MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Advertisement
The stop at hard rock was already in the proposal, so we wouldn’t be requesting anything that would be a major cost. The only thing I’d propose is a express train that bypasses most stops. All we’d be doing is piggybacking on the project.

While it’s not a given to happen (no infrastructure/ transit ever is), still seems a lot more likely than any potential TP/ Magic City or whatever other site we discuss. Hard Rock will be UM’s more for the long future, let’s try and make the best of the situation. Helping insure the north corridor’s completion and hopefully an express route, would go a good way to making our games more accessible.
Ok. This adds context to it - at least for me as I don’t live there anymore. They’ve already funded the design phase with local/county funds on a fast track. With that they will try to get federal funding, I assume, for acquisitions and then construction. Ok. Sounds like they’re on their way.

I'll pay $79 to skip the Turnpike tolls and gas. And chill out for 3 hours.

Although that IS a one-way price...
They should've went with the Original Speed Rail plan that Former Governor Scott ended after 18 months of work in 2011...It would've ran from OIA to Tampa (Ybor City) and then to Miami at 160mph. Right down the middle of I-4...40ft above ground.

Dade has LONG talked about extending Metro up to Hard Rock and/or Calder. So far...mostly talk (and a few feasibility studies).

Brightline JUST opened the route from West Palm to Orlando. I'm going to try it out one of these weekends, because I'd like to use it for a few games (drive from ATL to ORL on Friday and then take Brightline to/from Miami). From Orlando to Miami is supposed to take less than 3.5 hours, and the premium ticket allows you to drink alcohol.

Brightline largely follows the Flagler train line route between Miami and West Palm.

One of the Miami stations is in Aventura, along US 1 just south of Ives Dairy, across from the Aventura Mall. If you buy the "premium" ticket, it includes a free 5-mile radius Uber/Lyft ride, but I checked, and that will likely only get you to the Publix at 441 and 199th. So I'd probably have to pay for an Uber to get all the way to the stadium.

View attachment 236758
Wow. That’s awesome. I wasn’t aware. I’m so far removed from things like this back home now.

I’m curious - if you know - what was there previously that caused ****nic to be present and at such high levels? Aside from naturally occurring ****nic, and ****nic in treated lumber, you see it on sites up north that may have once been apple orchards, for instance, given the pesticides used. Were there agricultural uses there previously???
Great question...

SoFL is filled with areas that have naturally occuring ****nic at levels above "regulatory limits". Site is presently Melreese golf course (historical aresenic use) so dieldrin levels are probably over the limit.

Oh, and wait until Radon class action lawsuits start (probably one day)...

Advertisement
The pricing is an absolute joke.
"High Speed Train" that takes 3 hours to go 220 miles? I took the bullet train in France over 20 years ago and we covered that same distance in 90 minutes. I live between Orlando and Daytona Beach. 268 miles driving, 3.5 hours to the Orange lot. Taking the "high speed train" I would have 1 hour to Orlando Airport, arriving 30 minutes early for parking and getting to the terminal where the train will depart, so that's 1.5 hours. Then the 3 hour train ride to MIA, where I would have to Uber to Hard Rock. Say you get lucky and get the Uber and are in HRS in 30 minutes. 5 hour trip ... and now you have to look at the reverse trip .... Uber from a crowded HRS to a hotel for the night ... Uber in the am to MIA etc. LOT more convenient to drive. Quicker and much less expensive. Nothing like traveling by train in The Netherlands!! On time and can go virtually everywhere.

The pricing is an absolute joke.
They obviously don't have a marketing/revenue management team that is fully cognizant of potential areas for local growth either.

They price themselves out of being a realistic option for Heat games for Broward and West Palm fans and they run no post midnight trains so thar eliminates any opportunity to market the ability to party in a different county.

For me personally as a downtown Lauderdale resident, it's also often equivalent or cheaper and usually faster overall just to Uber to Brickell or Delray- which kind of sucks because the actual in-train experience on Brightline is good and their stations are new and nice.

