Coaching Miami’s 2022 football staff

Schuman was the guy, and he decided to stay. If you’ believe what you’re saying that means you’ believe Steele was the guy and he walked away because he didn’t want a co dc. That’s absolutely not true. Just like Candle and Briles being offered was Bs.

You’re free to believe what you want though.
Not necessarily. Discussions could have started early with Steele and never really progressed because of Mario’s apparent preference for a co-dc. That’s certainly possible too. Maybe at that point he moves on to Schuman and Belk. Once those fall through he circled back to Steele and gives him the dc position. Pure speculation of course but a lot of posts on here have been too.

Advertisement
Schuman was the guy, and he decided to stay. If you’ believe what you’re saying that means you’ believe Steele was the guy and he walked away because he didn’t want a co dc. That’s absolutely not true. Just like Candle and Briles being offered was Bs.

You’re free to believe what you want though.
If candle was never actually offered does that mean he could still be in the mix?

Seems like Mario was waiting until Dorsey & Brady ... definitively had accepted other positions in the NFL before he was going to be seriously considering making an OC offer to anyone else. So .. it SEEMS like a lot of interviewing took place, a lot of discussions, evaluations, and now, that those two have taken jobs in the NFL, it is time for Mario to seriously revisit his candidates and make a decision. Timing? Within a week? Pure speculation ... but it makes sense to me.

So Mario's own agent (also Candle's agent i think) leaked fake info that Mario offered Candle? If Mario let them do that, Candle definitely owes him a beer.

Advertisement
If you believe that, I got some oceanfront land in Utah for you.
christmas vacation GIF

Advertisement
Okay. It’s from Christmas Vacation. Clark tells the children around dinner that Santa Claus was tracked by the local news station flying towards their home (an obvious joke and not real). And Cousin Eddie (who is an idiot) asks, “Are you serious Clark? Of course Clark isn’t serious.

Your comment about ocean front property in Utah was obviously a joke and not serious. Eddie would ask though, are you serious, Clark?

It’s a joke

Not necessarily. Discussions could have started early with Steele and never really progressed because of Mario’s apparent preference for a co-dc. That’s certainly possible too. Maybe at that point he moves on to Schuman and Belk. Once those fall through he circled back to Steele and gives him the dc position. Pure speculation of course but a lot of posts on here have been too.
Ok I feel like what you are saying is that maybe Mario had initial talks with Steele to kind of feel him out. All the while really going after Shuman and or Belk - and when those choices eventually fell through he was able to double back to Steele and it developed quickly because he had already had the initial talks. If that is what you are saying it does seem like it could be very plausible.

Advertisement
I just wonder why not offer Tom Herman a bag of cash and an assistant HC title to go along with being our OC. He was a really good one at Ohio Taint. His contract with Texas could be a problem bit I’d kick the tires.

I just wonder why not offer Tom Herman a bag of cash and an assistant HC title to go along with being our OC. He was a really good one at Ohio Taint. His contract with Texas could be a problem bit I’d kick the tires.
It would have to be a really big bag of cash. He's getting paid $5m a year not to coach at the moment.

Advertisement
It would have to be a really big bag of cash. He's getting paid $5m a year not to coach at the moment.
I like the idea of Tom Herman also. The problem with guys like that is once they’ve been a HC most of them don’t want to go back to being an OC/DC again, especially for a job like Miami. If it were Bama or Georgia? Maybe, but anywhere else than that I don’t see it. I’m going to throw two other names out there....Dan Mullen or Rich Rod?

Ok I feel like what you are saying is that maybe Mario had initial talks with Steele to kind of feel him out. All the while really going after Shuman and or Belk - and when those choices eventually fell through he was able to double back to Steele and it developed quickly because he had already had the initial talks. If that is what you are saying it does seem like it could be very plausible.
I am just trying to connect dots from various media sources...I have no inside connections. First, it just doesn't make sense that you have a guy with the bonafides like a Steele available during the time Mario is hired and there is no initial contact to gauge interest. They also have the Bama connection. Since Steele was available very early on in the process he (I assume) was one of the first contacts. Not saying he was a top choice the whole time.

It appears that Mario's preference was to have co-dcs, something that Steele may not have been interested doing. So Mario possibly moves on to to other candidates like have been mentioned. Once those guys didn't work out for whatever reason, it's possible he goes back to Steele, arguably the best available, and some may argue even a better choice than either Schuman (who has never called plays) and Belk (who has limited experience) and Mario concedes not having him co-dc with someone else. You also have the fact Steele wasthisclose to officially accepting the DC job at Maryland so adds pressure for Mario to pull the trigger.

This is all conjecture, but in my view totally plausible.

Don’t think this part has been confirmed yet, but would Steele be just DC, or DC + LB coach?

Advertisement
Back