Miami at GT win to get ranked?

Nice win! Most encouraging thing about today's win for me is the fact Miami was able to pretty much control this game on the road without much production from Wong and Moore. That's two good back to back games from Miller as well. Hopefully, that's a sign of things to come from him heading into the final stretch of the regular season. Biggest difference in the game was FT shooting, Miami shot it at over 80% and GT was only 2-10. Also great to see Miami win the rebound battle against an ACC team.

GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
Another solid road win. We survived and punched back when they made a huge run and the crowd was crazy. It's still incredibly notable we're doing all this without any inside presence whatsoever. I know it's frustrating to watch Kam and Wong force stuff and take a bunch of contested threes but we have no post game. If this team had a legit big we might be top 10.

Kinda crazy. I remember during the tournament in Orlando I said that I’d be surprised if they’d win 3 ACC games all year. They have 3 ACC road wins by the end of January and are first in the conference. Let’s keep it rolling!!

Advertisement
Survived the two “must win” road games against bottom feeders. Now it’s time for another statement win against ND. Not as good as their record IMO, but a solid team. Cant come out slow again.

Another awesome blowout road win. This is a tourney team. Fantastic coaching job by Coach L
My only criticism of Larranaga in today's game is not calling a TO during GT's 11-0 run to close the gap to 8 with a few minutes to go. When we finally did call the TO we immediately grew the lead back to double digits and were able to close it out.

Agree with you on this being a tourney team. Looking like it more and more with each passing game.

Another solid road win. We survived and punched back when they made a huge run and the crowd was crazy. It's still incredibly notable we're doing all this without any inside presence whatsoever. I know it's frustrating to watch Kam and Wong force stuff and take a bunch of contested threes but we have no post game. If this team had a legit big we might be top 10.
This team is a legit big away from an Elite 8 run. I’ve been saying it for a month now.

Advertisement
L works the refs without being a jackass. How is that a negative? Why cost your team points and possessions by making it about you?

He doesn’t work them hard enough. I’m not saying to take a tech. I’m saying work them harder - live and behind the scenes.

It is insane that we get such a consistently bad whistle with who he is and how we play.

Edit: and I’m not moping. Great win, and there’s literally not a coach in college basketball that I would want to trade L for. I think but for the FBI disgrace we would be a top 10 program right now.

This team is a legit big away from an Elite 8 run. I’ve been saying it for a month now.

This team can get to the elite 8 the way it is, IMO. Not saying that’s the expectation, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility. It’s a matchup game and our 5 out offense and defensive intensity can beat almost anyone on a good night.

He doesn’t work them hard enough. I’m not saying to take a tech. I’m saying work them harder - live and behind the scenes.

It is insane that we get such a consistently bad whistle with who he is and how we play.

Edit: and I’m not moping. Great win, and there’s literally not a coach in college basketball that I would want to trade L for. I think but for the FBI disgrace we would be a top 10 program right now.

L does work the refs. He's understated, because that's who he is, most of the time. What's funny is that when he does get truly animated, it has more of an effect, BECAUSE he isn't always out there screaming. People need to let go of this "If you aren't out there acting like a douchebag, you aren't working the refs", fantasy. L (nor any other Miami coach) isn't going to overcome the politics of the ACC and how that translates to how games are called.

Katie Meier is very animated, she will chew on a ref all day if she has to, doesn't help as much as you'd think. Why? Because refs come in with biases and nonsense, and they take their orders from league offices and other places. It's similar to Miami football. Miami has had coaches fill reams of paper with stuff to the Conference office, hasn't done one iota of good to how games are called.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

This team can get to the elite 8 the way it is, IMO. Not saying that’s the expectation, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility. It’s a matchup game and our 5 out offense and defensive intensity can beat almost anyone on a good night.
Guard play wins in the Dance and that's the one thing Miami has. If Miami can get Charlie, Isaiah and Kam going at the same time in the tournament, a run can happen. Wong can get Kemba hot, we've seen it before.

Advertisement
L does work the refs. He's understated, because that's who he is, most of the time. What's funny is that when he does get truly animated, it has more of an effect, BECAUSE he isn't always out there screaming. People need to let go of this "If you aren't out there acting like a douchebag, you aren't working the refs", fantasy. L (nor any other Miami coach) isn't going to overcome the politics of the ACC and how that translates to how games are called.

Katie Meier is very animated, she will chew on a ref all day if she has to, doesn't help as much as you'd think. Why? Because refs come in with biases and nonsense, and they take their orders from league offices and other places. It's similar to Miami football. Miami has had coaches fill reams of paper with stuff to the Conference office, hasn't done one iota of good to how games are called.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Didn't work today. The whistle got better for tech after their coach threw his tantrum.

I know how L tries to manage the refs. It’s not working. Look, I’m the biggest homer there is… but there is also an objective reality.

Didn't work tonight. The whistle got better for tech after their coach threw his tantrum.

The crowd also played a role. Refs can play to the crowd, especially weak ones. That said, Miami also got some calls coming down the stretch(Kam getting a touch foul on a jumper). Don't depend on the refs, play your game. Miami started settling for Js late, and that limited how often Miami went to the line. Miami should have kept abusing the paint.

Advertisement
The crowd also played a role. Refs can play to the crowd, especially weak ones. That said, Miami also got some calls coming down the stretch(Kam getting a touch foul on a jumper). Don't depend on the refs, play your game. Miami started settling for Js late, and that limited how often Miami went to the line. Miami should have kept abusing the paint.

C’mon man. You’re gonna call that Kam foul a call we were lucky to get? He clearly got hit on the elbow and the ball missed the rim by 5 feet.

Meanwhile they fouled Moore out for moving his feet and maintaining defensive position with his hands up.

They can beat anyone on any given night, but there’s gonna be a night against a good team that we won’t be able to stop their front court. That’s the issue.

Advertisement
Back