Miami (+3) @ NC St on ESPN2 1/30 Tues 9PM

We will never ascend to the point we were at the past two seasons. Hope ya'll enjoyed it.
Oh bull**** you don't know that. You have the best class in school history coming in and we will be very active in the portal. Cleveland and George give you length and will be much better next year. Two years ago this school went to the Elite 8 coming off 3 consecutive losing seasons.

Advertisement
Wake Cuse UL will haunt us. Tonight ended us.

Probably but the story isn’t yet written.

Bens can go back to the bench, things can start to click, and we can actually realize our preseason potential.

Not saying that’s likely. But also not impossible.

Especially with Nwoko making a jump and the Djobet surprise and Cleveland getting healthy.

Advertisement
What? Only one to show heart was Pack. He carried them in the 2nd half. No one else showed up in 2nd half.

Come on dude! Yeah it sucks that we lost but your statement couldn’t be further from the truth. The team played hard. They just didn’t make plays when they needed to down the stretch and missing all of those free throws proved to be the nail in our coffin.

You can’t honestly say they didn’t play with heart tonight! Just because Pack seemed to be the only one consistently making shots tonight doesn’t mean he’s the only one that played with heart. If he was missing those shots, you would probably be bashing him too!

Never been more disappointed in a canes season. Also never had expectations this high.

I hope Pack, Wooga, George and Cleveland come back next year and use this year as motivation. Those 4 plus some transfers and the incoming freshman should make us good next year if we stay healthy and everyone does the opposite of what they did this year.

Probably but the story isn’t yet written.

Bens can go back to the bench, things can start to click, and we can actually realize our preseason potential.

Not saying that’s likely. But also not impossible.

Especially with Nwoko making a jump and the Djobet surprise and Cleveland getting healthy.

I can say with 100% certainty this team is not going to the NCAA. It would be different if we hadn’t just finished the easy part of our schedule

Pack missing 2 free throws. He makes those and we are down 2 with 40 to go. Omier missing bunnies. Also impacts defense.

Poplar was miserable. Joseph remains miserable and his defense hasn't been very good. Poplar on defense is a liability.
The refusal to address replacing Wong with a true lead guard has led to a lot of this. Poplar thrived playing off ball last year, whether that was being a catch and shoot threat or allowing the gravity of playing with a guy like Wong to open up opportunities in the midrange, where he was almost automatic by season's end. His usage is up considerably year over year and that's made him less effective on the defensive end as given how much he has to expend on the offensive end.

Bensley's best moments were last year when he could fill the role of a sparkplug/bulldog off the bench. With all due respect, he's too small and not skilled enough offensively to go from 20 to 30 minutes per game. His lack of size also makes him redundant paired next to Pack in what was already a small starting lineup. I never understood it and still think it was an awful, shortsighted decision to go all-in on Bensley as the starting 2.

Finally, swapping Miller for Cleveland seemed like a wash on paper, and I'll admit that I was off on this. Cleveland is more versatile and skilled offensively and is statistically having a better year than Jordan did last year, but he gives up a lot more defensively as well as fit next to Omier. Miller could guard up more effectively than Cleveland can and his post-up game/ability to work along the baseline avoided us having to go 4 out/1 in like we've had to do this season. We're putting a ton of pressure on Norchad on both ends, with little depth behind him.

I'm interested to see how they approach roster construction next year. Bethea's length and ability to score will allow Wooga to pick his spots and will also take pressure off of Pack having to create as much as he's being asked to (assuming both come back). My big question is how do they address the Cleveland/Omier fit?

Advertisement
I can say with 100% certainty this team is not going to the NCAA. It would be different if we hadn’t just finished the easy part of our schedule
You have it completely backwards.

You WANT the hard part of the schedule ahead! That's what the committee cares about - big wins. We will have opportunities.

But we need to start playing better.

The refusal to address replacing Wong with a true lead guard has led to a lot of this. Poplar thrived playing off ball last year, whether that was being a catch and shoot threat or allowing the gravity of playing with a guy like Wong open up opportunities in the midrange. His usage is up considerably year over year and that's made him less effective on the defensive end as well given he has to expend on the offensive end.

Bensley's best moments were last year when he could fill the role as a sparkplug/bulldog off the bench. All due respect, but he's too small and not skilled enough offensively to go from 20 to 30 minutes per. His lack size also makes him redundant next to Pack in what was already a small lineup. I never understood it and still think it was an awful, shortsighted decision to go all-in on Bensley as the starting 2.

Finally, swapping Miller for Cleveland seemed like a wash on paper, and I'll admit that I was off on this. Cleveland is more versatile and skilled offensively and is statistically having a better year than Jordan did last year, but we give up a lot more defensively as well as fit next to Omier. Miller could guard up more effectively than Cleveland can and his post-up game/ability to work along the baseline, avoided us having to go 4 out/1 in like we've had to do this season. We're putting a ton of pressure on Norchad, with little depth behind him.

I'm interested to see how they approach roster construction next year. Bethea's length and ability to score will allow Wooga to pick his spots and it will also take pressure off of Pack having to create as much as he's being asked to. My big question is how do they address the Cleveland/Omier fit.
Omier won't be on the roster next year. He said repeatedly in the preseason this was his last year.

And who knows what the rest of the roster will look like. I think we will have lots of attrition.

The refusal to address replacing Wong with a true lead guard has led to a lot of this. Poplar thrived playing off ball last year, whether that was being a catch and shoot threat or allowing the gravity of playing with a guy like Wong to open up opportunities in the midrange, where he was almost automatic by season's end. His usage is up considerably year over year and that's made him less effective on the defensive end as given how much he has to expend on the offensive end.

