Miami 7-8 defenders near LOS Nebraska

Take away the best player (Abdullah), and make the rest of them beat you. Tackling was bad. Gameplan was bad. Coaches were bad. Players were bad (because they aren't coached well enough).

Holy ****. I just realized this. Was there a specific moment you made this change in stance or it just evolved to where we are now? If I remember correctly, you and I had some extended back and forth toward the end of last season and into the bowl period. I haven't dug up those old posts, but I remember you felt pretty strongly.

*Before someone assumes, this is not a call out. Sincerely caught by surprise on your post. You're a reasonable guy who just held a previously strong position. It never got personal, so I'm curious what or when the apparent change occurred.

Last edited:
Advertisement
And yet somehow, McNeese ******* STATE was able to hold Abdullah to less than 60 yards. Terrible ******* logic.

Take away the best player (Abdullah), and make the rest of them beat you. Tackling was bad. Gameplan was bad. Coaches were bad. Players were bad (because they aren't coached well enough).

Holy ****. I just realized this. Was there a specific moment you made this change in stance or it just evolved to where we are now? If I remember correctly, you and I had some extended back and forth toward the end of last season and into the bowl period. I haven't dug up those old posts, but I remember you felt pretty strongly.

*Before someone assumes, this is not a call out. Sincerely caught by surprise on your post. You're a reasonable guy who just held a previously strong position. It never got personal, so I'm curious what or when the apparent change occurred.

I'm pretty sure 91's shtick was just wait till we had Golden's players.... lol

Light+Bulb+Thought2b.JPG

Advertisement
Since - When did Nebraska become Tex AM?....

Man Look... it was a blown Coverage... Ok we get it. BUT to play call you defense because you are scared of this happening again shows me that you have ZERO confidence in your DBs (who is supposed to be the strength of the D BTW).

Coach D's theory on D sucks for our offense because the margin off error/pressure of Scoring on EVERY one of our drives becomes greater, due to our defense is playing on Skates giving up 4 yrs a pop, have the opposition eat up 7-8 min on the clock and then resulting in a Score!!!

All because this dude is playing a reactionary style...

I'm sorry ... Say what ever you want about the guy.... Jon Tenuta would have our team Blitzing the **** out of Teams off the ****ing plane. We might give up the long bomb occasionally - but with our Offense, i like that we would be able to win most games by 2 possessions due to the fact that Tenuta would be able to get the ball back to the our Offense more times than Coach D ever could.

For the Record - I don't want Tenuta.. just saying his style fits our athletes..

JC

If Armstrong would've beaten us in the air then I would be fine with this result....but since it was Abdullah and you know he's a dynamic back and you didn't take him away makes this sting even more.

I don't understand this alignment? What's the point of having Crawford 12 yards deep on the hash there? Are we trying to triple team the TE? Bush is also in no man's land, whe would he be so deep on the short side there....I don't get what we would be trying to do with our safties here.

Pretty sure this is where we gave up the TD with Armbrister on the slot, but is that a ***** up on the alignment? Was Crawford on the wrong hash?

Last edited:
Really..Are you sure? Because the Nebraska offense has had a great deal of success moving the ball against that Mich St defense. Even last year, if not for 5 turnovers, many unforced against that Spartan D last year, Nebraska beats Sparty.

Nebraska was -5 turnovers against Spartans in Lincoln last year. Too be -5 against Rose Bowl champs and still in game. -5 turnover day against quality team like that usually leads to loss much worse than 14 points

I really think Miami DC plan was to force the Nebraska offense into long 8, 10, 12 play and longer drives. Because prior to Miami game, and this was a huge concern for Nebraska fans, this offense had yet to show that it could grind out numerous long time consuming drives. Lots of big runs and pass plays for scores in games prior to Miami game.

Miami DC does this with defensive game plan knowing Nebraska OC response will be to run the ball and run it some more against a defense that was playing pretty straight up against the run and pass. He just hoped his guys up front would be able to stop Abdullah often enough or the Nebraska O would hurt self with penalties or sloppy play. I don't disagree with plan considering what the Nebraska O had already put on tape.

Did the staff ever consider that Nebraska had trouble maintaining drives BECAUSE OTHER TEAMS STACKED THE BOX?!

Advertisement
Really..Are you sure? Because the Nebraska offense has had a great deal of success moving the ball against that Mich St defense. Even last year, if not for 5 turnovers, many unforced against that Spartan D last year, Nebraska beats Sparty.

