Miami (+3) @ NC St on ESPN2 1/30 Tues 9PM

Couldn’t watch the game but a disappointing loss. I’m not sure what’s wrong with Poplar. He did dunk, so maybe he’s not hurt anymore.

Advertisement
Miami doesn't have a lack of depth issue.
Miami has a coach that doesn't play his players issue.
The "lack of depth" issue was created by Coach L and his decision to play Small Ball with only 7 guys.
You mean, exactly like he did last season getting to the Final Four?

Lets go Canes come out hot on the road and hold them off!

I'm rolling with a Miami/Cuse parlay both on the road to win Moneyline at +537 $31 to win $200
Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Couldn’t watch the game but a disappointing loss. I’m not sure what’s wrong with Poplar. He did dunk, so maybe he’s not hurt anymore.
Guys handle the mental aspects of coming back from injury differently. Poplar has looked like a different player since the injury. Not nearly as assertive as he was in Nov/Dec. He was more so last nite but the results weren't there.

Advertisement
This team has ruined basketball season for me, at least up to this point.

I live in ACC country, and the media up here were talking about "What's wrong with Miami"? yesterday. North Carolina fan had called in, and Clemson host was discussing.

There is no way a team with:

Nigel Pack
Norchad Omier
Matthew Cleveland
Wooga Poplar

should be this average of a team.

I live in ACC country, and the media up here were talking about "What's wrong with Miami"? yesterday. North Carolina fan had called in, and Clemson host was discussing.

Nigel Pack
Norchad Omier
Matthew Cleveland
Wooga Poplar

You’re absolutely right. But once again it all comes down to roster management. We had all the momentum in the **** world and decided to sign 1 transfer. Thankfully he’s been a stud for us but I just don’t understand not being more aggressive for another addition… maybe 2.

Nigel Pack
Norchad Omier
Matthew Cleveland
Wooga Poplar

Poor roster fits
Coaching
Lack of depth

Two of these three issues weren’t glaring the previous two seasons

You’re absolutely right. But once again it all comes down to roster management. We had all the momentum in the **** world and decided to sign 1 transfer. Thankfully he’s been a stud for us but I just don’t understand not being more aggressive for another addition… maybe 2.
In a vacuum, I understand rolling with Watson/Casey/Nwoko as the core or your bench. The former two were highly ranked recruits and I have no issue placing faith in your young talent. Jury is still out on Nwoko but they completely missed on those two evals

Advertisement
Bensley Joseph is killing this team. Yes he's a hustler but turns the ball over too many times and is out of control. Omier commits the dumbest fouls when reaching for an opponent and they are all unnecessay. Its been said Poplar looks like a different player and he is selfish. Coach L is the same guy but his coaching has been sub par this year to say the least. Last night was no different than previou games. Unfortunately, we are lucky to play in the NIT and this must be the dumbest team I've ever seen play basketball.

Nigel Pack
Norchad Omier
Matthew Cleveland
Wooga Poplar

We should not be an average team. However, with the way we play and with poor coaching, that is what we are.

You act like that was L's choice. I suspect it wasn't.

Advertisement
As mentioned throughout the season we have seen flaws such as rebounding, shot selection, defense, standing around, etc... but it's becoming quite obvious the absence of a top-notch reliable point guard is possibly the worst flaw. This was mentioned a lot at the start of the season and during November games a lot, as Poplar, Pack, Omier (trying something new), and Bensley were definitely not up to the task.

While starting, Bensley inherited the role mostly, and his decisions to take bad early shots (or good shots he isn't talented enough to make) and make errant passes has burned us throughout. It leads to turnovers, heroball, exhaustion, and losses. Ball-handlers are NOT us.

We prospered last 2 seasons without a starring bigman other than Omier, and if we had a top-notch point guard, we might be prospering now. I'd put that at the top of the portal needs, even ahead of height.

This team kinda reminds me of the Chris Lykes years. If Jim's PG doesn't get into the lane, the whole operation grinds to a halt.

The problem with thinking about next years team is that there is no “guy” just a bunch of pieces. Even less pieces than this year. Cleveland is a piece not the guy. Poplar is a piece not the guy (maybe that changes when he doesn’t have to touch the ball so much idk). Nwoko needs to develop and fast. George needs development. He’s basically early Wong from 3 right now and his ball handling is sub par. Bens needs to be banned from starting and handling the ball. 3 and D guy only. Watson needs more time. He’s the only guy off the bench that I haven’t completely given up on.

You have to go get an experienced guard and a true #1 scoring guard. I’d also go get experience at the 5 too.
Go watch some Jalil Bethea highlights and see if that changes your mind

Advertisement
Don’t want to just put this on one player or anything like that because this team is the opposite of having synergy. Our individuals are more talented than the sum of the parts. I always wondered why FSU couldn’t compete with Cleveland. He’s a talented player. But he just seems to be out there. Same with wooga. We are just not cohesive at all. I’m sure a team like Kansas or UConn would love to have a wooga. But this team just seems to be a bunch of individuals. That’s very trite but also very true. We really need to find pieces in the portal next year that create synergy.

Advertisement
Back