Bensley's best moments were last year when he could fill the role of a sparkplug/bulldog off the bench. With all due respect, he's too small and not skilled enough offensively to go from 20 to 30 minutes per game. His lack of size also makes him redundant paired next to Pack in what was already a small starting lineup. I never understood it and still think it was an awful, shortsighted decision to go all-in on Bensley as the starting 2.

Finally, swapping Miller for Cleveland seemed like a wash on paper, and I'll admit that I was off on this. Cleveland is more versatile and skilled offensively and is statistically having a better year than Jordan did last year, but he gives up a lot more defensively as well as fit next to Omier. Miller could guard up more effectively than Cleveland can and his post-up game/ability to work along the baseline avoided us having to go 4 out/1 in like we've had to do this season. We're putting a ton of pressure on Norchad on both ends, with little depth behind him.

I'm interested to see how they approach roster construction next year. Bethea's length and ability to score will allow Wooga to pick his spots and will also take pressure off of Pack having to create as much as he's being asked to (assuming both come back). My big question is how do they address the Cleveland/Omier fit?
Assuming Poplar stays. Omier is gone. He has nothing more to prove at this level. Best player in the ACC. It opens up a ton of portal opportunities next year.

Oh bull**** you don't know that. You have the best class in school history coming in and we will be very active in the portal. Cleveland and George give you length and will be much better next year. Two years ago this school went to the Elite 8 coming off 3 consecutive losing seasons.
Big IF on Cleveland and George returning. I think at this point they should but that usually doesn't mean much. Well see

Advertisement

So in this scenario you are assuming pack, wooga, omier and Cleveland return. No way in **** that happens. I think it'll be a miracle if 2 of those 4 return and more likely only 1 or none of them come back. Could very well lose George as well...wouldn't shock me if casey and watson portal out also. Could be a near total roster reconstruction

Return to sanity! Hooray!

We’ll see how the rest of the season goes but L might have overshot on his assessment of Poplar’s abilities and role this year. That’s a surprise to me because L didn’t want poplar dribbling last year (dribble dribble turnover - in his words) but went into this season talking about poplar spending time at the 1. I think he expected a bigger jump than actually happened.

Cleveland doesn’t like to bang which leaves Omier on an island and hurts us defensively and on the boards. He’s a 4 who wants to play the 3 right now… but still a great kid and great player who we’re lucky to have.

This was supposed to be a team that scored in droves with great ball movement - not as much an iso and score team like last year. But we started the year so bad defensively that guys got off-kilter and selfish and we just haven’t been able to find a rhythm with injuries, etc.

So in this scenario you are assuming pack, wooga, omier and Cleveland return. No way in **** that happens. I think it'll be a miracle if 2 of those 4 return and more likely only 1 or none of them come back. Could very well lose George as well...wouldn't shock me if casey and watson portal out also. Could be a near total roster reconstruction
Ky is averaging 7-3-2 and his 3 pt % is coming back down to earth. He's not getting drafted. Wooga hasn't been good in ACC play and I can't see him having an opportunity to raise his stock back close to preseason levels given we're an NIT team at best right now. I think he comes back too.

Cleveland is having a good season statistically but it's empty calories. I don't see him being taken in any mocks. Does he follow the Miller blueprint and try to raise his stock on a contending team? Perhaps that's 50/50.

I guess Pack and Omier leaving are the most realistic and lead to roster rebalancing possibilities.

Advertisement
We will never ascend to the point we were at the past two seasons. Hope ya'll enjoyed it.
FSU hasn't been to the final 4 in 50+ years. Iowa hasn't been to the 2nd weekend in decades. Purdue hasn't been to the final 4 in 40+ years.

Your comment isn't an insult. Winning 7 games in March in a 2 year span is really hard to do.

Ky is averaging 7-3-2 and his 3 pt % is coming back down to earth. He's not getting drafted. Wooga hasn't been good in ACC play and I can't see him having an opportunity to raise his stock back close to preseason levels given we're an NIT team at best right now. I think he comes back too.

Cleveland is having a good season statistically but it's empty calories. I don't see him being taken in any mocks. Does he follow the Miller blueprint and try to raise his stock on a contending team? Perhaps that's 50/50.

I guess Pack and Omier leaving are the most realistic.
Have you followed college basketball in recent years? Every year there are hundreds of lateral transfers. We have no idea who is coming back.

I bet a number of our guys will go to the combine or the pre-combine (that Omier went to last spring) and then we'll see what happens.

The problem with thinking about next years team is that there is no “guy” just a bunch of pieces. Even less pieces than this year. Cleveland is a piece not the guy. Poplar is a piece not the guy (maybe that changes when he doesn’t have to touch the ball so much idk). Nwoko needs to develop and fast. George needs development. He’s basically early Wong from 3 right now and his ball handling is sub par. Bens needs to be banned from starting and handling the ball. 3 and D guy only. Watson needs more time. He’s the only guy off the bench that I haven’t completely given up on.

You have to go get an experienced guard and a true #1 scoring guard. I’d also go get experience at the 5 too.

Last edited:
As mentioned throughout the season we have seen flaws such as rebounding, shot selection, defense, standing around, etc... but it's becoming quite obvious the absence of a top-notch reliable point guard is possibly the worst flaw. This was mentioned a lot at the start of the season and during November games a lot, as Poplar, Pack, Omier (trying something new), and Bensley were definitely not up to the task.

While starting, Bensley inherited the role mostly, and his decisions to take bad early shots (or good shots he isn't talented enough to make) and make errant passes has burned us throughout. It leads to turnovers, heroball, exhaustion, and losses. Ball-handlers are NOT us.

We prospered last 2 seasons without a starring bigman other than Omier, and if we had a top-notch point guard, we might be prospering now. I'd put that at the top of the portal needs, even ahead of height.

Advertisement
Back