Nebraska was -5 turnovers against Spartans in Lincoln last year. Too be -5 against Rose Bowl champs and still in game. -5 turnover day against quality team like that usually leads to loss much worse than 14 points

That's it, you convinced me. I think the staff got what they wanted. Force them to run the ball against us to the tune of 360+ yards. The real takeaway is that we held them to 113 yards passing! Moral VICTORY! We love those.

Hear a lot of Cane fans unhappy with Canes DC not placing 7-8 defenders in box against Nebraska O and Abdullah.

Got me thinking of Nebraska's first td, the 40 yard pass to Kenny Bell. Looked at video again and Bell ran straight up seam, didn't meet a safety anywhere along route. Why? Because both safeties were much closer to LOS at snap than standard cover two shell with two deep safeties.

I am quite certain Nebraska OC Tim Beck made it a point to show a deep pass early to Miami's DC. This one went for a td and Nebraska put on film prior to Sat game, the ability to hurt defenses with big passes.

Miami's pass defense would have been toasted badly if Canes DC had chosen to play 7-8 in box every play. He chose, and I understand this, a slow death, the run game, hoping his defense would tackle well enough without 7-8 in box to force Nebraska to make long multiple play drives. Something, that prior to Sat this Nebraska O hadn't done. Yet anyway.

The other choice was a quick death, by being big played to death by the passing game.

Nebraska showed they could do it early. How many times are enough?

MCNeese State played man and kept 8 and 9 in the box all game. So why could they do it and not us?

mcn10_zpsc0614b0b.jpg

Mcn1_zpse77d7578.jpg

Hear a lot of Cane fans unhappy with Canes DC not placing 7-8 defenders in box against Nebraska O and Abdullah.

Got me thinking of Nebraska's first td, the 40 yard pass to Kenny Bell. Looked at video again and Bell ran straight up seam, didn't meet a safety anywhere along route. Why? Because both safeties were much closer to LOS at snap than standard cover two shell with two deep safeties.

I am quite certain Nebraska OC Tim Beck made it a point to show a deep pass early to Miami's DC. This one went for a td and Nebraska put on film prior to Sat game, the ability to hurt defenses with big passes.

Miami's pass defense would have been toasted badly if Canes DC had chosen to play 7-8 in box every play. He chose, and I understand this, a slow death, the run game, hoping his defense would tackle well enough without 7-8 in box to force Nebraska to make long multiple play drives. Something, that prior to Sat this Nebraska O hadn't done. Yet anyway.

The other choice was a quick death, by being big played to death by the passing game.

MCNeese State played man and kept 8 and 9 in the box all game. So why could they do it and not us?

mcn10_zpsc0614b0b.jpg

Mcn1_zpse77d7578.jpg

They trust there CBs to stop that vaunted passing game without 2 deep safties at all times.

Advertisement

Nebraska got smoked at home by UCLA and Iowa (hahaha) last year. They also lost to Minnesota. Congrats on mediocrity, I'm glad you enjoy it. A once proud program that is happy with 9-4 seasons. Something to be proud of.

A product of a O line still trying to gel, replacing 4 starters. McNeese DL was small and couldn't play against Nebraska OL straight up. They took a lot of chances with stunts, strange twists, among DL and then brought blitzes, often more than one blitzer from odd places. It caused communication issues, technique errors as a group in Nebraska OL.

Prior to McNeese game this Nebraska OL had about 15 total starts as a group with 12-13 of those to LG Jake Cotton.

A product of a O line still trying to gel, replacing 4 starters. McNeese DL was small and couldn't play against Nebraska OL straight up. They took a lot of chances with stunts, strange twists, among DL and then brought blitzes, often more than one blitzer from odd places. It caused communication issues, technique errors as a group in Nebraska OL.

Prior to McNeese game this Nebraska OL had about 15 total starts as a group with 12-13 of those to LG Jake Cotton.

You sure seem to have a lot of info on Nebraska.

Advertisement

Keep telling your self that, a lot of teams offensive linemen QB's RB's all suddenly seem to gel when they play a golden coached miami defense. that mcneese st game was a product of what nebraska is a one dimensional mediocre team

One dimensional to the tune of averaging 260ish rushing, 260ish passing per game, prior to game against Miami.

So essentially what you are saying is that our defense could not take away ANYTHING Nebraska wanted to do.

One dimensional to the tune of averaging 260ish rushing, 260ish passing per game, prior to game against Miami.

FAMU has a better passing offense than Nebraska. It's all downhill for both of us, I'm afraid.

You're gonna lose to Iowa again.

Advertisement
Back