Miami AD on Mark Richt's impact: I went from hated to loved

UM wasn't going to pay for a good coach, you know that. If they wouldn't pay to keep Butch Davis, then hired the three scrubs in a row, what makes you think James had the money at his disposal to hire a top coach? He has the money NOW with the big Adidas deal. As soon as he had the money to play with, he got a great coach.

If you send your wife to the liquor store with $2.50, are you going to yell at her when she comes home with a couple cheap beers instead of cognac? Dude had a crappy budget and we have fans surprised he brought home some cheap booze.
You could never actually or fully forgive the man who hired and dragged his feet to fire y'all know who. Put it on shalala but **** still happened on his watch.

I wouldn't allow myself to be associated with he who will remain nameless. I would have probably gotten fired but I would have been on the record saying that it was disrespectful for that staff to be in place and intact as long as they were. And by the way my wife would have asked wtf am I suppose to do with this prior to ever leaving.

Advertisement
Quick question?? Does Blake think love means we don't hate him as much as we did before?? Because if that's his definition then I definitely "love" him

Last edited:
Ha, my wife wouldn't leave the house. Would probably just pretend nothing happened. "$2.50? What $2.50?"
UM wasn't going to pay for a good coach, you know that. If they wouldn't pay to keep Butch Davis, then hired the three scrubs in a row, what makes you think James had the money at his disposal to hire a top coach? He has the money NOW with the big Adidas deal. As soon as he had the money to play with, he got a great coach.

If you send your wife to the liquor store with $2.50, are you going to yell at her when she comes home with a couple cheap beers instead of cognac? Dude had a crappy budget and we have fans surprised he brought home some cheap booze.
You could never actually or fully forgive the man who hired and dragged his feet to fire y'all know who. Put it on shalala but **** still happened on his watch.

I wouldn't allow myself to be associated with he who will remain nameless. I would have probably gotten fired but I would have been on the record saying that it was disrespectful for that staff to be in place and intact as long as they were. And by the way my wife would have asked wtf am I suppose to do with this prior to ever leaving.

Get that indoor practice facility and get a stadium on campus then you'll be loved. Just making a good hire won't change much.

Stadium?
No problem. Just clear out all the academic buildings on the north end of campus.

Ha, my wife wouldn't leave the house. Would probably just pretend nothing happened. "$2.50? What $2.50?"

Lol exactly.

Advertisement
Miami AD on Mark Richt's impact: I went from hated to loved

Posted by: Chris Vannini on Monday May 09, 2016

Miami (FL) athletic director Blake James says he’s a pretty popular guy in south Florida right now, and it’s a big change from eight months ago.

The decision to dismiss Al Golden and the ability to hire Mark Richt has completely changed the feeling of the Hurricane fanbase.

How much so? James says Miami has seen a record 86 percent renewal rate for season tickets, and new season tickets sold total around 9,000. You've seen plenty of photos of an empty Miami stadium, but James says they're already nearing 40,000 season tickets, before the busy sell summer. The booster club has also grown.

“I went from being one of the least popular guys to one of the most popular guys,” James told SiriusXM College Sports Nation. “It’s the world we live in. Whether it’s current students, former students, program alumni, anyone following the program wasn’t happy with the situation.

“To have someone with Mark’s pedigree as our head coach, given his ties to the university has been a home run for us in so many different ways. The fanbase has embraced that. For us as a program, it’s well-documented that ticket sales have been a challenge. We’re down to less than 2,000 seats left in the lower bowl. We’re going to have more season tickets than we’ve ever sold as a program. I’ve confident of that. The response has been overwhelmingly positive.”

When James dismissed Golden in December, it came one day after James said there wouldn’t be a change yet.

But when he decided to make that change, James says Richt was at the top of the list — if he would become available. James contacted Richt's agent after Golden was let go, but Richt turned down interest. When Richt became available after the season, Miami was ready to court him. Richt wanted to be more hands-on and have control of the offense, and James was on board.

“It’s difficult any time you tell someone their position is ending, whether that’s a football coach, development person or in any business. You hate to do that,” James said. “At the same time, you always have to make decisions based on what’s best for the institution and program, and that’s the decision I made.

“As soon as I make decisions, we looked forward. Mark, given his tremendous history as a head coach and offensive coordinator at Florida State and his ties to our program was at the top of my list right away. At the same time, he was the head coach of Georgia, and I wasn’t sure that was going to work out. As we worked on our progress, we made our change midseason, but I wasn’t looking to make a (hire) until after the season. The day after the season ended, Mark was available. Within two days, we had him as our head coach.”

Richt’s first three games as Miami coach in September will be against Florida A&M, Florida Atlantic and at Appalachian State.

I like the Richt hire, but I think the AD dumb lucked into it.

Advertisement
Not sure one person liked or respected Blake James before the firing of golden. Since then he has been earning my respect though I'm not even going to lie. Since shalalas shackles are off of him he has started to exude more confidence in his interviews and made boss hiring richt and co...

Blake wanted Richt and he got him. Respect to him for coming through under a lot of scrutiny.

Miami's athletic department will be rolling if football gets right.

Not sure one person liked or respected Blake James before the firing of golden. Since then he has been earning my respect though I'm not even going to lie. Since shalalas shackles are off of him he has started to exude more confidence in his interviews and made boss hiring richt and co...

If Broke respects him, that is all I need to know.

Advertisement
He lucked into the hire...had UGA not been scared of losing Kirby Smart to Carolina, Richt is still the coach there

Advertisement
When he chose not to fire Golden after the Penn St. fiasco, he was dead to me.

Still is...

Blake wanted Richt and he got him. Respect to him for coming through under a lot of scrutiny.

Miami's athletic department will be rolling if football gets right.

True, but he could have had Butch two years earlier and then Mark would have at least of a NFL team right now.

I am sure Blake James gives two ***** that couple of clowns on a message board who probably have never given a dime to the Athletic department don't like him.

Advertisement
Back