Miami AD on Mark Richt's impact: I went from hated to loved

sitzee

Freshman
Miami AD on Mark Richt's impact: I went from hated to loved

Posted by: Chris Vannini on Monday May 09, 2016

Miami (FL) athletic director Blake James says he’s a pretty popular guy in south Florida right now, and it’s a big change from eight months ago.

The decision to dismiss Al Golden and the ability to hire Mark Richt has completely changed the feeling of the Hurricane fanbase.

How much so? James says Miami has seen a record 86 percent renewal rate for season tickets, and new season tickets sold total around 9,000. You've seen plenty of photos of an empty Miami stadium, but James says they're already nearing 40,000 season tickets, before the busy sell summer. The booster club has also grown.

“I went from being one of the least popular guys to one of the most popular guys,” James told SiriusXM College Sports Nation. “It’s the world we live in. Whether it’s current students, former students, program alumni, anyone following the program wasn’t happy with the situation.

“To have someone with Mark’s pedigree as our head coach, given his ties to the university has been a home run for us in so many different ways. The fanbase has embraced that. For us as a program, it’s well-documented that ticket sales have been a challenge. We’re down to less than 2,000 seats left in the lower bowl. We’re going to have more season tickets than we’ve ever sold as a program. I’ve confident of that. The response has been overwhelmingly positive.”

When James dismissed Golden in December, it came one day after James said there wouldn’t be a change yet.

But when he decided to make that change, James says Richt was at the top of the list — if he would become available. James contacted Richt's agent after Golden was let go, but Richt turned down interest. When Richt became available after the season, Miami was ready to court him. Richt wanted to be more hands-on and have control of the offense, and James was on board.

“It’s difficult any time you tell someone their position is ending, whether that’s a football coach, development person or in any business. You hate to do that,” James said. “At the same time, you always have to make decisions based on what’s best for the institution and program, and that’s the decision I made.

“As soon as I make decisions, we looked forward. Mark, given his tremendous history as a head coach and offensive coordinator at Florida State and his ties to our program was at the top of my list right away. At the same time, he was the head coach of Georgia, and I wasn’t sure that was going to work out. As we worked on our progress, we made our change midseason, but I wasn’t looking to make a (hire) until after the season. The day after the season ended, Mark was available. Within two days, we had him as our head coach.”

Richt’s first three games as Miami coach in September will be against Florida A&M, Florida Atlantic and at Appalachian State.

Advertisement
Awesome news on the season ticket front, it goes a long way in recruiting and changing the perception of the program.

Get that indoor practice facility and get a stadium on campus then you'll be loved. Just making a good hire won't change much.

Get that indoor practice facility and get a stadium on campus then you'll be loved. Just making a good hire won't change much.

The second the words "stadium on campus" are typed you immediately lose not only all your credibility, but also the long shot chance that anyone would think you have much more than room temperature IQ

Advertisement
Easy, cowboy. This is the type of overreacting that gets Blake smacked around a little bit at home by the wife.

Blake still has yet to prove anything other than he can make an obvious hire when a great candidate falls into his lap

Get an IPF and start working on a stadium initiative, then maybe we can talk

Last edited:
Blake still has yet to prove anything other than he can make an obvious hire when a great candidate falls into his lap

Get and IPF and start working on a stadium initiative, then maybe we can talk

Exactly. I'm personally only back to giving the guy a clean slate and showing enough respect to call him by his given first name. Let's see how he proceeds from here. If anything, the Frenkinator deserves just as much or more credit for greenlighting the hire financially.

Advertisement

Only a completely ignorant and delusional fan would think there is even a 0.0001% chance that there will be an on campus stadium. No place to put one and no chance the City of Coral Gables would ever approve one even if there was room. The guy should be banned from posting.

Prepare thyself...

133113_s.gif

Advertisement

Get and IPF and start working on a stadium initiative, then maybe we can talk

[WARNING SARCASM ALERT]

What are you talking about? Blake planned it all along. He knew Richt was going to fall into his lap. He knew Richt would get fired. He knew he didn't need to plan to replace Golden. He is the best AD. Minnesota State Mankato is a great school and everyone who attends takes 5 years to graduate.

Only a completely ignorant and delusional fan would think there is even a 0.0001% chance that there will be an on campus stadium. No place to put one and no chance the City of Coral Gables would ever approve one even if there was room. The guy should be banned from posting.

This comes from one of the worst to ever porst.

You could never actually or fully forgive the man who hired and dragged his feet to fire yall know who. Put it on shalala but **** still happened on his watch.

Advertisement
UM wasn't going to pay for a good coach, you know that. If they wouldn't pay to keep Butch Davis, then hired the three scrubs in a row, what makes you think James had the money at his disposal to hire a top coach? He has the money NOW with the big Adidas deal. As soon as he had the money to play with, he got a great coach.

If you send your wife to the liquor store with $2.50, are you going to yell at her when she comes home with a couple cheap beers instead of cognac? Dude had a crappy budget and we have fans surprised he brought home some cheap booze.
You could never actually or fully forgive the man who hired and dragged his feet to fire y'all know who. Put it on shalala but **** still happened on his watch.

Same can be said for Detroit. Fire Golden and their popularity and season tickets will go up. Especially happy to hear that we with same day purchases will probably be around 55k average not including a couple home sell outs, Free Shoes U and ?.

Advertisement
Back