Coaching Miami’s 2022 football staff

Advertisement
will see how the rest of the staff shakes out within a week according to Mario's timeline. Sure looks like no co-dc though.
You don't have to have a co-DC whether Steele coaches LBs as well or not. The co-DC is really just a way to give another coach a pay bump. If no one else on the DC staff requires an extra title to accomodate a pay bump you don't need to use it. Also there are other titles to give out to accomplish the same thing. At the end of the day co-DC does not mean they are equal and share duties. One guy will still be the actual DC who is calling the plays and determining the scheme while the other guy just has a title to get a pay bump and maybe the actual DC passes some tasks off to him.

Mario likely uses 5 coaches on offense and 5 on defense. If Steele is just DC then you would still have a DL, LB, CB and Safety coach. If he chooses to also coach LB then that LB coach maybe ends being whatever the heck Steele calls his striker in his typicaly 4-2-5 scheme.

You don't have to have a co-DC whether Steele coaches LBs as well or not. The co-DC is really just a way to give another coach a pay bump. If no one else on the DC staff requires an extra title to accomodate a pay bump you don't need to use it. Also there are other titles to give out to accomplish the same thing. At the end of the day co-DC does not mean they are equal and share duties. One guy will still be the actual DC who is calling the plays and determining the scheme while the other guy just has a title to get a pay bump and maybe the actual DC passes some tasks off to him.

Mario likely uses 5 coaches on offense and 5 on defense. If Steele is just DC then you would still have a DL, LB, CB and Safety coach. If he chooses to also coach LB then that LB coach maybe ends being whatever the heck Steele calls his striker in his typicaly 4-2-5 scheme.

my co-dc comment was in reference to some other posts I made concerning other coaching candidates being looked at for possible co-dc positions. My understanding is that Steele would never have accepted a co-dc spot. I don't expect anyone to be named co-dc with Steele on board.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I like the idea of Tom Herman also. The problem with guys like that is once they’ve been a HC most of them don’t want to go back to being an OC/DC again, especially for a job like Miami. If it were Bama or Georgia? Maybe, but anywhere else than that I don’t see it. I’m going to throw two other names out there....Dan Mullen or Rich Rod?
Rich Rod absolutely. Mullen my only concern is recruiting. But he’s a good OC and QB coach.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back