bad turnover now and then, but his play over the last few weeks has been very encouraging. He's given us a much needed spark of energy and athleticism off the bench.
- It was nice to see Joseph go 2/2 from 3 after his poor game vs. UVA.
- Wooga struggled offensively but I'm encouraged by his defensive improvement. I think the light will eventually come on for him. It just may not be this season.
- Gak provided some solid minutes off the bench as well. Anything we can get from him is just an added bonus.
Jordan Miller looks like he's going to be a force to be reckoned with moving forward.

Dude can score around the rim with both hands at ease. I hope Coach L has some secret sauce on this bench that's he's been waiting to unleash. L can make a good run with this squad despite all of their deficiencies. This is a team that's well coached, experienced, plays with heart and is extremely talented. I think we're getting ready to make some noise. This has been such a fun season!!

Advertisement
Back