Miami 247 Recruiting Ratings - Wide Receiver Edition

Advertisement
Jeff Thomas and Coley were productive. But overall we got 2 maybe 3 very productive #1/2 WR production and only a few #3/4 WR seasons. You almost can’t make this up how bad it’s been at that position.
Coley is one that hurts I feel like if he was a class of 2022 with this staff and environment and strength program he would go first round

I’ll expand and say I feel like a couple of those names were “recruiting wins”…. Derrick Griffin who everyone knew was never going to make it in, Ole glue hands who was slow as ****, pope, and Payton

Then you have a couple of dudes who I wonder if a different system would have helped them shine more Thomas, Moore and especially Coley
Thomas could have done well in another system. Coley could have done well had he been able to play two downs in a row.

Advertisement
Derrick Griffin is one of my all-time "what-ifs". 6-7 230 lb - He was the ultimate athlete. Lots of weird circumstances around his recruitment.

He ended up at Texas Southern and was All-SWAC WR as a Freshman & SWAC Player of the Year in Basketball as a Soph

He's still in the NBA G-League
I think Skinner is going to show us what it would have felt like

Home Alone Kevin GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
This flies in the face of the “south Florida WRs spurning UM bc they’re divas”, no?

Imagine it’s an easy negative recruiting pitch being a rival coach and reading that list to Innis, Williams, Jean, etc.

This flies in the face of the “south Florida WRs spurning UM bc they’re divas”, no?

Imagine it’s an easy negative recruiting pitch being a rival coach and reading that list to Innis, Williams, Jean, etc.
As bad I hate to say it, you're 1,000% correct. If it takes one year to prove ourselves with Mario at the helm, it is what it is......our administration dug us into this hole, now Mario has come to get us out.

And even with this....we STILL have 2 of the top 5 in Florida (not counting IMG).

Innis-Hykeem-Joseph-Washington-Jean

Mario was on the other side of it, so he knows.

BTW, I think we flip Jean and wind up with 3 of the top 5. In a generational year of Florida WR talent...that would be a coup for us, considering how accurate the above post is/was

Advertisement
We had an okay WR room until 2019. Then it's all transfers. In the mid 2000s we may have had Legget but we also had Darnell Jenkins and CBs like Sam Shields making plays.

Basically all the top guys are good for a freshman year and then they either disappear forever or don't show up again until their senior year.

Except that 2018 class. Those guys never showed up.

Based on that top 20 it goes
#1 Stacey Coley - serious dude. He got it done. He had the game winning/tying late 4th quarter TDs against FSU back to back years. We still lost those games
#2 Travis Benjamin - toss up but he came down with the ball and brought us back in several big games (that we still lost, VT, FSU)
#3 Sam Shields - Solid 3 years at reciever. Nice arm too. Good CB
#4 Jeff Thomas- could have been great but solid 2 years
#5 Ahmmon Richards- would be higher but only gave us 1.5 years
#6 K.J. - Solid leader and player. Only have us 1 year as a transfer
#7 Ryan Moore- he would be lower but it's hard to find people to go ahead of him. Nice 2003 campaign as a freshman. But then several years as a ghost
#8 Tommy Streeter- finally came on his JR year then bounced
#9-19 absolutely nothing from these folks
#20 Lance Legget - flashed as a freshman. Had the size and talent. Maybe catching that post against FSU would have changed the trajectory of your career? But it was terrible. I feel like other WRs dropped the ball out of sympathy for you. You caught the ball the way Kirby Freeman threw it.

so I counted 5 (hard with the true sophomores bc of lack of exp to really judge them) that were decent.

We had an okay WR room until 2019. Then it's all transfers. In the mid 2000s we may have had Legget but we also had Darnell Jenkins and CBs like Sam Shields making plays.

Basically all the top guys are good for a freshman year and then they either disappear forever or don't show up again until their senior year.

Except that 2018 class. Those guys never showed up.

Based on that top 20 it goes
#1 Stacey Coley - serious dude. He got it done. He had the game winning/tying late 4th quarter TDs against FSU back to back years. We still lost those games
#2 Travis Benjamin - toss up but he came down with the ball and brought us back in several big games (that we still lost, VT, FSU)
#3 Sam Shields - Solid 3 years at reciever. Nice arm too. Good CB
#4 Jeff Thomas- could have been great but solid 2 years
#5 Ahmmon Richards- would be higher but only gave us 1.5 years
#6 K.J. - Solid leader and player. Only have us 1 year as a transfer
#7 Ryan Moore- he would be lower but it's hard to find people to go ahead of him. Nice 2003 campaign as a freshman. But then several years as a ghost
#8 Tommy Streeter- finally came on his JR year then bounced
#9-19 absolutely nothing from these folks
#20 Lance Legget - flashed as a freshman. Had the size and talent. Maybe catching that post against FSU would have changed the trajectory of your career? But it was terrible. I feel like other WRs dropped the ball out of sympathy for you. You caught the ball the way Kirby Freeman threw it.
richards over Thomas. not even close there.

Advertisement
Back