Miami 247 Recruiting Ratings - Quarterback Edition

Advertisement
Advertisement
There's a lot of Reggie in that list....
ron simmons wrestling GIF
Well…

Reggie definitely seems to be a thing of the past.

Wow, I forgot Jarren Williams was ranked that highly. What a dud.

He had talent...his issues were mental. He was literally a RS Freshman...and he;

-Threw at 63% against a UF team in game 1, with 1 TD and 0 INT's despite getting sacked like 20 times. Reminder, this is the UF team that went 11-2
-Threw at 76% (39 attempts) against UNC with 300 yards, 2 TD and 0 INT
-Beat FSU with 300 yards passing, 2 TD 0 int
-6 TD's against Louisville

After that Louisville game he checked out and hasn't been the same since.

Advertisement
Kaaya was a good player. Certainly good enough if he hadn't played for a head coach that had a DC that couldn't stop a leaky faucet

Cannon Smith
Preston Dewey
Gray Crow
Evan Shirrefs
Cade Weldon
Peyton Matocha

Bruh......
Dewey seemed like he could play. But I remember even the most optimistic of Canes fans having difficulty speaking positively about the other guys

Gray Crows entire highlight film was him handing the ball off

Advertisement
This graph makes a case to not look at rankings for HS QB’s. Our highest ranking year was when Wright and Freeman were here. We all know how that went. I don’t need to look at HS rankings to know this years QB Squad is the best we have had since Dorsey was here.

Dewey seemed like he could play. But I remember even the most optimistic of Canes fans having difficulty speaking positively about the other guys

Gray Crows entire highlight film was him handing the ball off
I wasn’t necessarily against signing Dewey, Thompson, and Crow that year. We desperately needed QB depth and even when taking three 3 star players, there was a chance that one would work out. Crow ended up being a depth player, Dewey suffered a career ending injury, and Thompson went baseball.

I wasn’t necessarily against signing Dewey, Thompson, and Crow that year. We desperately needed QB depth and even when taking three 3 star players, there was a chance that one would work out. Crow ended up being a depth player, Dewey suffered a career ending injury, and Thompson went baseball.
Oh no doubt. I was kinda just joking though it was pretty clear we didn’t have a lot of options. It’s gonna be hard to convince multiple QBs to come play for a struggling program in the middle of some BS, and them being ok being practice fodder

Advertisement
Some of those names shouldn't have even been taking snaps on the UM flag football team, much less taking up a scholarship on the actual roster
Smith and Cook were signed for the same reason that we signed Crow and co in 2012; we desperately needed depth with Robert Marve being our only QB exiting 2007. What I didn’t like was that this left us with four 1st and 2nd year players at the position. It was going to be hard to convince a quarterback to come to Miami the following year with so many young players clogging the position.

As it was, Shannon did not sign a QB in 2009 even though Marve left. Then in Aug 2009 we saw Smith and Cook also leave, and suddenly Miami had just one quarterback again in Jacory Harris.

We had some truly awful evaluations at the QB position....what the **** were Cannon Smith, Gray Crow & Evan Shirrefs doing on the Miami Hurricanes roster as scholarship QBs.....

I remember thinking we snuck one out of Texas with Preston Dewey 🤦🏿‍♂️and thinking Kevin Olsen was winning a Heisman lol

Last edited:
The last time a Miami QB played in an NFL game was KenDorsey in 2008. TVD will change that - but it'll be at least a 15 year drought.

In the ACC - only GT has a longer drought, and they ran the Triple-option. Hurts that teams like Wake & Duke have produced NFL QB's and we haven't.

The last time a Miami QB played in an NFL game was KenDorsey in 2008. TVD will change that - but it'll be at least a 15 year drought.

In the ACC - only GT has a longer drought, and they ran the Triple-option. Hurts that teams like Wake & Duke have produced NFL QB's and we haven't.
Our recent history at that position has been choc full of bad evaluations, and sh1tty QB coRching. That's a recipe for disaster.... and that's exactly what has happened.

Advertisement
Back