Miami adds elite local receiver Pope

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
View attachment 43565

There's a strong case to be made that Miami wide receivers coach Ron Dugans has been the top recruiter at his position in the country during the 2017 year.

Southridge star wide out Mark Pope committed to Mark Richt and the Hurricanes program on Monday, adding to Miami's #1-ranked class in the country. Pope is an electric receiver rated as the #23 player in the country, the #4 WR, and #4 player in Florida. Miami has pursued Pope as a primary wide receiver for more than a year.

He solidified his status as an elite prospect with a dominant playoff performance last season, including the game-winning touchdown in the 8A state championship late in the fourth quarter.

[TWEET]838200145216999425[/TWEET]

[TWEET]804850071649091588[/TWEET]

Pope joins top-40 ranked Brian Hightower and his teammate Daquris Wiggins as the three receivers in Miami's 2018 class. The Canes plan on adding one more at the position unless something changes with their current situation. In the first 3 months on the year, UM WR coach Ron Dugans has more than earned his paycheck. On signing day he flipped Mike Harley from West Virginia and did a masterful job in the recruitment of Jeff Thomas. Dugans was also able to lock up Pope and Hightower in the same time frame.

Miami's hot recruiting start has seemed to be staggered with commitments. Nesta Silvera started the run in mid-February, the Carol City duo Randy Russell and Camron Davis committed on Junior Day, QB Art Sitkowski committed shortly thereafter, Hightower the next week, and finally Pope today.

Look for Miami coaches to begin focusing in on the front 7 and offensive line to supplement what they have at the skill positions. The picture is becoming much clearer at defensive back, with at least one imminent commitment on the way -- a similar situation has developed at receiver too. Quarterback and running back are set for the remainder of the class, while tight end is another area that needs resolution.

For the time being, it certainly seems like Mark Richt's master plan is in effect for this recruiting cycle.

[TWEET]816823410055647233[/TWEET]

[HUDL]video/3/6165977/57d60d65f617081bc857d426[/HUDL]

Advertisement
Putting a vid out now man...............tomorrow I got the pastors pope and we got our own Jobe too......it is written miami savages r back

You know the more I think about it, 3 WRs would be enough in this class. Don't particularly want Elijah Moore. And if we can't get Austin, Williams or the other Moore, I think just these 3 is great.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not the same size as AJ green but as far as body control, catching radius, and effortless route running they are very similar in that aspect.

Advertisement
Advertisement
You know the more I think about it, 3 WRs would be enough in this class. Don't particularly want Elijah Moore. And if we can't get Hightower or the other Moore, I think just these 3 is great.

Three would be fine numbers wise after taking four in 2017. The big thing is the size they add with Hightower and Wiggins. They needed that.

Advertisement
I'd be happy with a final WR or Austin or Moore. If we can find a place (athlete?) for finnie - cherry on top.

Advertisement
Back