Miami 7-8 defenders near LOS Nebraska

Drew95

Recruit
Hear a lot of Cane fans unhappy with Canes DC not placing 7-8 defenders in box against Nebraska O and Abdullah.

Got me thinking of Nebraska's first td, the 40 yard pass to Kenny Bell. Looked at video again and Bell ran straight up seam, didn't meet a safety anywhere along route. Why? Because both safeties were much closer to LOS at snap than standard cover two shell with two deep safeties.

I am quite certain Nebraska OC Tim Beck made it a point to show a deep pass early to Miami's DC. This one went for a td and Nebraska put on film prior to Sat game, the ability to hurt defenses with big passes.

Miami's pass defense would have been toasted badly if Canes DC had chosen to play 7-8 in box every play. He chose, and I understand this, a slow death, the run game, hoping his defense would tackle well enough without 7-8 in box to force Nebraska to make long multiple play drives. Something, that prior to Sat this Nebraska O hadn't done. Yet anyway.

The other choice was a quick death, by being big played to death by the passing game.

Nebraska showed they could do it early. How many times are enough?

Advertisement
We played single high safety almost the entire game. That pass play was cover 3 and for some reason the middle deep safety decided to fly up field which led the middle of the field wide open.

Hear a lot of Cane fans unhappy with Canes DC not placing 7-8 defenders in box against Nebraska O and Abdullah.

Got me thinking of Nebraska's first td, the 40 yard pass to Kenny Bell. Looked at video again and Bell ran straight up seam, didn't meet a safety anywhere along route. Why? Because both safeties were much closer to LOS at snap than standard cover two shell with two deep safeties.

I am quite certain Nebraska OC Tim Beck made it a point to show a deep pass early to Miami's DC. This one went for a td and Nebraska put on film prior to Sat game, the ability to hurt defenses with big passes.

Miami's pass defense would have been toasted badly if Canes DC had chosen to play 7-8 in box every play. He chose, and I understand this, a slow death, the run game, hoping his defense would tackle well enough without 7-8 in box to force Nebraska to make long multiple play drives. Something, that prior to Sat this Nebraska O hadn't done. Yet anyway.

The other choice was a quick death, by being big played to death by the passing game.

Once, once was enough for our defense to play so soft.

Advertisement
Didn't the safety blitz on TD pass? If recollection is right, it may have been Bush - don't hold me to ID - but engulfed by OL and never got close to QB.

Get beat once for a big play and decide to sit back and get *** raped by the run the rest of the game. I think I read somewhere that is what all good DCs do. I could be wrong though.

nebraska is a one dimensional team you will have multiple losses this year against teams with competent coaching staffs, i dont know why you are so insecure about the way nebraska won on the ground seems like you're still seeking validation by trying to tout the passing game in all these threads. That QB was average he threw a duck straight to tracy howard most coaching staffs will stack the box and make him beat them all day, #8 is the best player its not even close. go back to the corn ***** board

I really think Miami DC plan was to force the Nebraska offense into long 8, 10, 12 play and longer drives. Because prior to Miami game, and this was a huge concern for Nebraska fans, this offense had yet to show that it could grind out numerous long time consuming drives. Lots of big runs and pass plays for scores in games prior to Miami game.

Miami DC does this with defensive game plan knowing Nebraska OC response will be to run the ball and run it some more against a defense that was playing pretty straight up against the run and pass. He just hoped his guys up front would be able to stop Abdullah often enough or the Nebraska O would hurt self with penalties or sloppy play. I don't disagree with plan considering what the Nebraska O had already put on tape.

Advertisement
The seams are always open in this defense. It was open several times at Louisville. If their receivers didnt drop 2-3 of them the score would of been even worse.

Didn't the safety blitz on TD pass? If recollection is right, it may have been Bush - don't hold me to ID - but engulfed by OL and never got close to QB.

Yep. And then Dallas decided to come up field and just stand there after he realized it wasn't a run.

One interception. Golly gee! It happens sometimes! 9 td passes, 2 interceptions..I think any cornfuker fan can largely be ok with a qb that can't throw like that. Okie dokie

You're wrong. We should've forced them to beat us through the air.

Advertisement

super_slurper_tank_top_tshirt-r8e4422a7f23741cfacfedd98f81ccc64_8nhmt_324.jpg

To OP. You're saying Dino adjusted after 1 passing touchdown drive but none of their running TD drives?

Advertisement
I really think Miami DC plan was to force the Nebraska offense into long 8, 10, 12 play and longer drives. Because prior to Miami game, and this was a huge concern for Nebraska fans, this offense had yet to show that it could grind out numerous long time consuming drives. Lots of big runs and pass plays for scores in games prior to Miami game.

Miami DC does this with defensive game plan knowing Nebraska OC response will be to run the ball and run it some more against a defense that was playing pretty straight up against the run and pass. He just hoped his guys up front would be able to stop Abdullah often enough or the Nebraska O would hurt self with penalties or sloppy play. I don't disagree with plan considering what the Nebraska O had already put on tape.

His plan was poor because we couldn't execute. We need to stop blaming players. The plan does not put them in position to make the play. Just because you "ask" a player to do certain things, it doesn't mean they are capable. And that's not saying the kids aren't good enough, they are just impossible situations.....same way you wouldn't ask Stacey Coley to drive block a DT.

exactly what happened Bush blitzed and didn't get anywhere close, no safety help on long pass, TD

Lol one pass and u stop? Let's get one thing clear. If Nebraska decided to air it out they would have thrown for 400 yards. Yall think the problem is the coverage and how far our players are? No its that we have no impact from the DL. Not one tfl! That's the problem. Hold up space and try to get off blocks when the player us past you. That is the problem, our DL play is non existent, and it's not talent. We have alot of talent on the DL. Luther Robinson shot into the backfield and forced a fumble on BC, they chewed him out and benched him. That's puts into perfect perspective.

One interception. Golly gee! It happens sometimes! 9 td passes, 2 interceptions..I think any cornfuker fan can largely be ok with a qb that can't throw like that. Okie dokie

if you want to delude your self in to thinking that nebraska piled up a bunch of rushing yards because of your "great" passing game and instead ignore 3 years worth of stats against this staff then be my guest. I've told you before you didnt accomplish anything unique freaking DUKE the basketball school went for more rushing yards than nebraska against us.

Advertisement
Back