"High Speed Train" that takes 3 hours to go 220 miles? I took the bullet train in France over 20 years ago and we covered that same distance in 90 minutes. I live between Orlando and Daytona Beach. 268 miles driving, 3.5 hours to the Orange lot. Taking the "high speed train" I would have 1 hour to Orlando Airport, arriving 30 minutes early for parking and getting to the terminal where the train will depart, so that's 1.5 hours. Then the 3 hour train ride to MIA, where I would have to Uber to Hard Rock. Say you get lucky and get the Uber and are in HRS in 30 minutes. 5 hour trip ... and now you have to look at the reverse trip .... Uber from a crowded HRS to a hotel for the night ... Uber in the am to MIA etc. LOT more convenient to drive. Quicker and much less expensive. Nothing like traveling by train in The Netherlands!! On time and can go virtually everywhere.
They had the High Speed Rail planned. A friend of mine is a Civil Engineer who was working on the project at HNTB. Another friend with DOT was also working on it. Thanks to D*ckhead Scott...the entire project was canceled after 18months of planning and work. $24 to go from OIA to Tampa at 160mph. 2,500 people eventually were layed off.

I'll pay $79 to skip the Turnpike tolls and gas. And chill out for 3 hours.

Although that IS a one-way price...
it isnt 79 though. pricing varies depending on the day and time. its the way the other brightline works in SFL too. i believe i read it starts at 100 or so but that could have changed.

Advertisement
They should've went with the Original Speed Rail plan that Former Governor Scott ended after 18 months of work in 2011...It would've ran from OIA to Tampa (Ybor City) and then to Miami at 160mph. Right down the middle of I-4...40ft above ground.
i4 needs it. it takes 3 hours now to go from orlando to tampa.

They obviously don't have a marketing/revenue management team that is fully cognizant of potential areas for local growth either.

They price themselves out of being a realistic option for Heat games for Broward and West Palm fans and they run no post midnight trains so thar eliminates any opportunity to market the ability to party in a different county.

For me personally as a downtown Lauderdale resident, it's also often equivalent or cheaper and usually faster overall just to Uber to Brickell or Delray- which kind of sucks because the actual in-train experience on Brightline is good and their stations are new and nice.
which is why its dumb.

its only really convenient if you have a depo in downtown FTL and coming from downtown Miami in the middle of the day.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't care what Herbie says....he wasn't at the 89 UM/ND game. I was at both 89 and 2017...and there's absolutely no comparison. I was at UM/ND in 1981 as well (Daytime game)...Loud...but not 89 loud. 1989 ND and 1994 FSU were both louder than FSU 2000...and UF 03...
Cool man to each their own.

You are missing the point and arguing over a baseball stadium since the OB is buried and gone and our current one which absolutely has home field advantage if you are not fully immersed in nostalgic warm and fuzzies isn't worth my time and energy.

Advertisement

Agreed.

They ARE talking about taking Brightline to Tampa next. I would HOPE they could complete the loop and then run it down I-75 through Sarasota and Fort Myers, and then back over to Ft. Lauderdale along I-595.

And then there is an InterModal transportation center being built in downtown Jax. So they've had VERY preliminary discussions about running a line from Cocoa Beach to Jacksonville along I-95.

Look, you can continue to complain. And compare us to Europe. Whatever.

The fact remains, it's going to be one of the fastest trains in the US. Are there faster in Japan? Sure.

The original plan was to have 4 stops (Orlando, West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami). But, as per usual, more stops have been added. So, yes, THAT is what adds to the delay. That and the fact that SoFla has so many rail crossings and the speed between West Palm and Miami is slower than West Palm to Orlando.

I realize that "from Daytona Beach" is a much longer travel time. There's no real solution to be offered (unless they extend Brightline to Jacksonville).

I'm going to use Brightline for noon games and 3:30 games, to see how that all shakes out. I'm not staying at a "hotel for the night".

nothing will ever be built in gables that isnt on existing university land. they hate us. we hate them. its how it is.

Every college town in America is like that.

Lived in G'ville and in Tally in my much younger days. Those locals hated everything about the college kids (except, of course, the money they spent that kept their cities going).

They couldn't wait for the students to be gone for the summer

Advertisement
Back